Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Depp/Heard Trial Verdict

Comments

That's the last we'll ever see of this kind of conceited smirk.

What victim of domestic abuse goes around courtrooms with that look across her face - repeatedly. Even without saying a word, this picture speaks volumes. She's not a victim of domestic abuse; she was simply out to seek revenge through her hateful inner narrative that Depp must be destroyed to make Amber feel better.

When she talked about "his power" and "his influence" (again, repeatedly), that was mere projection for the kind of power, influence, and wealth she would herself like. Once a narcissist, always a narcissist.

She thought she was clever. Now Amber has been exposed for what she is and always will be: a liar, a manipulator, and a fake victim of abuse.

I'm not interested in women, as it happens. But she is the worst kind of woman you could possibly come into contact with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Its not about the damages for Depp, he won this case WEEKS ago. He should and probably will donate the money elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i watched the verdict, there were 3 amounts of 10, 5, and 2 mil for the various things. 0 awarded for another of them.

ETA: seems like its more 13m if i understand correctly?

timestamps: 6 mins, and 8.55 mins

I wonder what will become of Amber. She has a personality disorder that manifests itself in manipulative behaviour, bullying and lies etc. However, there has been a MASSIVE vitriol agenda against her on social media and I would be concerned about her safety now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭dbas

Disgrace that all those allegations were allowed to be made against Johnny depp in such a public way. I'm glad identities are kept private over here until after conviction. Imagine your life being thrown upside down with false allegations for six years.

I watched the whole trial. It was clear she lied throughout the whole trial. Johnny's lawyers saw right through her and called her on every single lie.

The jury felt the same evidently.

A great result for honesty and decency.

I hope Heard gets done for purgery for all the lies she told on the stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Would you ever stop with the nonsense about her smirking. It's total cringe and very see through to what you're really saying.

Obviously a toxic relationship but glad Depp got justice in the end.

I think you're ignoring the lengths that Heard and the media, in general, went to in order to present herself as a victim of domestic abuse. It was everywhere, and even someone like myself who avoids most social media, kept seeing her claims being presented, with Depp being portrayed as a brutal monster.

She played the crowd.. and many people didn't like being taken in by her. So, yeah, there was a sizable anti-heard crowd right from the beginning of the case, because quite a bit of his evidence was starting to come out along with questions about her claims. The UK case wasn't subjected to the same amount of scrutiny, with Depp just being assumed to be guilty.. this one was different.

Honestly, Heard brought all of this on herself. She manipulated public opinion, and it eventually bit her in the ass. Which is just wonderful in my book. Society will start recognising the manipulative nature of some women, and the issues surrounding domestic abuse along with the pressure against men to report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

If she hadn't had posted an op ed she would have gotten away with her abuse.

At the time that op ed was posted, and it is true today I believe, there are over 2,000 shelters for female victims of domestic abuse in the USA, there is 1 for men.

The conversation we need to have is the pernicious influence feminists have on the provision of domestic abuse services, it is the same here in this country....the government here provides over €30 million a year to support female victims of domestic abuse, €750k to support male victims.

She was made an ambassador / spokespersons for the UN on womens rights after her op ed.

Amber Herd performance in court was a sight to see...the "believe all women" movement will no doubt continue but the vast majority of people aren't on board if they ever really were, this case has drawn a massive audience it's one of the biggest trials in recent decades...no doubt Irelands finest feminists will castigate the jury or the justice system in Irish media tomorrow, no doubt they will bully and harass anyone who disagrees with them as we have witnessed in recent times, we expect no less from them.

In fairness, I'd say the suicide risk is probably very high.

She presumably has a high net worth, but to lose $8+ million might destroy her life - maybe even her home?

Her reputation with work / acting has been irrevocably wrecked. Who would want to employ Amber, knowing what she is now guilty of and/or capable of?

Her lifestyle will be destroyed.

So whilst I am glad she lost this case, there is unfortunately the real risk that this could cause a very dangerous downward spiral.

And when in an improper state of mind, might she consider this ultimate wrecking ball as a way to punish Depp for causing this loss to her in the first place? It's irrational, but if she's not in the right frame of mind, she may well justify it to herself. Hopefully this doesn't come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭NiceFella

I watched one video of her giving "evidence" of Depp being physically abusive to police. Her mannerisms from that alone and I knew she was twisting arguments into something more malicious than had taken place. She did no wrong in any situation.

