Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

Thanks all - just to clarify, I was comparing the 77kw T5 to the base model 3.

I go 350km round trip to my elderly mothers place reasonably often at the moment and for short periods. there won’t be an opportunity to charge there. I’d prefer an EV to suit my current needs anyway - aircon, heated seats, 120kmph motorway etc etc. to me it’s just a car with a different propulsion system.

the reason I was looking at the 77kw ID3 was that it’s the size of car we need and potentially the size battery too. ive been on pcp with other VW models for a number of years, and it’s always been easier to just stay in the VW fold on renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 28,034 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Need to charge to 100% for a longer trip, I don't trust the timer - is it safe ok to set it to charge to 100% and have it finish at say 4am, but doing nothing till I leave at 7am?

Is leaving it full that long ok?

It’s 170km e/w, about 80/85% motorway, the rest is country B roads

(edit: by complete and utter coincidence, my friendly local VW dealer called this evening asking if I was interested in changing my 1yo car to an ID3, immediate delivery. They did the same thing last year and gave me the same price as I paid in Feb 2020. Let’s see what numbers they come up with. I’m pretty easy either way).

Post edited by sk8board on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There is charge points on the motorway if going from Dublin to Galway. I still do not know why your general location and where you are going is a secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,034 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was more asking the route. If you've Ionity on the way a 10-15 minute stop might see with plenty of range in winter even with the 58KW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That’s perfectly fine. Won’t do any harm at all, particularly as its just on an odd occasion.

edit: by complete and utter coincidence, my friendly local VW dealer called this evening asking if I was interested in changing my 1yo car. They did the same last year and gave me the same price as I paid in Feb 2020. Let’s see what they come up with).

what are they offering in return? A new ID.3? When would you get it is the issue?

Thanks @KCross

Okay so that was my first journey with public charging. I left home (Galway ) with 100%, stopped in Athlone Ionity for a coffee and said I'd use the ionity as I had never used one before, so maybe 15min there. Anyways got to Dublin did my days work and departed Ikea (near airport ) for Galway. This is where it got odd, the car warned me not enough charge (as i expected ), and by the time I was close to enfield the car kept warning about range - my plan was always to charge again at Athlone ionity.

This is what confused me, close to enfield the GOM read 120ish km, the distance to the Ionity at athlone was 60-70km, but the car wanted me to divert to mullingar to charge! Anways it being my first journey and unsure I pulled into Enfield and reassed with a small ESB charge.

Perhaps I freaked out and misread the prompts or made some error but I can't think what, the only unusual thing was the car saying 'at current power consumtion you cannot make destination' Was doing 110km/h on the motorway, 16C cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭fafy

Very interesting, it would be good to see what the new vehicle costs for cash, (if you are non pcp finance) to see what they are “actually” giving you for your current 2021 ID3.

There are many 2020 ID3 1st editions coming up to being almost 2 years old, and many vw dealers are pricing them at 38k + if i recall, when they were sold originally, they were roughly 34k, with a cash discount of about 1k, when i priced them at the time.

You, might do better privately, but dealer would be likely be less flexible on delivery of the new ID3 in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I fitted two new front wipers today - Bosch Aerotwin AP30U. They're not listed as compatible with the ID.3 but fitted perfectly using the included no.4 adapter.

The original (from new) wipers were starting to streak badly but weren't great even when new. The Aerotwins are a big improvment and still 30% off on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L7Z6K4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ACAandCTA

What did you use for the navigation that it was giving you 'prompts', was it the VW system?

Did my own first big trip at the weekend, Louth to Cork. Used the ABRP app to plan it out beforehand and picked two stop off points for consideration down and back, favourited them in Google maps and used android auto.

On way down, Ionity at Cashel or Amber garage Fermoy and way back, Ballacoola plaza or Portlaoise plaza. I then just flitted between both stops a few times when on route,compared the remaining km to each stop back to my GOM and then stopped in Cashel and Ballacoola. Was really easy, no real range anxiety, the chargers were brilliant (about 30 mins to get back to 80% both times) and got home with about 20% left.

Found it hassle free using Google maps once I had planned the stops beforehand

Yup, just the in car VW sat nav.

