Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Newcastle are actively avoiding Man utd style purchases of older over paid types.

howe has already warned supporters not to expect 10 new signings. I would expect them to have a good crack at getting Nunez quicker that Salah.

Mane to Munich makes sense for him, he speaks a little German and used to play close by early in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Signing a 31 year old player and paying them £400k+ a week even after getting them on a free doesn't seem like a City thing to do either it would go against everything they have done in the last 10 years.

That sounds more like a Man U thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Amazed at people jumping to Newcastle conclusions and people criticising Salah.

It's the post-season blues - there's 5 weeks to look forward to before pre-season begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There's nothing really new in that Salah piece. It's just filling time & space really. I'm not going to get worked up over it.

The last actual update we got is that Salah said is he is staying at Liverpool for next season, thus fulfilling his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd rather keep Sadio for another year and let him go on a free than take 30m euros tbh.

If he'd agree obv, no desire to stand in his way either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Stray from the tourist spots and its a kip of place and dangerous. Absolutely hate the place and I've been a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

They did sign Chris Wood though. I would hold off on thinking we know what Newcastle will be doing until they actually start spending.

Community Shield won't be in Wembley as the Women's Euro Final will be there that weekend.

This year’s match is set to be played at Leicester City’s King Power Stadium on Saturday July 30, with kick-off at 5pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Signing Chris Wood was strategic - Burnley were a rival in the battle to escape the bottom three and by signing him Newcastle deprived Burnley of the focal point of their attack. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the player go back to Burnley on loan next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I may just be getting older, but on no level does Salah leaving bother me. If he does go, fair play to him he doesn't owe us anything.

After nando left, I realised it doesn't really matter at all, we will get someone else in, life will go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

True but it's clearly trying to increase the pressure on the club by hinting he's prepared to move to another English club as a free agent. When everyone assumed it would be abroad. Of course this is all agent manoeuvring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Same.

No doubt there'll be some fella along here soon mentioning the trauma of Kevin Keegan leaving.

For me, it was the time Aldridge left...the sight of him throwing all his gear into the Kop at the end of his final game will stick with me.

Torres leaving was a deep cut alright, especially the way it happened and the club he went to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Yep, all his agents doing but Mo isn't stopping him from mouthing off either. If Mo piped up to him once about the bullsh!t then he'd cut it out. The laughing at Klopps comments a while back was pretty bad taste and he's still at it now so I'd assume Mo is ok with the sh!t-housery.

The more I read and hear the more I'd like to see the back of him and his agent and then ask Sadio what he wants to keep him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Feel the same, it's a job for them that's all at the end of the day. Owes the club nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

The fella scored 150 goals for ye in 5 seasons, and suddenly he's an ungrateful Judas because he wants a reasonable salary.

As a United fan, its good to know our thread isn't the only one with fans who turn on players on a dime.

Klopp is the only one I will be downbeat when they leave the club. Any player can go, I really don't care. I have favorite players but like its a job at the end of the day for them.

If that is true that Salah was only offered an extra 15% that's really poor from the club for a players of his quality. The fact he's willing to sign a short term deal too is head scratching why the club haven't sorted him. Wage structure is important but losing Mane and Salah in the space of 12 months will be a massive blow to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

A handful of posters tbf, oh and by the way all Irish Premier League fans are broadly the same pal with a mix of mostly sound level headed people but with a sizable minority of wet brains

Ah I know, just would have expected more of the ire to be aimed at the club rather than the player.

Will be interesting to see how long the current pay structure holds up with more nd more successful players coming up for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

If you actually read this forum rather than just trying to get a dig in “as a united fan” you realise how cringeworthy your comment is exaggerating the fan sentiment to the point he’s being called a Judas. Both mane & salah are adored here after a season no team previously in premier league history has achieved in the past.

Liverpool & united has nothing in common these days both the content of threads are very different though united will be a lot busier on a Thursday night .

• Advertisement

Liverpool have good owners who act prudently in the club’s best interest, hence why they don’t tend to overpay for/to players.

I can see why as a Utd fan your first reaction might be to place blame on owners. What a team other clubs would have if they spent/paid what United have.

Anfield Edition

@AnfieldEdition

Liverpool are hoping Naby Keita signs a contract extension. [@JamesPearceLFC]

Well finally good news after losing CL final , premier league on last day, Mane to Munich and Salah leaving for City/Newcastle next summer :)

How is it exaggerating, there's literally a post from earlier today calling him Judas.

