Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

We occasionally use the oil to heat the water for baths for the kids. We have an immersion - but it broke as it was never really used cos the oil used to be cheaper… Must get it fixed…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We use thee oil too even though we have an immersion, always thaought it cheaper...... be terrified to work out the cost now, eek.

All tanks are empty now, Kero, ag diesel, and auto diesel.....cost in the region of €5-6000 to fill ....eek again

13 degrees yesterday between 3-4pm, 11 degrees the same time the day before. Van measurement admittedly, but it sure didn't feel like the end of May at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Brother next door leaves for work at 6. Frost on the car last two mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Electricity is gone very expensive as well. Put the immersion on a timer if you have night rate.

We put in solar for hot water about ten years ago. Best think ever. Alway hot water from Mid March to middle of October. You might have the odd day but not that often. There was a big hot water tank put in to have enough hot water.

As well you put a thermostatic valve off the hot tank which mixed cold and hot leaving the tank. It to prevent the hot water scalding you( water can be 70C+ at bottom of the tank. You set this valve to however hot you want the water at the kitchen sink. This stretches your hot water further.

I noticed after our oil consumption reduced by 150 ish L per year. Before we used to use 1100L in about 11 months after wards the tank stretched to nearly 13 months. Even in winter and the tubes heat the water to a tepid temperature that reduced you heating costs.

Slava Ukrainii

Interesting on the solar panels - we also have solar panels.

What I have found is they are great on bright sunny days like today. But can be poor on cloudy days. April/May and Sept/Oct the water from the solar would be hit and miss… Interesting you say mid March to October…

Ours are also 10 years old, was grand when it was just me and Mrs Dinzee. But with kids, you’d use the hot water they generate in no time. I don’t know if it’s the tank size either - we have a big enough tank, but the bottom could still be cool enough… Maybe I should look into adding another set - we only have one set of tubes in the roof, maybe 2-3metres wide…

We would get about 14 months from an oil tank, about 1100l as well. But - we burn a lot of sticks as well in a range in the kitchen. Without this, we’d probably use twice as much oil or more I’d say…

Edit - oh, on the immersion, don’t night rate. But lately, with the price of oil - we just stick down the range and it heats the hot water. I’d say that’s probably what we’ll continue doing…

Nephew did the specifications for mine at the time. He said that most plumbers specifications were too small. Mine was Southeast normal spec was twenty tubes. He recommended putting in 30 tubes which ment I needed two frames for them. Cost 4-500 extra at the time.

I have come accross other with your problem. It's mostly down to too few times or panels instead of tubes. The tubes were made in Austrian as well not Chinese.

We have no electric showers in the house now. Both are power showers fed off the hot and cold water. There is a dump to the radiators it works off the stove thermostat.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Solar panels here are a real boon. We occasionally top up with immersion but it’s only after a few overcast days. I’d say tue panels supply 95% of tue hot water outside the heating times. But I’ve seen tue panels running over Christmas if it’s bright clear weather and we ran the tank temperature down.

• Advertisement

Just looked there - we only have 18 tubes on ours, one frame…

We are the same re showers, only use the non-electric ones (we have an electric all right)

same setup with the dump to the downstairs rads - but the solar never causes this. It’s only the range would heat the water enough for this to happen…

Post edited by Dinzee Conlee on

A plumber saw it afterwards and taught the extra tubes were over kill. He taught that twenty on one rack was more than enough. However I have come accross a good few that have the same problem.as you

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

Say these boys not generating much this evening here

Not a stir out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

From my current perch I have a massive 360° view of west cork. Timoleague Courtmacsherry parts of clonakilty. What's visible on the horizon at sea south of the Old Head of Kinsale is a massive crane ship one of the world's largest. They're dismantling all the equipment associated with the Old Head gas field.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭emaherx

2 frames of tubes here facing south, easily provides hot water most days from March to October but there are definitely exceptions. I've immersion set to come on automatically at night if tank happens to be cold and the forecast is poor for the following day just in case.

