Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Combi boiler experience in Dublin?

• 26-05-2022 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I want to change my "traditional" boiler to a combi, and I want to get people's opinion if they have a combi.

I am mainly worried about water pressure. I got 3 different quotes, and all 3 gave a different set up.

The first is to use the current cold water storage tank to feed a pump. The 2nd option is to use the mains to pressurise the system, and the 3rd is to fit a booster pump to the mains.

I'm looking for advice on the pros & cons of each setup, or any recommendations. Does anyone have experience of a mains pressure pump like a Salamander Home boost?

Currently I am getting about 7.5 l/min at the kitchen sink.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

When i was getting the bathroom done up i wanted a rain shower and was told i needed a pump to get the needed pressure out of the rain head. Any hot tap in use the pump kicks in to boost the pressure. Having the pump running the sink in the kitchen was splashing water everywhere but i had stop cocks fitted on the lines and closed slightly reduced pressure enough for no splashing.

That was the only reason i needed a pump was the very large shower head to get the flow out my immersion with very large tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Option one is best practice. It will also give you the best results

Option 2 is against building regulations, Irish water regulations and Bylaws in every country in Ireland. You would be relying on local water pressure. This fluctuates throughout the day and night.

Operation 3 (homeboost) isn't intended to supply combi boilers. Homeboost isn't like a regular pump. It doesn't massively improve the pressure. It's intended to improve mains fed electric showers and for homes where pressure is so low that the cold water tank only fills at night or fills too slow. Its not designed, nor is it capable, of running hot and cold water throughout the house.

A good plumber will insist on option 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ripkis

I think that previously it wasn't allowed to connect the mains directly to the boiler but this has changed since the creation of Irish Water.

But thanks, I was leaning towards option 1 before I posted here and you have confirmed it for me.

Definitely not. Rules haven't changed. As I stated its against the building regulations, Irish water regulations and Bylaws in every country in Ireland. Building regulations say break water tank (this can be your attic tank) has to be used. Water is then Pumped to the boiler.

Apart from the regulations a combi on the mains just doesn't work well in most homes in Ireland. Some plumbers take cold water from the attic tank and hot from the mains using a combi. Thermostatic showers need equal pressure from hot & cold or you can't control the temperature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I have a combi boiler and it was the best upgrade I have done to the house. I use option 1, tank in the attic to a pump then to boiler. Get the biggest boiler you can, i went with the 35kw boiler just to get the best hot water flow rate, the rainfall shower is incredibl. I also moved the boiler to the attic and now the hot press is converted to a linen closet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Can combis be fitter in houses? I had heard that they were only suitable for apartments?

Small combi for apartment and large combi for house. Having said that most apartments don't have gas.

All 3 plumbers who quoted said that a 25kw boiler was sufficient. The house is 3 bed with a main bathroom (bath) and ensuite (shower), never used at the same time.

Do you think that 25kw is big enough? Apparently is the smallest model. l

It will probably be a Gow-worm boiler too is you have any input on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭standardg60

That's interesting, i have a mains fed combi boiler in my house since it was built, i don't have a storage tank at all.

Can you explain why it's against regulations and the possible disadvantages, apart from being in the shower when someone else lashes on a cold tap elsewhere and you get scalded, or is that the reason?

• Advertisement

There are older threads on this very subject. You will find direct quotes from the current building regulations and older bylaws.

Building regulations are a fairly recent thing in Ireland but we have had building bylaws going back 50 years or more. Building bylaws in Dublin were that every house should have a cold water tank capable of storing 24 hours worth of water. The mains water was solely for drinking water at the kitchen tap and filling the cold water tank in the attic. No combi boilers, electric showers washing machine etc are allowed from the mains supply.

