Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

An extra week or 2 and you’re into mid June with poor quality feed for any stock

3000 gallons and 3 bags of cut sward went out on 1st and for 2nd cut here

it’ll yeild high if you feed it, you get out what you put in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So I've done some googling

Units are based on per bag (50kg) so 3 bags per acre of 18-6-12 would be 54 units. This right?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

You can have the best of Silage made in June/July/August even up to mid-Sept. I find that heavily fertilized crops don't always make great silage. Grass can be over leafy with no stem. So unless you get perfect weather you'll end up with soft bales and if there's nitrogen still present then the Silage can go black. The lack of stem means the silage runs through the cattle which isn't ideal either.

But back to my main point that the economics of the high fertilizer and Silage making costs Sums don't add up. Fertilizer may be better value than ration but its still only a lessor of two bad options at the moment. Beef prices are nowhere near where they should be in relation to input cost. Yes they may catch up eventually but not at todays prices does it pay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You can have too much N and K in silage too.

It's not unknown for big crops of black silage going in and black silage in the winter.

Neighbour with an acre cottage plot proudly had 15 bales/acre. And sold to a dairy farmer. Dairy farmer had to dump every bale in the dung heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,662 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No last winter itwas 27/bale. I was costing this winter at 37/bale. A bale feeds 32 stores for a day. I make very dry bales. Store would be around 430-440kgs at housing. At times they might eat a bit more if they got it. The pens are double pens and can take up to 35/pen(pens are19' deep). Last winter there was about 21-22/double pen, two bales lasted three days. when I came back on day three the feedface would be well cleaned.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Don't think so. I think that would be 27kg of N. As far as I know the 18 here is % of the bag. So 18% of 50kg bag, or 9kg per bag. How that relates to units is a mystery to me. I asked about this here previously and got many different answers. Teagasc aren't any good to answer it in their literature too

Awh damn it. Thought I had it figured out.😣

If you are in enviormental schemes you have to soil test for them. Generall they run five years so you are testing every five years. Units are easy when you get used to them. Historically fertlizer came in 50kg not 500kg bags ( it can still be got tha way if you have no value in your back). What the 50kg bag contained indicated the units.

18-6-12 is 18 units of N,6 units of P and 12 units of K.

Urea is 46 units of N.

The rest of fertlizers are the same.

Traditionally silage was considered to need 100 units of N, 30 units of P and 100 units of K per acre.

On average during april and May grss can use 2 units of N on average per day. Average is the operative word. In early april it may struggle to use a unit/day but by mid may it could be usind 3/day. That is who some lads cutting early (10-14th May) are sometime having problems with silage as if April is a poor growth month the N may not be gone out of there silage.

Slava Ukrainii

Ok so there's this on Teagasc

A crop of grass silage (5t/ha of DM) will require 125 kg N/ha (100 units/acre). A crop of grass silage will take up on average 2.5kg/ha/day of N (2units/day), therefore apply N at least 50 days before cutting to ensure full N utilisation.

So 125kg of N per Hectare = 50kg of N per acre = 100 units/acre

Therefore, in a 50kg bag of 24-2.5-10 there will be (50kg x 24%) 12.25kg of N. You need 50kg of N per acre for silage so 50kg / 12.25 is roughly 4 bags per acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Correct. It does what it says on the bag literally. Just don't forget that not all big bags contain 500kg, for example some Urea products come in 350kg bags.

• Advertisement

The unit comes from the old legacy imperial measurements based on the Hundredweight bag which translated to the 50kg bag. So a bag of 18-6-12 has 18 units of N, 6 of P 12 of K

When someone says they are applying X amount of units to the acre it literally is the number on the bag. This is an old style system that worked well. The problem and confusion is now we have the modern technique of kg/hectare. The kg amount is not printed on the bag they still use the old unit style so you have to go and work out the amounts of each. A unit is just over a Ilb weight which is roughly 0.5kg. So basically divide the numbers on the bag by 2 to get the kg amounts in the Bag.  

Teagasc recommend that for Silage it needs 125 kg N/ha this is roughly 100units/acre (2 bags of Urea brings you close enough!!)

