Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I was suspecting it was spoilt the feckers were! It fierce annoying though. Don’t remember them being this bad years ago but suppose they were more set stocked and getting a bag for longer.

on a separate note, I do the national farm survey every year, a guy from teagasc calls out to go through the figures. I got the report back from 2021 the other day. The tragasc guy mentioned my meal bill was high for the year. I’m consciously trying to pull it back every year. The figure was €36 per ewe. I asked was it high compared to other farms and he said it was. Anyone here think it’s high, low or the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

My meal fig per ewe in 20/21 was £11 per ewe and in 21/22 it was £12. That includes meal for finishing 80 ram lambs each year also. They're blackface ewes so wouldn't be getting near the same level of concentrates as a mule or the likes but scanning around 1.77.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Just for reference for the £11 and £12 Antrim - what price would a ton of ration have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Whats the best ram to but with TexelxBorder Leicester hoggets. The hoggets are fair big sheep, I was thinking a Charlois Ram as a Texel might bring to much Texel back into them any thoughts welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Has anyone on here ever put wheels and a hitch on to one of these type of feeders to make it suitable for towing behind jeep/quad? If so what would be the best possible way or would it be possible? Wouldn't need to be road worth as would only be used around home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I always had to put those feeders on 6 inch blocks to stop the lambs kicking out the meal so I'd imagine making a chassis and wheels to go under it wouldn't be any harm and wouldn't be difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

anyone recommend a solution to for a 18ft footbath in a handling units,so far im finding...the fumes off the formalin in the shed are dreadful,copper sulfate will rot the race to bits and zinc sulfate only works if sheep are left standing in it a while..anyone try any of the products like hoof sure or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

2 cases of flystrike in neighbours Ewes. One of them in a bad way in the inner ear. Thankfully all clear my end so far.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

Did anyone ever give Turbo Thrive Sheep to Texel X lambs. There's copper in it. I usually use Grovite but couldn't get it this weekend.

• Advertisement

Id giving it to lambs today as well. There’d only be very few Texel cross lambs but tbh it never crossed my mind. I doubt it would cause an issue but maybe ask the vet first just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

It’s sound. Use away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

There’s a formalin blend product that’s good. Not as strong as formalin. I walk them they it a few times

Used it yesterday alright. They were definitely tender after it

very little steel in the footbath they we going through yesterday but ya, something to be aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

used provita hoofsure on friday morning here with some lambs that had scald,they definitely seemed to improved since,..just let them walk through it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

Did anyone ever use Healthy Hooves? Mix Zinc or Copper Sulphate with it apparently.

Most times you'll cure it in 24hrs after foot bath, I don't think any of the footbaths work after for every long especially in long wet grass.

I see the formalthehyde blend recommending foot bathing every week or two, I'd agree with that but we just footbath them every time they're in and they never get too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I done it, welded on two wheel barrow wheels, and made a draw bar….two legs to keep it level when not on quad and then removable draw bar to stop ewes scratching and moving it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

great job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have to do the lambs yet for Clik.....were beside the house so could keep an eye on them for maggots,am thinking I might do them with the Clik Extra product as it gives 3 weeks longer protection supposedly than ordinary Clik and is not that much dearer.They will be going to an outfarm with the ewes (shearing them in next few days hopefully)so won't be seen as often for a while.

I've a bunch of hoggetts as well and have never treated adult sheep for Flystrike before but a neighbour was saying he puts a squirt of Clik on any dirty looking ewe or hoggett after clipping each year.

Do people find it handy to treat Hoggetts/ewes with Clik as you have less worries with them then or is it overkill.?

Hoggetts would be for selling in September.

Thanks for any thoughts.

We find that shearing only protects them for a month. There's great comfort when you've them treated with Clik.

If your selling the hoggets they'll look a lot better if they don't marks of maggots on them

All I’ll say is I hope the lad that invented Clik has or will have a bed in heaven! It’s one product that makes life so much easier. Clik extra is only a small bit dearer and if it saved you having to bring the sheep in in the backend only once to treat maggots then it’s well paid for.

how did they manage 100 or 150 years ago? Did they have some sort of chemical then or was it just clipping maggots out I wonder?

Clik being available leaves it hard to understand why farmers let sheep go through the cruelty of maggots.

As if that wasn't enough some then treat the maggots with something thats way too strong and burns the remaining fllesh that the maggots haven't succeeded in eating

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

as for myself put clik on all the lambs and power wash the ewes with cyberguard dip about 3 weeks after being sheared lucky enought was able to get them sheared during the week as they must be a lot of sheep not sheared yet due to weather

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Got the lambs treated with Clik Extra yday afternoon,their fleeces were dry for the Clik going on them,was a changeable kind of a day but chanced them out to field after as there was a breeze.Was dry for around 3 hours after they were done before two heavy enough showers came.Says on it that it will bind to the wool in an hour or two after application as long as fleece not too wet.Hopefully the Clik was gone in at that stage....at the price of it you wouldn't want it washing out. Can still see where it was sprayed on them today which is a good sign I hope 😊

Going to do Hoggetts tomorrow maybe as forecast for a dry enough day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TommieG90

Lads anyone any experience with treating menigitus in a lamb? Found him Tuesday lifeless and limp with head bent back but brought him in to vet and got enough to treat him for a few days, he's improved a bit and is more alert, will bleat and wagtail but still unable to stand and eyes glazed over and head bent back, not sure how long this usually lasts or of hell pull through, any suggestions are appreciated,

He’s up against it by sounds of it unfortunately

• Advertisement

Anyone at the open day in Athenry today?

Advertisement