Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP McManus Pro-Am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Sorry if this is off topic but how would someone be able to spot a fake cap for the pro am? I am hoping to buy from someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

How would you get your name on the list ? They have my name and details and I expect I will be asked for ID at the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

That’s a good point. Thanks for your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Any news on marshalls? I was originally selected as a marshall for the 2020 event but haven't heard a thing about this years event. Thought they might have gone with what they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭techdiver

Anyone know how many teams from the Grand Qualifier on the 17th and 18th get through?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,945 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

More additions - Speith, Fowler, Cantley

Some amateurs too - Kenny Dalglish, Matt Dawson, Jamie Dornan, Shane Filan, Alan Hansen, Niall Horan, Harry Redknapp, Jamie Redknapp, Mark Wahlberg

Final 100 tickets up for tender again. Min €250, dread to think what they actually go for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

The strength of field for the pro-am is stronger than 60%+ of the PGA tour events played last year.

If JP would have hooked up with the Irish Open and linked in the charity would we have seen anything close to this type of field? No chance. What’s the draw here? Appearance fees surely? Scottie Scheffler and Spieth would have absolutely zero affiliation to the big man so it has to be appearance money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have to say, that lineup is the stuff of dreams. Can’t believe how good it is

• Advertisement

Absolutely no way the likes of Scheffler and Spieth would be arriving if they weren’t getting money. They’ve no affiliation to JP or Ireland so there can’t be any other explanation for it.

This field is as strong as the 2002 American Express in Mt Juliet, imagine a return of an event such as that over 4 days to Ireland? We’re getting a sniff of it here but I don’t like the amateur element to it that’s why I’m not bothered going this year. For me, it doesn’t have the same appeal as a full blooded event where we’d see these big guys dialed in over 72 holes.

Fair play to JP and the organisers though, I hope they raise a shed load of cash for the charity and it will help raise the profile of golf in Ireland. It could also help the European Tour take their finger out of their arse when it comes to giving Ireland big events down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

How much of a fee could these guys be getting? If everyone is getting appearance money the ticket sales will hardly cover the cost of all that will it?

It will really show off Adare Manor also for the course it is and will probably drive the price of it up even further :( Its a shame he and the DP tour and JP didnt join up for the Irish open and double this up to make a super tournament.

The entry list is unreal, the only other place you will see all these pros play in Ireland in the near future is 2025 in Portrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,711 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

One of the main problems with the Pro Am is alot of teams buy their way in.

Going on previous Pro Ams the standard of amateur player is shockingly bad, literally half of the people have no business being there.

So you are making an assumption that they are getting paid appearance money as opposed to knowing that they do.

I’ve been reliably informed that there is no appearance money paid out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I believe the previous cost to enter a team was €100,000. I have no doubt that price has increased.

Can you offer an other logical explanation as to why Spieth and Scheffler to name but two high profile Americans are over for it? Spieth is hardly coming over to catch the first game of the club hurling championship now is he? There are charity events in the USA, not on this scale I wouldn’t think, so why is he choosing Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

And people that ‘qualify’ for it out-cheat each other

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

A part of me is annoyed at him getting all of these guys for the pro-am instead of the Irish Open. I'm wrong to feel that way, but being honest a part of me does.

Obviously in reality, the money going to charity is much better than into a players back pocket for winning the Irish Open and the fact that they're here for it makes it easier for them to play in the Irish Open if they were on the fence.

What's the event like anyway though? The fact that it's not a proper tournament in the sense that there's no world ranking points, I assume it's not being televised, etc - does that make it better or worse. I think I'd prefer to see them in a normal tournament, but we have several of those every week. Maybe this will be better even for the novelty of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

On this side I was wondering as well - I would expect in some cases it is purely personal relationships; but I wouldn't discount the relationships he's built up with agents & the like in the background, the likes of Spieth & Scheffler (just using your examples) would also be putting a lot of trust in their teams/agents in deciding on things like this.

Also I think maybe sometimes doing charitable events away from home can be easier as you're not "choosing one local charity over another" - it was just fitted in around trip to the Open???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭OEP

This I think. They're on their way to the Scottish Open anyway. JP clearly has a lot of sway in golf, Adare is also going to host the Ryder cup so a chance for them to have a look at it. All of the other big names there is obviously a draw too - and it's all for charity. Them and their families will be given every luxury imaginable too I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Are they really going to ask for ID? I dont see anything on their website, saying to bring ID to match to the booking.

I have a cap and was planning to go one day only and give my cap to a friend for the 2nd day.

This is what they say in their terms and conditions :

"To prevent fraud and protect Tournament Host, we reserve the right to carry out checks and/or request that additional information be provided in order to verify purchases."

I have just emailed them for clarification and will let you know if they reply. I would be very surprised if they allow people walk in on the basis of wearing a cap without asking for ID in terms of security, but lets see as I am thinking of doing the same as you on day two.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

From anything I’ve ever read or heard I don’t believe there is appearance money but the whole thing is indeed down to personal relationships, contacts and the esteem in which JP is held. Especially important of course is his friendship with Woods which raised to thing to a higher level and started the momentum. No doubt Tiger helps to sway a few others. What a field, can’t wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,711 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I recall the last time I was there I drove straight into the car park and just walked onto the course, nobody asked me for anything, we did have the caps though.

I think parking was free then, its 30 euro per day to park next month. Saucy

There is a park and ride from Limerick Racecourse which is free though.

It is saucy, but still dead jealous, would love to be going, enjoy it if you're going this year again!

I emailed them my question about the need for ID if I gave my caps to someone else and they replied :

"All they need are the caps to gain entry.

Best regards,

The Pro-Am Team"

So anyone with a cap gets in, issue resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Hi there, considering the tweet yesterday, is it likely at this stage that Tiger will pull out?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I thought I read/heard he's still playing the ProAm

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Doubt it. The US Open whatever about his fitness won't suit him in terms of course compared to St Andrews. He will deffo be at St Andrews and by consequence will be in Adare the week beforehand and the spend some time getting links ready in Ireland I would guess.

Advertisement