Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We can agree on that. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns etc etc.

And in fairness to Farrell, all the things that are being said about Ryan were also said about POM and Murray. They were undroppable until they were dropped. I don't think there any sacred cows with the current coaches, they'll play the best man for the job.

But Ryan is playing really, really well since the 6N. If we're picking the team for the first test based on form, he's going to be in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The selection thing is just a way to frame the argument. I'm firmly of the belief that James Ryan is just a better player than either Henderson or Beirne.

Aso, this might be for the unpopular opinions thread, but Henderson still hasn't reached the potential he displayed in his early 20's. He probably never will at this stage. He has the aggression and power to go to the very top, but levelled out as a very good, but sometimes inconsistent player. I think he strikes a good partnership with Ryan which is probably our strongest pairing overall. But I do think he could have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

When he's at his best, I think Henderson is our best lock. But the problem is he's just so inconsistent. He'll have a game where he's just phenomenal, but then go missing for the next three. When he plays with aggression he is unplayable, but so often he looks like he's just going through the motions. And his discipline at times is horrendous. Against England he was comically bad. He didn't show up at all on the Lions tour last year, and I think he had a real chance of starting a test.

Ryan is consistent. He's not a "moments player" like Beirne. But he's our best lineout jumper by a distance, his offensive breakdown work is outstanding, his tackle count is usually one of the highest and metres per carry is very good. Has he hit the heights we maybe thought he would? Probably not, but that doesn't mean he isn't a very good player and deserving of his place in the team.

I don't think that's true of Stander but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention at the time. I think it's important not to conflate Stander when Heaslip was available and Stander post Heaslip. Heaslip seems to oddly unhinge a certain quarter of rugby supporters and when he and Stander were 1 and 2 there was a lot of hysteria about it on discussion forums, in particular from people who refused to recognise Heaslip's quality.

I would say that POM's and Stander's form at club level were what drove the conversation in relation to the two players, with Stander consistently one of Munster's top performers and POM guilty of occasionally going missing. I think that's why his place in the starting Ireland 15 was occasionally questioned.

As for Ryan, he has always been picked when fit for Ireland. That doesn't mean it is a situation that can't change - but on current form I personally would be surprised if it does. He also always shows up for Leinster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I'd like to see what kind of game plan we could build around three big units at 4, 5, and 6.

McCarthy, Kleyn and Beirne for example.

Possibly even Coombes at 8 to add extra bulk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“The selection thing is just a way to frame the argument. I'm firmly of the belief that James Ryan is just a better player than either Henderson or Beirne.”

I do get that. But when you say things like the following:

People really need to get over themselves on this.

it comes across as more than a little condescending.

To be fair to Ryan, he’s been a lot better this season than last imo (granted injuries etc).

I think there’s a case for Ryan and Henderson in the row with Beirne at 6 and Doris at 8 at some stage on the tour.

And I’d love to see Coombes get a start but he’s tight for time back from injury.

No, people really do need to get over themselves on this. There's only so much debate you can have before you conclude that some just aren't willing to accept the fact that Ryan is our first choice lock, merited by performance.

To get away from this interminable argument. The 8 forwards selected against France for the Six Nations is our best pack available. There's a very good mix of dynamism and solidity to it.

We know that France threw themselves at the breakdown and stopped us from sourcing quick ruck ball. But our forwards fought their way back into the game and weren't far off winning the match in the end.

That's a pack that can absolutely take the game to New Zealand.

1 Andrew Porter

2 Ronan Kelleher

3 Tadhg Furlong

4 Tadhg Beirne

5 James Ryan (Captain)

6 Caelan Doris

7 Josh van der Flier

8 Jack Conan

Post edited by Clegg on

But declaring yourself right isn’t debate.

And telling people they “need to get over themselves”… I just think it lacks a small bit of humility.

In any case, I’m just going to leave it there. I see both the pro-Ryan and the pro-Beirne arguments. And I think the likelihood is Ryan will start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

When was the last time all three were fully fit that you can say it with absolute certainty? Who was dropped at that point?

That's just a straw man argument now. Detracting from the actual argument because you haven't a good point to make.

And there's clearly some agendas being peddled in light of recent results. Whole thing has been a **** show from the beginning.

Just to be clear, you’re accusing me of having an agenda?

No. Some other posters certainly have however. But you're strawmanning now.

The whole thing has been an exercise in futility. Venjur was right. Better not to respond to bad faith arguments.

I see both the pro-Ryan and the pro-Beirne arguments.