The location is immaterial I suppose - I’ve genuinely zero interest in an EV if it’s an inconvenience to me. That 350km motorway round trip is my max, but regular, journey. It’s 1hr45min and doesn’t need a stop midway for sure.

an EV is just a car with a different propulsion. I’d buy the one that does that journey in the depths of winter, at the ID3 ish price

sorry to ask this again, maybe someone has similar experience (re my last post I did an experiment this morning)

Car currently has 123km range on the GOM, so I asked the cars sat nav to bring me to Athlone Ionity - according to the car that is 96km - I clicked start for the route and the car tells me this contains an essential charging stop.

1) 96 < 123 ?

2) Is the car compensating for their being a motorway and it expecting higher power consumption ? On my Dublin drive yesterday 110km/hr didn't seem to eat too much into the GOM range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I wouldn't chance that... get the number of the breakdown rescue guys before you start.

Its just a case of "too close for comfort". You wouldnt want the car to be telling you that no stops are required and then all of a sudden you are at the side of the motorway out of power. It has to build in some buffer to its calculations.

ahh, good to know so the trip computer does have a built in system for that - until now I always assumed it was very vanilla. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Re an EV is just a car with a different propulsion.

So missing the bigger picture :(

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Anyone else having issues with the car charging after the departure time / off peak window and/or partial charging overnight?

• Advertisement

That has never worked properly. Its a well known issue that requires the cars firmware to be updated to v2.4 or v3.0 which is not yet available to existing owners.

Until you get that update you need to delete all the "Locations" in the charging part of the infotainment and start/stop the charge sessions manually via the app.

It feels like you’re going to tell me that people buy EVs for environment reasons, never mind the wider conversation as to why Tesla was very obviously removed this week from the ESG section of the S&P500.

so missing the bigger picture :(

😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Is it confirmed from reviews of 3.0 that it is now working correctly?

If I plug mine in and stop it charging with the app and try restart it hours later via the app it won't work. Is this working for you, maybe it is related to the charger type.

Yes, supposedly working in 2.4 and 3.0. None of us (except new cars off the boat) have either of those versions yet so I'm only the messenger here in terms of whats reported by some youtubers that have got access to it in Germany.

If I plug mine in and stop it charging with the app and try restart it hours later via the app it won't work. Is this working for you, maybe it is related to the charger type.

Yes, that works for me 100% of the time. My car is on v2.3 of the software. Works on multiple charge points.

What happens when you try to restart it via the app? If you go out to the car is it trying to start the session? Do you see the charging light on the car changing colour?

Looking for some advice , I need to do a Galway - Dublin return a few more times. My first trip, I stopped in Athlone on way up for a coffee(with an unneeded ionity) and enfield on way back (needed esb) and Athlone ionity since I was hungry and didn't stay long enough in Enfield.

A few things I learned, the Ionity price adds up fast, and the ESB charger at Enfield is rubbish in terms of the tiny hard to see screen and general easy of use compared to the Ionity.

A better route planner tells me to use the Navan road clonsilla ESB - I have zero local knowlegde and was glad when I was off the M50. I have a small anxiety about the ESB chargers in that there are so few bays and the ionity is faster turn around - maybe im wrong.

Anyone done similar? have route itenery, I have a 58kwhr, drive at 110 and like a coffee stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i sent you a message

Try downloading Bonnet it seems to be the cheapest way to use Ionity

Use “FREECHARGE2” to get a free charge

there is also a 150KW ECars charger in Athlone

If I plugged the car in now and stopped it charging via the app it will take a minute or two but work. If I then started it via the app in say an hour this would also work.

The issue seems to be if I tried to restart it in 3 or 4 hours. I haven't checked the car while trying it but will have a look the next time.

Any idea what version of the software your car is on?

I think there was an issue with the earlier versions (before v2.3) where the car could go into a deep sleep and wouldnt wake up for any commands to charge. That might be it.

On 2.3. It does seem to be doing something similar to going asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JC 3.14159

Is leaving it plugged in once the charge completes an issue at all? I've seen the question asked here a couple of times - what is the downside?

Once the battery is charged to whatever level is set, the charger clicks off and the power flow stops completely. The fact that the cable is still plugged in doesn't seem to be relevant.

I know that fully charging to 100% is a different issue, and that 80% is recommended for battery health etc

Advertisement