Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Discipline is part of the game though. Smith shouldn't put himself in that position. In too many games over the years poor discipline has cost us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

The more I think about it, Fermanagh is the ideal pick for us. Without sounding cocky, we should beat any team in this competition and the only one that would have worried me is Tipp, as they are a bit of a bogey team for us (and could've / should've beaten us in the league final). Like the article in the Celt before the Down game said "If Cavan perform, they win this game". That should be the case for all the other teams as well. The only thing that would worry me would be complacency. I don't think we will get that for this competition, but it would be easier to have the guard down for say, Leitrim at home and then find out (like the Wicklow game) that just turning up is never enough even against so-called "weaker teams".

A local derby, against an Ulster team that will be all guns blazing for us is ideal. We have a score to settle from last year and will want to prove a point. I know we only lost by a point and missed two frees towards the end that could have levelled it up, but Fermanagh were the better team than us that night. Yes, they were clearly physically in better shape than us but we can put that game to bed on Saturday and I am confident that if we show up from the start, we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Fully agree with this, last year they were ahead of us in their preparation for the league I think they had 3 challenge games played while we had none plus we had James smith sent off early in the second half and he was playing well, Donnelly went down clutching his face to get him sent off, and we could still have got something from the game, only 1 point in it, if we go in with the right attitude we will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

It was the exact same before the Down and Antrim games.

When Cavan are consistently beating teams they should be, then I’ll be confident again before games. You may look down on Fermanagh but the fact is that the last time both teams played, they won.

This year we lost in the league to a Tipp team who were knocked out by Carlow last weekend.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Advertisement

Fermanagh are a decent enough team at this level of a competition but we should not be fearing them in anyway go out and beat them and get this thing won.

You're not being consistent Cavan_king. As you rightly pointed out yesterday or the day before, in championship, this team has only lost to Donegal, Tyrone and Dublin in the last four years. I think we've all established that our league form is a different matter. Assuming that we treat this as a championship fixture (and all the noises coming from the camp and most of Saturday's performance suggests that), we should have a bit more confidence in Cavan overcoming Fermanagh.

Cavan aren't being consistent, that's the issue. A relegation game last year against Wicklow weeks before championship should have been as close to a championship game as we could get. Losing it was unforgivable. We all know we have better players than the likes of Fermanagh but those players need to perform on a consistent basis.

Tickets upped in price.

“Please note the admission prices for the Fermanagh v Cavan game on Sunday.

Adults €20

Oap/ Student €15

Under 16 €5

Please note that the U/16 now are €5 which is different to last week”.

Wrong to charge in for kids unless it’s Croke Park if you ask me.

Apparently these are the prices for the quarter finals is the reason given.

Taking the piss now with charging kids in.

• Advertisement

And it's now more expensive for a quarter final of a trail run second tier competition than an Ulster semi-final? Look, I want to be enthusiastic about the Tailteann Cup, but costing it more than a trip to Clones to see Donegal isn't on.

It's looking like a money grab from here on in. I don't mind the €20 for myself even though i think they could have left it at €15 its the charging for kids that isn't right.

100% agree. I might put up with paying a bit more for a game in Croker, but kids should be going free to these games.

I know a number of people at the weekend, myself included, who are coaches at clubs and could stick 2 or 3 friends of kids into the car and bring them along to the game. They should be getting to watch games like this and it is wrong to start charging them.

What does Brewster hold? Are they worried about the game selling out so they don't want to give up free positions to kids?

Whatever about the Cavan Down game, the Fermanagh Longford game didn't look to have much of a crowd at it on The Sunday Game.

It's the same price for all the games it's nothing to do with games selling out its trying to get maximum money out of the games.

FYI according to Wiki Brewster can hold 18k

There was just under 3,700 in Breffni on Saturday. I know Saturday at 2pm is an awkward time and Down didn't bring a big number. We should be bring a decent crowd but it is a bank holiday weekend and people might have plans. Forecast looks decent, the last time we went there with decent weather (heatwave in fact) was two weekends in a row in 2018. Neither were near a sell out either.

3,700 is only a count of the paying punters. Kids, or if other groups like OAPs were free, are not included in those numbers.

I am well aware of that. My point was (having being there) it was a nice crowd, but not massive (due to the factors listed above). Should be a bigger crowd on Sunday (local derby, fair weather fan syndrome) but no way near a sell out- hence no excuse for not letting kids in for free.

OAPs weren't free last week, or else the ones I knew at it just wanted to buy a ticket for the craic.

What do you guys think will Graham go for the same starting team as last week or will Moynagh come back in if fit?

If fit, he starts (for me). We all know how good the Holla is but given his lengthy lay-off, he's going to be off the pace for a while. I would want us to start our strongest 15 and like last weekend, if we're cruising, bring lads on. Thought Oisin Kiernan looked back to his best on Saturday, he could have a big game for us- great kick passer and also well capable of a long range point. I think Fermanagh will be defensively tighter than Down so long range scores are going to be very important.

• Advertisement

Fermanagh will likely not contest our kick-outs so we will have to work the ball into the scoring zone. Hopefully we can get off to a good start and make them come out and play and get a good game out of it.

Conor was doing water man on the terrace side last Saturday and he looked to have a bandage on an ankle, hopefully he is back fit.

Latest We Are Cavan mentions Conor Smith had stepped away from panel? It was just casually thrown in there in a passing comment to Cian McManus. Anyone aware of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Given his injuries he’s probably better to concentrate on the club for now and try to sort himself out, the intensity of county training and games seems to be something he’s finding difficult to maintain. Hope he returns at some point as I think he has great potential

Same named starting team as last week has been announced.

I see Gary orourke is back as sub keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Job done... Next please

9 point win but not as impressive as the last day I thought. Ray kicked 3 frees wides in a row and we were flat towards the end of the first half after an impressive start.

Still, a win of that margin is not to be sniffed at. Cormac O’Reilly did well when he came on. The two black cards were disappointing though. Was Gunner’s for foul language to the ref? Somebody behind me in the stand thought it was. I was at the opposite end of the stand as I got there at 3.30 but stand had a fair crowd in it by then even.

Someone should tell Fermanagh to stop annoying Gearoid!

Not too often Fermanagh are beat by 9 at home. Thomas Galligan was immense today from the very first throw in. There were spells in the first half where we went off the boil but we played some lovely stuff in spells.

For this first start, Carolan looked very comfortable and completely at ease at this level. Gearoid as always against Fermanagh was superb.

Fermanagh got a soft free (from memory I think their full forward handled the ball on the ground; but the ref adjudged a Cavan player to have done so) and the Gunner let him know what he thought about the decision. Given that we were a man down for 20 mins, we managed that very well and from memory stretched our lead by a point during each black card.

• Advertisement

Most people online seem to think we’ll get Westmeath in the “open” draw, probably as we share a border with them.

The only reason I could see the Leinster counties possibly drawing each other is to get one to Croke Park as a good news story for the Leinster championship that is currently receiving huge criticism.

We’ll know in a few minutes!

Advertisement