Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chaos at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

He is on Drivetime at the moment. Getting his ass kicked. He is all over the place and starting to lose his temper.

The holding pens outside won't be in place until they are needed whatever the hell that means.

Oh and 17 execs in the DAA earn over 250k a year and "well north of" 100 execs earn over 100k a year. While the staff doing the actual work are earning €14 an hour or just over minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Certain trashy media outlets like the indo (same category as the Daily Mail since new owners) love to exaggerate stuff like this.

They don't mention that the delays on Saturday were not excessive and no-one that turned up on time missed their flight. DAA have operations over there and he was travelling for work purposes.

And if I was in his shoes, doing a work flight on a Saturday, I'd take advantage of whatever services I could - as would everyone else!! I have frequent meeting in Coventry on Mondays - I fly on a Sunday and stay in the Ramada hotel and bill it to the company.

At least he did the decent thing and flew back immediately. Sort half arsed mentioned in the story as it got in the way of sensationalism

• Registered Users Posts: 23,739 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This lad shouldn't be let near an interview.

Blunders galore all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Another question is, why on earth are the DAA shopping for contracts to run airports in Saudi Arabia?

They are diverting their executives and expertise (for all its apparent worth) to Saudi, presumably for sweetheart pay arrangements.

They are a wholly state owned company charged with running critical state infrastructure to the benefit of the economy and citizenry. Time to stop pr*cking around in the Gulf and do their job at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Whoh, that's a whole other story. When the Scottish chap the DAA head of communications was on with Pat Kenny he made it seem like the 17 staff called in sick. Pat Kenny wondering were they out on the lash watching weekend sports and did not show up Sunday am

So the 17 staff missing is the fault of management and their roster.

The DAA lying to us all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

The DAA are a disgrace, the CEO Dalton Philips is a desk jockey not a hands on operational guy, give him the P45 and the rest of the DAA board are not much better either. A lot of the issues are historic and they buy x-ray equipment and walk way metal detectors over the years whereby the both companies are actually in competition with each other.

I worked at Dublin Airport when Aer Rianta used to manage the airport, once DAA took over it all went pear shaped, they drive down the cost and its all about cost cutting , a shambles of an organisation running an international airport into the gutter.

Get a new CEO DAA and sack the board also, an absolute disgrace and p1ss poor management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Dalton Philips was sacked from Morrisons in the UK , however our DAA overlords or gov Minister thought he would be a good candidate for CEO of the DAA, he is absolutely a failure on all levels, arrogant, crass, incompetent and has no idea on aviation management.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I read somewhere today that it will take another 18months to 2 years to get the new scanners operational in Dublin. You know, the scanners that do not require you to remove liquids and electronics from hand luggage. I wonder what forward planning, testing/procurement was being done during Covid so?

I know Shannon is not under DAA but it has them. Presumably fast tracked (!) for the US army passing through or something.

Anyway we can give out all day, but we do need quick results. Maybe convert one level of the covered car park nearest the walkway into a comfortable "holding pen" Jesus I'd say Lagos is better on a bad day.

A Senator today pointed out that 85 percent of passenger movements in and out of the country by air are through Dublin Airport. That's an absurd number and a huge single failure point for a country when things go wrong.

In computer networking, supply chains etc, a single failure point that can bring the whole thing down is seen as highly undesirable - but our aviation policy (and we're an island remember) is built on a single failure point.

Time to do something about our regional airports.

Shannon and Cork need to be furnished with daily flights to hubs like CDG / Schiphol / Heathrow as a matter of strategic priority. Incentivise the hell out of it. People will use them. I garuntee people from Galway, Cork or Limerick areas don't really want the hassle of using Dublin Airport, it's that the flights have been stacked there as the DAA want Dublin as a poor man's aviation hub like the aforementioned European airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

One of the things that people dont mention is the road network. We built an entire network of Motorways from the regional cities to connect to Dublin, but not to connect to each other.... traffic to Dublin airport boomed after the road network was completed and air traffic from Cork and Shannon airports never recovered.