To add to the confusion an American Unit is not the same either, the US units are slightly less due to the fact that a Hundredweight in the US is 100 Ilbs while a Hundredweight Imperial is 112Ilbs so keep that in mind when reading up on US fertilizer literature such as World fertilizer prices etc

Great thanks :)

So I'm guessing if you're making silage, you'd use the high nitrogen content stuff for growth or maybe mix it with something like 10-10-20 if you needed some k also.

So is Urea/CAN used only for silage? I heard someone say not to use Urea on grazing ground as there'd be too much grass. Is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

its 18 units in a 50 kg bag or 9’kg N per 50kg bag

your nitrogen you’ve spread per year is calculated in kg N per ha

if you spread 3 bags of 18 6 12/ac that’s 7.4 bags per ha which is 370 kgs of fertiliser

18% of 370 kgs is 66 kg so you’ve spread 66 kgs N per ha or 133 units /ha

Not always. Nowadays you need to do soil tests, this will give you an accurate picture of what fertilizer to spread. With the price of fertilizer it really is a no brainer to do the soil tests and they are relevant for 5 years as the soil will not change that fast.

Do the soil tests and if you are unsure of the results throw them up here and someone will be able to go through them with you.

Blends like cut-sward are formulated to give the correct ratio of what a typical silage crop needs but no more. But would be the best option if you are spreading blind

What is "cut-sward"? Is it like pre mixed fertiliser to give you the correct mix of what you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Thanks for that

I've saved that for future reference . I used to understand but had all forgotten.

Alarmingly I'm not that old to start forgetting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I'd agree, you would. Baled 8 Fusion bales/acre excellent quality and 30% DM this week. Only received 3k gal slurry and no bag at all. Closed just 7 weeks.

Plenty of clover in the sward and the best field in the farm in fairness.

But it goes to show what you can get from slurry alone, if all else goes your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Some year to pump grass though, that said slurry is nearly all you need.

Grass will head out at some stage. When gras starts to head out it redirects all its energy into producing seed. First the grass flowers and then seeds out. cattle cannot digest the grass seeds. Flowering is not a problem.

If you do not do first cut until mid/late June quality will be poor. While it's adequate for Suckler cows stores will not put weight on. If you have ryegrass swards they will use up the N. Generally I hit about 85-90 units N for first crop. There is no clover at present in my silage swards. I intend to try to change that in the next few years.

I usually start applying N by April 1st. That give me 55 days to cutting or 1.65 units N/ day if I cut on the 25 th May. I would not consider the amount I spread excessive.

Cut swards is not adequate for silage. It's is actually supposed to be used with slurry. If growing silage with bag fertilizer only 5 bags of 18-6+12 is nearly in the ball park.

While you may get away without spreading any fertlizer for a year or two and have adequate crops over time your crops will deteriorate. The growth rate will continually slow down and the feed value will keep reducing.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

Just on the Teagasc N recommendation, they revised this from 100 units to 80 units from this year onwards. Something about the extra 20N making little or no difference for the cost involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I was just about to post about that. I didn’t realise it was a teagasc recommendation now but for a good few years now 80-85 units is all I’d put out and had no reduction in yield or quality from when I was spreading 100-110 units.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You have to remember that Teagasc has also pushed the recommended cutting date back to early/mid May. You are taking 7+ days of the highest growth period out of the equation.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

Neighbour bit the bullet for some reason and cut and baled. Had more grass off my own lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Absolutely. A wet and windy May, fills the yards with corn and hay!

The timing of the weather we got in April and May could scarcely have been better for grass.

And a good thing, with the year that's in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I can't remember a year with such little ground frost in April and May mornings.

In fact I remember a ground frost in June mornings last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

The alternative way of getting the '4 bags to the acre' answer would be to divide the required 100 units by the 24 in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Crops are huge this year even with the reduction in fertilizer.

Spread a bag and a half of urea (less on some ground) along with slurry and never had a crop like it. The weather is the key. No amount of fertilizer will make up for poor growth. Should be no fodder shortage this winter.

Any sign of this €1000 though!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cut sward isn't good enough if you haven't 2-3000gls slurry/acre out as well,

Advertisement