I don't see it as one or the other. If we're selecting on form, it's Beirne+Ryan. I don't think that's controversial. I like Beirne at 6, I think it's his best position. But that means dropping a very good back rower and starting an out of form Henderson instead.

If we're talking about Leinster forwards whose place should be under threat, we should be talking about Jack Conan.

I’m really not strawmanning

And that Beirne should start ahead of Ryan isn’t a bad faith argument; there are reasons for and against both.

Beirne offers a world class turnover threat; that could be really important to offer us attacking platform, especially on transition against unstructured defence.

He’s also really improved his heavy carrying, and I’d suggest he’s got better footwork and hands. The lack of bulk in comparison could be less important against NZ

Ryan offers a world class line out threat. I’m not going to pretend I know enough about scrum time but I think accepted wisdom is he’s stronger there. He’s also got a serious work rate.

I’d see it almost exactly the same way tbh. Injuries will probably dictate a lot on any case. Not to open the POM-shaped can of worms but his form has been outstanding too.

I'm really not all that caught up in who starts or benches. From my perspective it's important that we have 4 - 5 top class locks and we're starting to approach that. We've some serious underage talent coming through who could be in the frame by next Summer also.

Having a pissing contest over Beirne or Ryan is irrelevant and in most cases people will pick the player based on jersey colour and then find a reason to justify it. Both are top class players and I'm glad we have both.

ᵇᵘᵗ ʳʸᵃⁿ ⁱˢ ᵇᵉᵗᵗᵉʳ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Healy is knackered, Denis Buckley as a surprise

Prendergast has to play

Marmion or Blade back in the mix

Dreams, sweet dreams

Talking about POM shouldn't be a case of opening a can of worms. He's in great form, he brings something different to the other options and he should be in the conversation.

Only problem I'd see, is if you have Beirne and Ryan at lock, and then POM and VDF on the flanks, that is a fairly small international pack. You'd be relying on whoever your 8 is to do all of the heavy carrying, which is a big ask. And if Henderson starts at lock, Beirne has to start IMO, so he plays 6.

POM would do a great job at 7 in the current Irish team, the only issue is VDF is the one back rower who is undroppable right now. Timoney is also excellent. But it's a good headache to have.

I'd like to see Coombes or Prendergast come in for Conan this summer, because he hasn't been at his best the last few months (possibly a Lions hangover).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

Let’s watch the remaining urc games which should be full on to see where the form is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

No, i think I understand the logic here, Jack Houdini Conan went on the Lions tour, so he has to play for Ireland.

J Ryan didn't go on the Lions tour, so he has to play for Ireland.

right? Or am I playing this game wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I suppose that's Earls on the boat to New Zealand, with his central contract announcement. I don't think I'd take him. There's probably room for 6 or 7 back three players; I'd be thinking Lowe, Hansen, Baloucoune, Conway, Keenan, JOB and Lowry. If Conway doesn't make it with this leg injury of his I think there'd be more upside to including Jamie Osborne as a utility back than squeezing Earls in.

Yeah I agree. I'd add McIlroy to that list too. I love Earls, but he'll be 36 at the World Cup and we have lots of quality younger wingers, it would be crazy if he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

osborne has played very well when picked but he surely has to be way down the pecking order at the moment? even just looking at leinster, larmour would have to be ahead of him due to having built up credit in the past

id like to see haley go ahead of JOB/Lowry if it were limited to the numbers you suggest, not that either of those players have done anything particularly wrong but i think haley has been fantastic for the last few seasons and deserves a chance. i can see JOB losing out to larmour in most games for leinster next year too so i dunno is there much point in trying him out

'Houdini'. Conan is playing fine. Not up to the high bar he set last season, but he's still contributing.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Isn’t that exactly what we want, genuine competition in all positions?

it may put some provincial fans nose out of joint, come selection time. It’s good for Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

If Conway is injured, Earls could be needed as an experienced old head in the back three. Don’t think any of the other options have done a three test series? (Covid has stopped these for Keenan? ) I don’t know how to feel about earls, I want him to get to 100 caps more than most players but I don’t think he’d be right for the RWC squad so it’d be a wasted opportunity to cap the younger lads

Absolutely no disagreement there. Some positions like wing and back-row we’ve particularly good depth in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

This is either a wind up or complete nonsense or more likely both.

One province is already out of the URC and after Friday night they'll be a 2nd one gone, I suspect you knew this which leads me to believe you're on a wind up.

Advertisement