Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what Sam does next? Dauphine is very mountainy with only one sprint stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Norway maybe. That normally has mainly flat stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

His interview after Frankfurt said he’s now focussing on his main goals for the year which are in June and July

It felt weird to me that he didn’t specifically mention the Tour. I’m fully aware I could be way off here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

With the current form Vlasov has it will be a tough choice for Bora to go for green or yellow this year.

Maybe split the team half and half so Sam still has 3 for a lead out could work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Procyclingstats has the following Bora riders on their startliat for the Tour: Sam, Danny van P, Vlasov, Schachmann, Politt, Konrad, and Grossshartner.

Obviously just because Procyclingstats have listed Sam it doesn't mean that he will ride the Tour, but it's more reassuring that his name is there, compared to of it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You would have to think it was part of the deal he signed. Would be very surprised if he doesn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not sure Vlasov would even be outright GC leader, although Schachmann has had a similar start to the year as Sam in terms of results/ performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Vlasov has been very impressive so far this year, he could always climb but now he's vastly improved his TT, and there's 53km in the tour this year.

I'd imagine Sam might get 2 lads to help him out, but the rest will be for Vlasov and/or Schachmann

Not ideal for someone who plans on going after the green jersey. You need a strong team to chase down breaks and keep you in the hunt for bonus points.

Sam posted on Instagram that he’s off to the Rund um Koln in a couple of weeks and that it’s an important prep race for the Tour

He’s won it twice before fwiw (2014,2018)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Bennett on the startlist for the Rund um Köln tomorrow . Decent Bora line-up too

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/rund-um-koln/2022/startlist

No Eurosport/GCN coverage listed for that one that I can see. Busy weekend for racing from the looks of things. Theres a few races on that I don't recall clashing with the Giro in the past.

The Frankfurt race a few weeks ago was streamed on YouTube by a German channel (with proper presentation etc). Might be the case tomorrow too

There's ways and means to see nearly all races now, i wouldnt get in a TIZzy about it...

How they haven't been taken down after all these years is beyond me 😁

Coverage of todays race here , should be safe enough to catch the finale around 14:15 - 14:30 I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

You’ve got to wonder if Bora will put as much effort into supporting Sam at the Tour given his form. I could see DVP being the protected sprinter if things keep going the way they are. Hopefully not.

He won the last sprint he contested right? (Didn't see what happened yesterday) so at least the form is probably going in the right direction.

Sam and the rest of the team were very much up there yesterday with the reduced chasing group in the last 40km I saw, not sure how and when Politt and DvP got away but the fact Politt had number 1 on his back at a German race would suggest this was the plan and then Sam for a sprint if it came to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Home town IIRC, most definetly the plan if things worked out that way, which events worked out in Boras favour to facilitate. I imagine when he went the rest were told to drop anchor and sit in.

• Advertisement

DVP was talking last week about wanting to become the best sprint lead out man in the peloton. Think he knows he can’t win as a sprinter

Bora had 4 in the top 10 yesterday including Mullen in 10th fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

I thought DVP had beaten Sam in the sprint yesterday but looks like he was further up the road. Cycling Fever had them all on the same time yesterday, so not as bad as I thought. Sam was behind DG though. Will be interesting to see the full list of sprinters in the finalised Tour lineup.

To be fair, his team had just won the race... Probably hard to muster the same level of urgency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

It was Politts home race, Bora had 6 in a Group of 20 Odd that clipped away, when it got towards the final they played the numbers game. Launched a few attacks, put two men into a 3 man break and got a 1-2. Sam sat with Groenewegen and Philipsen. Both BEx and Alpecin had less numbers than Bora there so it was up to them to control. If that was Quickstep that rode like that people would be raving about the power of the "Wolfpack"..

Looks like he's got a lot of racing coming up over the next few weeks. Should give us a clearer picture of where he's at.

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/coach-says-sam-bennett-on-track-for-tour-de-france-revival/

Not doing the national champs it seems.

Wonder if they'll let Mullen defend his title.

Factor in Dunbar and Healy looking well too and it could be a hell of a fight for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Raymzor

Nationals hosted by Eddie’s old club so I think he will be keen to participate and win!!

• Advertisement

Looking at the parcours for the tour, dont think Sam or any pure sprinter has a hope of the green jersey, the only sprint stages are 2,3,4,19 and 21. 14 medium/high mountain, or cobbles/punchy finish stages in a row!

WVA must be a shoo-in for it

Advertisement