Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nostalgia is not just a Disney phenomenon, it's all the way through the entertainment industry. In this case it looks like a gentle stroll through what Ben did next. In that kind of approach there will be lots of nods to please the fans. I've enjoyed the first two in that it's familiar enough territory and it's not irritating. That's about as good as it gets for some series and this is just another series. If there is one thing I am grateful to Netflix for is that it's now perfectly fine to simply drop stuff you don't like, rather than just grimly hang on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@johnny_ultimate I think the main problem with the Star Wars TV stuff so far is that they seem happy for it to be 'good enough'

Well, after the complete farce that was the sequel trilogy, "good enough' is...well...good enough. 😁

@johnny_ultimate The biggest problem with Obi-Wan so far though is that the action is dire. Some of the worst directed action scenes I've seen. The rooftop chase kind of just stops once Leia falls off the roof, and the parkour is deeply silly. But there are two other scenes - the opening one with Benny Safdie and then Flea & co chasing Leia in the woods - where powerful characters are just stopped dead by the most arbitrary of obstacles. They really feel tossed together to a quite bizarre degree.

There's certain a feeling of a single take going on in some of the action scenes alright. As if Chow did an Ed Wood and thought the first go was grand despite some obvious problems.

And that unnecessarily energy expending parkour thing. Who the hell though that that was a good idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

A good episode elevated by an iconic villain, and they finally nailed his voice.

• Episode 3 was definitely an improvement. The moment when Obi-Wan senses Vader gave me chills.

I have a feeling the next two episodes are going to be similar to the first two, with Obi-Wan trying to find Leia whilst overcoming obstacles.

Then the final episode will have a big showdown with Kenobi and Darth Vader, which Kenobi will win and then escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I get where you are coming from regarding "Being a kids show" and I'm kinf of with you/not with you on this. Bit on the fence :)

It's not so much that the originals were "For kids". It's more that, when (Most of us) saw them first, we were kids. So these are entwined with our youth. I remember knowing, at the time that Jedi came out that Lucas was going to start making 1-3 soon (lol) and that it would end in Obi-wan and Anakin fighting and Anakin falling into a volcano (Not too far from how it ended up).

So we all remember Empire (Justifiably) being the best, Jedi being the weakest and Star Wars (No "A new Hope back in MY day) being awesome too. But looking back, my God, there is some creaky dialogue in Star Wars. But, as a kid, you don't care.

So, it's not that "It's for kids". It's more like "Well, we want this to be accessible for all so we'll dumb it down a bit and won't take any risks in case we lose our audience.". It's not something I agree with. Look at the complex and interesting storylines of Avater the Last Airbender animated series (NOT the movie). Or the three-dimentional characters in it (Ironically, MUCH more three-dimensional than the "movie"). And that was a MASSIVE hit across all ages. Kids are not idiots.

The first time they tried to do something different (As above, making Rey a nobody) there was FURY!!!! And they caved.

I loved Rogue 1. IT took risks by having almost an entirely new cast. The throwbacks to Star Wars were logical (even if the implementation was a bit iffy at times). That beach battle scene was excellent. A war movie battle scene that just so happened to have AT-ATs. Which is one of the reasons why I really like the look of Andor..

So, tldr (BAU for me): While I agree it's not "Just for kids", I do believe that we all grew up with Star Wars. Too many people are too precious about it which leads to an unwillingness to take risks and a pandering. And that can lead to uninspired storytelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭conorhal

Much of the 'outcry' seems manufactured though. I don't remember any pre-emptive 'don't be racist!' statements before Giancarlo Esposito was unveiled as the new bad guy on the Mandalorian.... it's almost like they knew Esposito would be great (when isn't he?) but corporate took one look at the garbage they'd greenlight with Kenobi and immediately played the race card to use Ingram as human shield against criticism... very, VERY justified criticism. I haven’t laughed so had at a character impotently waving their fist in the air shouting ‘NOOooooooooo’/ I’ll get you Kenobi and your little princess too!’, since the end of Revenge of the Sith.

You never see this kind of wild defaming of the fanbase happen when corporate are quietly confident they have knocked one out of the park, only when are defending something crap and they know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I dont think its fair to label them fans, they are just creeps on the internet looking for wokeness to criticise. The writing and acting of both the main inquisitors is bad but at least the creeps are not going after the yoing leia actress like they did after the yoing anakin actor years ago. Just shows social media has been like this for years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be exact, it was the actor who flagged the racism, which was directed at her via her own personal social media accounts. No more than with Kelly Marie Tran who experienced the same harassment on her personal accounts. Disney weighed in cos ...Well yeah why wouldn't they? I'm a total Eat the Rich guy but it'd tell a worse story has Disney said nothing in defence of one its stars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s no criticism that justifies snivelling little weirdos sending racist abuse to an actress on the internet. And of course it’s almost always an actress on the receiving end.