No one is going to jail for breaking these regulations but they are there for a reason. In the UK where combi boilers are a big thing many homes do not have a water tank. Hot or cold. On a Triton training course many years ago I was talking to the instructor about the Triton T90. It's the biggest selling pumped electric shower. It's such a big seller that many people call their electric shower "a Triton" or "a T90" even if they actually have a mira, in the same way that people take out "the hoover" even though it's not a hoover brand. It's a vacuum cleaner and not a hoover. Anyway the reason I mention it now was because no one else on the course had heard of a T90 shower. They all installed mains fed showers and had never heard of a tank fed /gravity electric shower. Their mains pressure is so strong that most homes have to install a pressure reduction valve. Some parts of the UK have more than 10 bar of pressure. In Dublin we are lucky to get one bar of pressure. It's for this reason that our bylaws & building regulations say what they say. In Dublin if you use a mains fed shower you will get scalded if someone uses the cold water at the kitchen tap. In the UK you can run every tap in the house & it still won't effect the temperature of the water in the mains fed shower.

Apart from the regulations it is very bad practice to connect a combi to the mains in Ireland. The reason is that the performance will not be 100%. Even if the combi works perfectly at first Irish water could reduce the water pressure a few percent & the combi won't function properly. You have no comeback with Irish water because the combi is installed against the regulations.

I have a bee in my bonnet about combi boilers installed connected with the mains because I get calls from people thinking that their shower is broken when it's the fact that the combi is on the mains. I had a lady call me. She owns a lives in an apartment. She paid someone to install a combi. He contacted it to the mains. So the hot is 1 bar of pressure and the cold is only a quarter bar of pressure. She could not adjust the temperature at the shower. If she turns the dial a fraction the water will be scalding. Plumber blamed Irish water & and told her she had to adjust the temperature at the combi. So she is supposed to get out of the shower walk into a different room to adjust the temperature and then back into the shower.

Combi boiler should be fed from a tank and pumped. Personally I would be looking at moving towards a heat pump. The average lifespan of combi is 10 years. Eventually you won't be able to buy gas or oil boilers. From, I think, next year it will be illegal to install a gas or oil boiler in a new build. When you eventually go for a heat pump you will need to install the hot water cylinder again

That's a great reply thank you.

I see the issue now with retrofitting a combi as the cold supply will still be only gravity fed to the bathrooms, thankfully i don't have that issue as my cold is mains fed to all taps and i have great pressure.

Will the OP not have the same issue with temperature control though, and as you've said have to set the hot water temperature at the boiler rather than the shower? I do this btw and it's fine, no need to add cold water at all which is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭John.G

You can install a Triton Noval SR shower imwhich will supply up to 14LPM, it has its own integral pump and requires hor and cold feed via your cold water storage tank and HW cylinder (existing).

A 25kw co.bi will give 10.5LPM at 40C from cold water at 6C, winter & 14.3LPM in summer from cold water if at 15C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

Thats also Against regs assuming you are in Ireland Mains should only feed Cold tap for drinking and attic tank all other connections should be via a break tank which can be your attic tank or a seperate break tank

Yes but it was the most sensible option as we went with combi from the beginning.

Not having an attic tank for storage might have been an issue in the past if the water went off but hardly applies these days.

How do the regs apply to outside taps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

Well I didnt write the regs but they are there for good reason

• "Where electric showers and dishwasher, washing machine, heating systems, etc. are provided in buildings, they shall not be connected directly to Irish Water’s water supply system. They must be fed from the storage tank located within the building. Direct feeds from Irish Water’s water supply system shall only be to a potable water supply tap and the water storage tank.

Not being smart here i know the regs, just struggle with the good reason bit, surely they are archaic in today's world, with utility rooms and second sinks and outside taps.

In my mother's 70s built house there wasn't any feed for a washing machine/dishwasher from the attic tank, so when installed the feed was branched off the mains at the sink rather than piping all the way up to the attic. Surely this is the norm with older houses?

Is your own washing machine/dishwasher fed from the tank?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

One of the main reasons for those regs is to prevent foul water being fed into the potable system. Eg, if there was a drop in pressure in the mains, there's every possibility of water from a higher elevation being back fed into lower areas. This could be poorly installed heating water etc. One way valves are not 100% reliable.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement