Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

absolutely, to me the M50 is almost too fast for the road, not sure why anyone would need faster. If it was in my price range I’d happily sacrifice the extra power/speed for a nicely spec’d Taycan RWD, which I’m sure is plenty fast for Irish roads

Model 3P does 0-100km quicker, i4 is quicker 0-160km & 100-200km, Model 3P has higher top speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

I think top end of the Bmw M50 is 225 km/hr & the Tesla Model 3P is 262 km/hr, so the Tesla would catch & pass the M50 I presume on a runway or autoban

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I haven't done many 0-200km/h in Ireland. I think the last time I did one in my old 80s Porsche which shifted from 3rd to 4th gear at about 200km/h 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Its sort of a never ending logic....well the i4 is 80k push to 90 and you have a taycan....push to 150 and you have a Model S Plaid etc. You have to plant your flag at a certain point.

Just on the Taycan thing, I dont really see anything wrong with a base spec RWD, base colour base interior, only the base wheels would annoy my cause they is ugly. Taycan is very much focused on being a "drivers EV" and leaving out anything thats not driving focused or takes the focus off driving. It has all the tech really, the apps and infotainment, basic cruise control....and everything you could want really. The base interior is very nice. I dont think really you could want much more. All the extras are mostly just that....easy to live without. But the Taycan is the most configurable car Porsche make, so you can go into unbelievable detail, and there is a certain FOMO not getting all the bells and whistles, but the basic one is a fine fine car.

A Tesla Model 3 performance runs out of puff quickly after an atomic launch...really is built for 0-60 and once you get over that it builds speed slowly....you would want a long run to get to its top speed....its the single gear it has. Really any EV with a 0-60 of 5 secs or under is plenty fast, you never get to the top speed and things like 80kph - 160kph are more important for how fast it feels on the motorway.....top trumps stats are for noobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

The i4 and The Taycan are head turners though, they have the looks as well as the build.

The Taycan is the goal I’m working to in the not too distant future, a bit of graft will get me there (hopefully). That aside I think the base model needs the bigger battery, upgraded suspension, the 20 inch wheels, the 150kW DC converter, all those at a minimum, you might disagree? That’s probably €10k of options. Add in a few creature comforts that should be standard & like I said, the most frugal spec. I could come away with was around €115k. I see one Taycan on a not too regular basis where I am & when I do see it I’m always gobsmacked at its presence & how pictures/videos don’t do it any justice.

If I could afford it, I'd get the Taycan 4S for the better performance and air suspension (at not a huge extra cost), but I could easily live with the base model. Zero options.

Having a need for a huge battery is mostly something that lives in a new EV buyers head, without much practicality to back it up. It adds substantial weight and cost and for most people brings little real life benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Re getting my cash back.

It's not what I wanted.

I want the car I ordered, and if anything they've probably sold my trade in at a nice profit and would I'm sure only offer me the trade in value they gave me as cash. Would leave me out of pocket as replacing my trade in would cost me probably 8k more than they gave me for it.

I've considered all the options at this point anyway, over and over again. Decision time next week.

It would be reasonable to expect a gesture of goodwill either from BMW Ireland or the dealer but I won't hold me breath.

There really aren't any good outcomes other than a timely repair and car returned next week.

Any other outcome is going to have me substantially out of pocket and dealing with more BS for another unknown period of time.

It’s more the additional performance I was thinking of with the bigger battery. Fair point with the added weight. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone discuss ( written reviews, YouTube etc.) the weight/performance off set for with/without the bigger battery. And I might be wrong but I believe that air suspension setup is only an option in the RWD model i.e. standard on the 4S

• Advertisement

Yes that's why I would be tempted to go for the 4S, if you take into account it has air suspension as standard (and better performance) and is not that much more expensive than the base model. But I'd be happy enough with the base model too. I always prefer RWD over AWD for driving enjoyment.

All those are good options but you could live without them in reality. I say this as somebody that put 35k of options onto a 4s and came so close to a turbo it was not funny (GTS was not out at the time)...but a base no option Taycan is still a taycan just depends on where you plant your flag. The extra performance of the 4s is nice to have, but I have launched mine a handfull of time and really forget about it after that. It would require unbelievable will power to get a base one, but its a courageous choice. Base model Taycan cross Tourismo 4 is the way to go....big battery and air suspension as standard and better wheels. 105k. Most people buying these want them exactly to their spec and I totally get that. Watch out for tiny mileage model year 21 Taycans these are good value. Its funny that the M50 is priced in such a way to make the discussion move naturally to the Porsche, if a fully loaded M50 was 75k it would not be an issue at all.

Yeah hard to disagree with any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Hope your right Fitz ! Cross turismo 4 ,July delivery all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Can we stop talking about the Taycan.

It just keeps bringing me back to the Porsche configuration

(*only 35k in Options)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Without wanting to annoy you further yellow rattle,I think there’s a definite man math’s argument to be made that a basic Taycan with a couple of options may work out cheaper to own over a 3/4 year period than a cheaper list price i4 m50.

depreciation is bound to be more on the BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

a 'cheap' taycan is probably going to be one of the best performing cars depreciation wise over the next 3 years i reckon.

Only in a BMW i4 thread will you see anyone talking about a "cheap Taycan"

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you know what i mean 😁

im tormented with them, fitz has one across the road from me and now my neighbour has one too,

Soon!

To be fair I only had my i4 for a week and I was really smug with it until an absolutely stunning Taycan pulled up next to me at Kill South Ionity... Only time I felt jealous that week. Some machine.

I'd be divorced if I bought one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Etron GT stopped in traffic the other side of road there earlier got a good 30 second look at it as regards road presence. Also very impressive. Taycan and etron GT becoming a semi common sight now, see a few of them around and they are lovely. I'm sure bmw have something in mind to replace the 6 series and compete in that class although I haven't heard yet.

I had said a few pages back that I was getting 320km range on a full charge, which was a mistake. That was based on a 500km round trip where the majority was motorway speeds. Real world range I’m seeing 380ish km & that’s with the 20 inch wheels. Just said I’d correct my error for anyone looking back through the thread.

Motorway speeds of 120km/h (GPS not speedo) or more are detrimental to the range of EVs, even the most aerodynamic ones (the i4 has excellent aerodynamics)

If you avoid motorways and it's not winter, you can get the advertised WLTP range in most EVs if you have a light foot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

My 85km motorway commute @130 actual usually takes 25% off my range and that's including having some fun, when I get bored.

So 320-350km real world motorway range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Can any owners confirm if the i4 supports wired Apple Carplay or if its wireless only like iDrive 7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

has anyone ordered an i4 recently - what sort of delivery dates are they talking about?

Haven’t tried wired, but I’ll give it a go there later on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Friend of a friend enquired a few weeks ago and was told late 2023!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I ordered m50 model a couple of weeks ago.

I was given no guarantee of delivery next year.

dealer said that at the moment BMW themselves can’t tell them anything on what is happening.

I went to enquire about the m50 I saw in Limerick but as expected it was a sold car. They told me was ordered last October and just waiting for July. They put it in the showroom floor as they’re so low in stock cars.

They said though that BMW told them last week that production going forward will favour electric and phev models with ice cars playing second fiddle. Customer ordered cars will be built before dealer ordered cars too.He said they hope this will mean that more i4’s will come through sooner but it will be after July when my23 cars start being slotted for production when they will have more knowledge.

Advertisement