PV's are the way to go now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

The last year has been very poor for wind generation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Got it out minus the C4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone else having problems with couriers just dropping parcels everywhere and anywhere? Loads of issues around here with Fastway in particular. They just drop them on walls anywhere along the road. We've a parcel here for over 2 weeks for some guy in west Clare. They know we have but couldn't be arsed collecting it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Isn’t the expected lifespan very short on solar panels from a few years back, like 10 15 years for properly maintained one’s at a cost of maybe €250 a year and then complete replacement. Huge amount of people with redundant ones on there roof. €900 euro hot press tanks that have had to be replaced. Original installation done with mortgage money at a massive cost over 30 years. Sums never added up to even close to making sense. At one time if an immersion was left on 24/7 with a small household it cost about €500 per year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

When they look for it back tell them you left it on the wall in front of depot.

Not that problem, but DPD have a broken new system they seem intent to intermittently persist with.... The drivers hate it. Talking to one of the last week he said it'll never work, but usual story, money was spent on it so it has to be better. I get emails and texts now for vans that don't show up. One drop I knew the parcel was in the van, driver was adamant it wasn't, and even if it was he wouldn't be able find it (due to how the van is packed on new system). 30 minutes later he rings me, when I'm 30 minutes away, I found your parcel.... They keep pushing the new system on the drivers, things go to ****, they go back to the old system, it works, people calm down, then they push **** again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Fast way leave our packages at the end of our lane as the dogs go mad at the girl who leaves the packages. Dpd throw them out of the van in our yard. Found a jersey id ordered off lfc store on the concrete in the yard a while ago, no packaging to be seen

No that's not the experience I've never had mine serviced, been in since 2007 and still working away, perhaps lost some efficiency but hard to tell since we went from 2 occupant's to 5. I replaced a leaking pressure release valve and nothing more.

I think most with redundant panels on the roof just got the wrong underspec'd system in the first place. There were 3 houses built here at the same time, the other 2 houses have flat panel solar panels half the size of mine facing west and have just never performed.

Mine are definitely paying for themselves now given the cost of heating water with oil or electricity.

Post edited by emaherx on

We got ours serviced once about 2 years ago - they were in 10 years and I said I would get them checked… We got the oil boiler serviced at the same time…

Ours are ok - they do generate hot water, maybe not enough for 5 people. But they are half the size of the ones you and Bass have…

They work well enough for us - as in the summer they generate the hot water, in the winter, the range is on so that supplies the hot water. It’s just days in the spring and autumn can be a bit hit and miss…

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

That’s definitely a positive story on them alright. But don’t forget how technically gifted you are yourself and no one is going to be able to bullshit you into a service you may not need. Not sure how true this is but when they were installed on the roof years but not yet up and running which would be normal. If it got bad frost the tubes were ruined.

Are PVs any good? Like, do they make financial sense yet?

I don’t know would we use that much electricity during the day to justify them?

Well thanks I'll take that compliment!

Probably a lot installed by cowboys too.

Not sure why the tubes would be effected by frost though they are vacuum tubes and contain no water, the water is in the manifold at the top. I believe the flat panel type are much more prone to problems with frost, but should contain glycol to combat that.

I don't have the same experience of them except small scale projects around the farm for pumping water, running fences and lighting, but what I'm hearing from others is positive. It like the solar hot water will probably come down to what you get installed with some systems performing much better than others. I believe there are small PV systems being sold now just for heating water and they out perform our tubes as they work in day light even during the winter. But PV for electricity generation you now have options of storing power in batteries, using surplus to heat water and/or radiators and more recently sell back to the grid.

I changed to one of the smart meter plans last year and have been monitoring electricity usage, I moved using all large appliances to night time and am paying less now for electricity than I was a year ago even with the price increases, I can see the half hourly energy usage and I'm using more power per hour during the night than I am during the day. The dishwasher, washing machine and immersion use more power than the rest of the house combined so if you think you don't use much electricity in the daytime, these 3 appliances along with a tumble dryer and an electric cooker could test the output of any solar PV installation. You may be surprised at how much daytime electricity you use because these days lighting is very efficient. I have a gas tumble dryer which works out well as cloths can be washed on night rate and dried in the morning in the dryer or on the line.

I did get a quote last year for a PV install think it was about 11K for 14 Panels, I found the sales man from one of the largest installers in the country was very pushy and kept emphasizing how the grant would be gone within weeks and he couldn't guarantee the price more than a few days. So finding an honest reputable installer may well be the biggest challenge. Probably nothing wrong with the system I was quoted for but I wonder how some of these sales people sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Would you have any concern of running all them appliances at night and if there ever was a fire hazard from them?

Advertisement