That and the fact that pretty much all JD's former GF's came out in his defense (Many of which may have reason to hold a grudge) saying he never lifted a finger to them.

You don't start just being physically abusive in your 50s. You'd definitely have a long history of doing that and evidence. So yeah it was fairly easy to tell on the surface in my opinion.

By the way, not saying Depp was an angel. Definitely has issues, but I don't think he was abusive.

• Advertisement

No need for that. She deserves what she gets in terms of this trial. But her house has been shown online etc and despite being a liar nobody (of sound mind) should wish her physical harm at the hands of others or herself.

I'd wonder how much of her personality disorder is faked just to garner sympathy or provide an excuse for her behaviour.. as for the vitriol agenda on social media, she started that all by herself first, and I doubt she cared what it would do to Depp.

I'd guess she'll end up penniless and disappear into the woodwork. She still has to deal with her "pledges" and that's a wholly different can of worms. She could see prison time for it, which would definitely end her career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Depp $10m + $5m (capped at $350,000) punitive [10,350,000 total], Heard 2m + 0 punitive.

I didn't wish anything on her.

I do think (but certainly don't hope) that she may end up like a higher profile Caroline Flack.

Yes, and given Depp admitted during the trial for decades long abuse of alcohol and drugs, you'd imagine that some semblance of a violent history would be at least detectable.

But it was nowhere to be seen.

Apparently it only surfaced when he got married to Amber Heard. How convenient...

Its a pity he has distanced himself (understandably) from Disney and Pirates. However, if he was to return to the role it would be MASSIVE.

The fact that she has a personality disorder does not absolve her from her ability to make her own choices in life. She is 100% responsible for the choices she makes.

It certainly does not let her away with making vile allegations of sexual/ physical abuse against someone

i'll tell you one thing, camille vasquez's charge out rate will quadruple. some performance by her, and the rest of depp's team as well.

on the other side, they seemed clueless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Fair play Johnny Depp for taking this case. Totally vindicated now.

He could have easily just sucked it up....and hoped it would blow over.

Completely concur.

I always make the obesity comparison.

"Yes, you may have proven that you are genetically predisposed to gaining weight. But your choice to eat 14 pizzas a week is not exactly helping the matter."

In other words, you manage decisions within your own personal context, and remain responsible for those actions accordingly.

This should clarify. “After less than three days of deliberation, Heard was awarded $2million in compensatory damages out of the $100million she was seeking in her countersuit against her ex-husband. She was awarded zero dollars in punitive damages.

Despite the jury awarding Depp $15million, the judge reduced the $5million punitive damages award to the Virginia maximum of $350,000, reducing Depp’s total to $10,350,000 – minus the $2million he was ordered to pay Heard. In total Depp walks away with $8.35million in damages”

Jesus Christ, the sky news commentary..... FFS

I agree.

My point is that she doesn't deserve to be physically attacked and I wouldn't like to see another human taking their life. I am not saying that will happen but you never know. She would be well advised to avoid social media etc and leave the country for a while.

Heards team was pretty bad alright... although then again, look at what they had to work with? The fake crying, the mood swings on the witness stand, she came across as being so manipulative, and then, she couldn't keep her stories straight. Anyone, including her friends who disagreed was a liar.

Kinda hard for any lawyers to deal with that.

• Advertisement

Yea even if he lost this case, he still won it. His reputation is back on track and hers is destroyed.

and watch all that be graciously donated (or pledged 😂) to the ACLU and children's hospital of LA

There's a lot of crazies in the US and those who follow Hollywood seem particularly nutty. She's made a lot of enemies...

But TBH I suspect there's still a core group of people who believe Heard was right and would want to harm Depp. It's the way the US celeb scene is these days. Emotions run unchecked, and the crazies seem able to track wherever you go.

Camille Vasquez was exceptional throughout the trial; and clearly demonstrates what a competent lawyer brings for the price compared to the trash that Amber Heard dragged in from the ash heap to defend her.

I mean, anyone who has watched Heard's legal team trying to summon a competent defence would cringe.

At the same time, Amber Heard was smirking while her legal team were defending her, making her look like a total fool.

In fairness, her team are actually quite reputable. They took her on and I believe they quickly found out she was full of it but had to remain professional (as much as they could) as they were being paid. They knew they were on to a loosing case.