’Fans’ are free and perfectly entitled to like or dislike the show and the characters as much as they want. But they’re going to get called out if they decide to be bigoted, abusive shitheads in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Probably not Obi Wan related but do you think we could see Emilia Clarke turn up as Qi'ra at some point in one of these series? Maybe she'll show up in Andor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw the first two episodes and I thought they were poor. As others have said the main villain is terrible, she's just not scary or intimidating. I think the main problem I think is the absence of Jon Favreau and dave F.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thought that was a great episode. Ewan McGregor continues to nail it imo.

The showdown between Kenobi and Vader was great. I think it worked in terms of story that Obi-Wan has pretty much cut himself off from the Force for so long that he really struggled against Vader. Vader dragging him through the fire was brutal too.

My main complaint at this stage is the constant jostling between the Inquisators to be Vader's favourite puppy. But I don't put that on any of the actors involved, the writing of it is just weak and repetitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I hooe so i thought she was one of few interesting characters in that movie. I guess it depends on whether they plan on making a sequel to it.

Yeah, have only seen her in an episode of Forces of Destiny since then. I'd say we could see more especially as they would probably like to get Emilia Clarke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Inquisition finds out about Maul and goes after him during rebels, he's also obsessed with Obi wan too.

Sung Kang annoys me more than Moses Ingram, tbh. That voice is absurdly bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So I assume Obi Wan gets his mojo back and defeats Vader somehow. Otherwise the "When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master" from New Hope doesnt make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

It caught me by surprise, but I really enjoyed Rebels..

Where does Obiwan kill Maul? Tattoine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yeah it's on Tatooine

Personally, I wouldn't advise thinking of Reva is the main villain. Vader is the main villain. Reva wants to be the main villain, as do the other Inquisitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The editing and direction of this show is terrible. It's gotten to the point where it genuinely makes the show confusing to follow.

I was really taken out of it when in the middle of an intense action scene with Obi Wan, they cut away to Leia, and when they cut back Obi Wan had gotten away and was being treated for his wounds. A strip of fire separated him and the antagonists. There's no way they either couldn't have ran through or around it. And there's certainly no way he could have chance to run away far enough to rest for a moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Didn't the droid pull him out /rescue him?

Makes no sense though that Vader wouldn't have just frozen him to the spot with the force, or swept between the flames or something though!

It is a definite weakness that we know both survive and don't see each other again until ANH. No real tension or threat. The curse of prequels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Yeo, the droid rescued him. But they'd also established that the robot was pretty slow too. So how did he get him away so fast?

Vadar presumably just looking in passively makes zero sense as well. I really want to like this show, but everything from writing to direction and editing has just been so poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Someone I'd like to see even if it's just for a cameo would be Sarah Michelle Gellar reprising her seventh sister part.

The latter part of the Obi wan vs Vader fight with the cuts and fire were stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm so confused: that fan game that become official, the one that was basically universally acclaimed? (The name escapes me) Why can't they just keep making those, or similar genetics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

So Lord Vader threw in the towel and went home cos of a patch of fire. The little bit of fire he created. What!!?

This encounter breaks cannon anyway so what does it matter.

Lucas cannon >Head cannon>>Disney cannon

So I'm assuming that tunnel had multiple entrances which is how Tala got to Obi Wan without going back and passing Reva, though she somehow got ahead of Leia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It was a decent episode with some big holes and obviously focussed on the fan service Obi/Anakin reunion. Reva continues to be the extremely weak point of it though (and not at all to do with her race or whatever - Just an awful badly written "angry with inferiority complex" character)

Looks like Reva figured out where the tunnel ended up and went back out of the building and straight to the spaceport, killed the person waiting and intercepted Leia. Tala wouldn't have bumped into her on her way back through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Personally loved that episode and think you should all just chill out and enjoy it rather than picking little holes in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think Reva will turn out to be an interesting character. There's more to her backstory. I think we all reckon she was one of the child padawans from the first scene of episode 1, but how she got to become an inquisitor is still to be established. Her reaction when she found the Jedi carvings in that secret room suggests there is more to her than we know yet.

Advertisement