Also reports of interest from PSG, but they say PSG willing to pay 50m. The figure alone gives away the story as BS, but if they do make a descent offer, I’d like Liverpool to take it and reinvest. Keita just hadn’t reached expectations, is ineffective in big games and is injured to often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

So they signed a player from a rival team to bolster themselves and hurt that team. You said they would not be spending like Man U on big name players but we don't know that. If they can sign Salah from us they would be hurting us and have a quality player. The same as they did with Wood as we are most likely going to be competing with them for a CL spot.

Hence my statement, we will only be able to judge Newcastle after a few transfer windows to see what they will do.

He also said it is not about money when it seems to be about money. Just as players show little loyalty to clubs, fans are starting to show players the same. Why should it be a one way street when it comes to showing love and loyalty to the club. I bet you in 10 years time most players will most likely not care about a club they only spent 5 years at, but those fans decrying him at the time when there was reports they would leave will still put their hearts on their sleeve. There are exceptions but loyalty seems to be a one-way street in most cases.

At the very least he can come out honestly and tell the fans what he wants. But saying its not about money but then wanting to be one of thew highest paid in the world by some reports isn't a great look.

Looks like we might be able to get a bidding war going for Mane

They have spent very well in the past few years, but surely there's a point where you go from "not overpaying" to just plain underpaying. Salah has been among the top players in the world in recent years and the alleged offer is to increase his current deal by 15%. Whatever about offering a "prove yourself" contract to new players, if the reward for world class performances is to just about match inflation, then you'll struggle to retain players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Of all the players in the squad, I think Keita has been the most frustrating. An excellent player on his day, but when he’s poor, he’s dreadful. I wouldn’t have been one bit upset to see him replaced.

I doubt you will find James Pearce actually said that quote anywhere.

That twitter account is just a spam account and they attach and tag names to the there tweets without the actaul links to where the journo actually said it.

There is always the risk that you will lose a very good player by not paying enough and retaining a manageable and value based wage structure, but the alternative, paying above average for dross would have far greater repercussions. Surely you appreciate the dangers of over paying players?

• Advertisement

For all the great work Michael Edwards did and he did amazing work and deserves all that credit rightyfully so.

However what may turn out to be his biggest and most costly mistake was to let Bobby, Mane & Salah's contracts all end at the same time.

Seems to be a lot of negative news around lately, especially after the CL final loss. Mane leaving, using Salah's contract as a negative, Origi gone, talks of Keita leaving and Milner not having a contract renewed. It's all doom & gloom talk.

I wouldn't be surprised if all those players are on holidays anyways and there's nothing actively happening at the minute. It was a long season, the break is good for a change! Time to recharge. I'm sure the club have a lot of different succession plans in place. And while it is a baptism of fire for Julian Ward, a lot of these succession plans will have been worked on for 24+ months.

I'm won't gonna get caught up in all the negativity, well at least until its official at least!

Personally I don’t see Origi, Milner, Keita, Ox leaving as a negative, no doubt there would be planned replacements brought into the squad. Salah has commited to another year, anything could happen between now and June 23, the only downer is Mane.

Yeah Mane leaving is a massive downer, no other way of looking at it for me. I think it's a personal player reason rather than a club reason and he was won everything at the club, giving his all so you have to let him go with well wishes. He's doing it the right way.

I would keep Milner tbh. Set's the standard in the changing room and on the training field. The club is going through a transition this summer by the looks of things and having him in the background bedding in the new, younger lads and setting the ethos is important I think. I'm fairly sure he is bi-lingual too which helps with new players settling in and getting them used to what is expected of them.

If Milner, Ox, Keita all leave this summer, that's 3 midfielders leaving so a couple will be expected to come in. Gini left the season previous. It's a big changeover and Henderson can't show them all the ropes. Thiago is very experienced but he's only at the club a couple of seasons so can't really be showing the ropes. I don't get the impression that he or Fabinho are very vocal. Maybe it's a 'home nations' type thing where the likes of Hendo, Milner, Robbo etc really are vocal and keep others on their toes by leading by example. They are all captains and all very vocal.

If any player deserves to go where he wants its Mane. Name a reasonable price and if its Bayern he want's do the deal. Gave absolutely everything to the club, never a word in the media, played where he was told. This is the Thiago at Bayern situation in reverse.

I don't think its doom and gloom just a bit of uncertainty. We knew this was coming though with the way the contracts have went, its not ideal the front 3's all expire at the same time but players move on and a new team is been built. I always felt only one of Mane and Salah get a contract and it may turn out neither do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

im finding it quite exciting tbh,lets see who we get and how good the become,gotta keep evolving

Mane leaving this season when he’s still one of best strikers in the world and a whole season of distraction and speculation with it all ending with Salah leaving for free is more than doom & gloom to me but worst case scenario for a number of reasons.