They should make sure the M20 gets built and move along with the N24/N25 upgrades that can link Waterford to Cork and Shannon. This will make it easier for those on the Atlantic seaboard to get to airports they can use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes…guy has zero experience in the field of aviation, travel and transport … so he should never have seen his CV do anything other then find it’s way into a fûcking bin…absolute shower of circus performers whoever suggested him as an appropriate candidate… that’s incompetent beyond description … be akin to asking Tommy Tiernan to manage Real Madrid….

aviation is a niche industry…with multiple specific facets that are not replicated anywhere in any other industry… so the experience to match expectations can only be achieved by being of that industry… where as I experienced you are of that mindset…it literally takes years to acquire relevant knowledge.

what the DAA should have done was headhunted somebody from another airport in the EU..

with relevant knowledge, hands on expertise and experience…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Let's see if they follow your advice for the next incumbent. Any bets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭billyhead

The public also have to take some responsibility for these delays. The amount of people not prepared for security checks is an issue when there are signs posted around as to what to put into the clear plastic bag and not leave in the carry bag such as laptops, mobiles phones etc. This adds to the delay. I went through security at the airport 2 week's ago and had everything I needed put into the see through bag and separately to the carry on bag on the tray they provide you. I walked straight through with no issues and my bag didn't need to be checked. From my own observation there were a significant number of bags however that had to be checked because they set off the alarm/alert system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

So you're going to subsidise half empty flights from regional airports. The problem is those airports don't have the catchment to maintain the routes at the load factors the airlines need. If they did the routes would be there.

Example: Aer Lingus pulled one of their Heathrow spots from Shannon and handed it to Dublin Airport. That was a popular route and was always a full flight. It should never have been done - but alas, Aer Lingus was flogged to IAG who don't care for either regional connectivity or national strategy. It's just an extra red-eye flight into Heathrow they can bung on in Dublin Airport.

Cork has also been dying on the vine under DAA control, and it's deliberate. There's a million people in the counties Cork, Kerry, Waterford and South Tipp - Cork Airport's natural catchment area. It can most definately sustain more routes. There'd be a similar amount within an hour and a half's drive of Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Problem is Knock, Kerry, Waterford and others who will cry and whinge if we prioritise developing Cork and Shannon.

Stop with this nonsense. It was never an issue before that caused 5 hour delays and thousands to miss their flights.

Clearly the issue is staffing and the DAA and department of transport.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I will walk naked with no extra baggage to get through security in 5 minutes, I'm just saying if they want to create the option, there are no depths of indignity that I will not suffer to get through queues faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Reporting livvve from Dublin airport Terminal 2 :).

Not too bad.

320 arrive airport 350 check in bag drop 355 security queue done 430.

I will say the food places in T2 are bedlam with huge queues though.

Fast track looked to be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Seems 20 staff called in sick.

But if you think Dublin is bad, check Manchester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

You know who will love naked you? The airside shop that sells luggage 😆 as they’ll get to sell a carry on suitcase at last. They might even pack it for you as you run around the clothes shops buying clothes 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

When did approx 1400 miss flights in Manchester?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Just a few more than that….

”About 34,000 customers were told their June holidays out of Manchester had been axed, some in overnight emails.

"We understand that last minute cancellations are incredibly disappointing and we would like to reassure our customers that we are doing everything we can to get them on holiday as planned," it said.

Mr Thompson, who is on holiday with his wife and three children in Izmir, Turkey, said the family were told their Tui flight home had been cancelled after they had already got through passport control.”

And that’s just one flight operator

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

are you serious, who the feck cares about Manchester if they flying out from Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Think the point being made, is that it is not a problem unique to Dublin, it is being replicated throughout Europe.

You’re travelling this weekend, aren’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

yes I do and really cant see the point in mentioning or comparing Dublin to other airports in here, I see it just like asking to bend over and take it up to the b4lls just because others got issues too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

• Advertisement

Positive thoughts of sangrias by the pool. You’re gonna get there 🙂

Advertisement