• Advertisement

the closing argument for depp was great. to believe heard, you need to believe the cops that testified were lying, and about 15 other witnesses were lying also. but depp is so powerful says amber. so powerful that all these people will commit perjury?

as an aside, why couldn't we have a thread during the trial? it was televised, all over US media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Agree on the "believe all women" movement. I saw this article the other day and its bias was shocking to me:

https://www.vogue.com/article/why-its-time-to-believe-amber-heard

She would be well advised to treat people with respect and never tell lies about someone else again.

Bang of gone girl off her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Oh, I agree. Depps teams was very smooth and professional. It's interesting just how different they were considering that Heard had the money to hire anyone she wished (still had access to her divorce money, in addition to her own accounts). "Did I read that right?" Hilarious. Heard's team really cemented Depp as being the favoured one when he managed to respond so well to their inept handling.

In fairness to them she lied to them as well. Very hard to build a defence on a lie.

Like building a house on quicksand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

He didnt distance himself he was kicked out. Pirates i think is finished as a franchise anyway. He needs to get back to real acting.

Based on what I have seen, I don't think she is capable of that. People with her type of personality go their whole lives believing their own lies, bully people and claim to be the victims.

I see it myself in my own workplace, its astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Yeh the avalanch of "don't bother coming forward about your abuse, you wont be believed now" articles has already begun . Completely counter productive clickbait bullshit from supposed advocates for the abused. They certainly won't bother coming forward if they buy into that narrative you morons. On the other hand If they've paid any attention to the trial they'll have recognised all the hallmarks of an abuser not in Johnny , but in Amber. The recordings where she dares Johnny to say she hit him " see if they believe you" , the recording where she talks about him splitting (hiding in the bathroom) to avoid confrontations, the love letters where she said " sometimes you just drive me crazy , but I should never hit you ,you're the last person I'd ever want to hurt" all textbook abuser behaviour.

She would never have let it blow over. She would have stayed making things up for decades, and the children's hospital would still not have their donation

• Advertisement

And I don't feel sorry for these people. I feel sorry for the people who they bully or attempt to bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

We don't really know that, do we?

She could easily have been coached badly, or wasn't the great actor she thought she was. It's not as if her team managed the examination of Depp well. TBH I was rather bemused at how slow, disorganised, etc they were. They didn't show any kind of style before Heard took the stand and well, ruined it properly.

What is seen cannot be unseen.

I think that's why the majority of people sided with Johnny depp. A lot of us have seen these types before

I'd put it another way.

Her legal team are probably very astute. Had they been interrogating Ms Heard, they would have identified some serious problems. They probably internally knew this during the trial when Heard was being interrogated by Depp's team. Of course, they can't admit this kind of thing.

Just because a lawyer takes on a role, doesn't mean they necessarily believe it. They could probably see through Heard's inconsistencies just as much as Depp's legal team. They're all brewed from the same crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

One of the most toxic relationships I've ever heard about and two deeply troubled individuals but I watched a lot of the trial & looked at the perspectives of both her supporters and his.

I believe they fought terribly and it was abusive on both sides. There is evidence she physically assaulted him but no evidence that he physically assaulted or sexually abused her.

Her documenting & recording so much was her downfall. She documented so much to make him look badly, drunk, high, incoherent, temper, destroying property etc but had no evident of the physical abuse. If he hit her, she would have taken evidence.

I've no doubt it was toxic but believe she said about to capitalise on the metoo movement & set out to destroy him.

To abuse someone is wicked but to falsely accuse someone is also wicked. There will be some who will also believe he is guilty. She has set victims back so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

There always has be to someone dog whistling sexist misandrist attitudes

UK trial had no jury. No leave to appeal given. Judge has since retired. Entirely coincidentally, the judge's son worked for TALKRadio owned by one Rupert Murdoch. Who owns The Sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

minus legal fees...

but it was never about the money for depp ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The premise of her op ed was a lie to begin with...there is a huge amount of money invested in supporting female victims of domestic abuse.

The claim she was repeatedly punched in the face for years by a man who wears massive rings on his fingers every day and yet couldn't produce a single picture of a cut on her face (despite being pictured every where she goes) or a medical record to indicate harm has ensured everyone but the nuttiest of feminists can see in plain sight how vindicitive and abusive she actually was, of course our vocal feminists won't admit it, they will defend her on twitter, in media over the coming days, it will be years down the road before they admit it, but this case is so public and Amber Heard is now so toxic, she will damage the credibility of anyone and by extension any media outlet defending her!

Media is already dying a death by a thousand cuts, but this one is a akin to having a finger chopped off!

Advertisement