Replacing those 50 goals a season would be really difficult ask and Also Salah is worth 60-70m surely and would the highest profile free transfer ever . We’d be losing out astronomically letting Origi, Salah & Mane for a combined approx €40m .

I know the transition and rebuilt has to start but the message that Mane & Salah may leave cause they can get better money at Bayern for example shows our best players are still leaving even though we one of the best if not the best in The world . It’s shows no matter how good you get or how much of superstar you become you won’t be paid equivalent to what other players of your level are on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Look how Fergie did it all the way through United's successful years....

He was always looking to refresh the team and bring in new faces no matter what he had won for them, and keep it competitive between the team internally...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Sure Klopp said the best is yet to come during his interview at the end of the parade. Maybe he knows something. Whatever happens I expect us to be challenging again for all the big ones next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

They signed Wood to take away whatever few goals Burnley so score and as contingency for the Championship which was a distinct possibility at the time.

you’re right though, who knows what NC will do, a city style model would be expected though. Identify young players, build a high class academy, pump the initial cash into the facilities and infrastructure around St James and in a couple of seasons start turning the screw making the big signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I feel quite a bit immature by saying this but I am still pissed off at losing that final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Looks like the Scots are not going to WC. We can add Robbo to the list of players who will get a nice long mid season break for us next year. We could have quite a few not going which is great for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be honest, if that was their plan, it wasn't a great one... Wood was having an absolute stinker of a season, and really wasn't the one you'd have been looking at to save Burnley. Newcastle meanwhile were desperate for someone, anyone, up front with Wilsons injuries.

Wood looked past it, and the second half of his season at Newcastle pretty much confirmed that. While Weghorst didn't exactly go pulling up any trees himself, he played better than Wood had, and left them with a slightly better team after the transfer.

On the Newcastle thing - they are going to absolutely spunk money everywhere. They probably won't do any big marquee 100m+ global superstar signings (they can't attract that sort of player yet anyway), but they'll be one of the biggest spenders in the world, just as they were the biggest spender in the world in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Hopefully mane will rethink, we have seen it plenty of times before where it was all just part of the contract negotiations.

It was all very publicly proclaimed though, particularly with the week long lead in to the announcement. Feels pretty definite.

• Advertisement

Feels like a negotiation tactic to me, time will tell, I don't think he is going anywhere but wants to feel more appreciated.

I'd be astonished if it wasn't real to be honest. Too public, and too unequivocal, especially from a fella like Mane.

You have to be able to call a bluff to be a decent negotiator, mane was getting no attention as they wanted to sort salah deal first, he is getting attention now

You're right that a threat of leaving is totally normal - just not so much directly to the fans after a crushing defeat, without even the hint of issues with his contract offers or any disputes or anything mentioned within it, just; "I'll give you my decision after the CL final", and then; "Sadio Mane has decided to leave Liverpool".

All the stuff you're saying applies more to Mo, and is how these things normally work, with public statements more in the line of; "i love it here, I want to stay, but we need to agree on a contract" etc etc. Not "I'm outa here lads". If you're talking to the public, you're doing to to get public sentiment on your side to add pressure to the club. The way Mane's framed it hasn't done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Don't agree with the club bending to any players demands or crippling ourselves financially.

BUT........

Its a bloody shame we create these huge stars but financially it doesn't seem possible for us to pay them market rate. Is Liverpool a club who will never be able to hold onto the world's best players?

I'm not talking PSG levels of salary, but the likes of Bayern seem capable of paying wages we won't/can't.

The guys playing at the highest level, Benzema, Modric, Lewandowski etc are in their mid 30s and still producing. The clubs who pay these guys have winning as their main aim.

It's crazy to think Mane and Salah will fall off a cliff in terms of form, it's quite conceivable both will be banging in goals in 4 years time given how durable they are/how they look after themselves.

We seem to be the only club who cannot afford to pay market rate for the world's best.

I get we trust our recruitment guys, but there's only so many times they can go to the well and find rough diamonds. FSG have shown they will spend on transfer fees but the wage ceiling limits us and it's a shame given we are a club at the top end of the richest league in the world having contested 3 of the last 5 champions League finals.

Unearthing some gem from France in the hope he becomes a 100million player in 3-5 years is the work of an also ran. We can only hope some of these guys feel playing for Liverpool is a bigger honour than looking for the going rate.

And that days is gone unfortunately. I expect Bellingham will be out of reach in 2023 as well in terms of wages if he has good season in 2022/23 too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement