Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's a shocking story. It would appear a lot of people profited off this final. Shocking to think that security guards at gates at looking for cash to let you in.

It's time the idea of paper tickets was done away with.

It would help in this entire touting debacle we have at big football matches too.

Should be digital, sent to your mobile. I'm sure with modern technology there is some better way that a cheap looking, easily faked paper ticket for one of the world's top sporting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

You’d wonder about who and where are the lies coming from now.

Won’t someone think of the corporate clients. LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

I was at the 2004 final in Gelsenkirchen and the ticket was a chip and pin card that you had to load with credit to purchase food and drink inside as they didn't take cash. Mad to think 18 years later paper tickets are still being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

According to the “authority” that is Mr Henry Winter, the French are saying Liverpool requested paper tickets. Are we to believe that only the French tell lies?

A lot of politics and nonsense behind this story, when all is said and done in that scenario I know who’s side I’m on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its probably down to the system being used by the stadium.

In my experience the paper ticket or phone ticket is the norm. Definitely still paper in any UK or Irish stadium I was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

An embarrassment for France and worryingly for UEFA that’s 2 finals within 12 months with shambolic organisation.

Absolutely there are mitigating circumstances, they accepted the final on incredibly short notice. But to create a fake ticketing issue while blaming one set of fans is really shocking.

It sounds like UEFA were happy to accept the French Police version of events until they’ve seen the accounts of both sets of fans, the English and French media, the sponsors, ex players and current players.

The investigation sounds a bit CYA - with that type of sh*tshow it should be mandatory instead of just blaming fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What was the story with all Liverpool fans on the stairways and not in their seats? Were they put into the wrong sections or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

We live in a very different World now where cover ups by the police and authorities, with a willing media, ala Post Hillsborough, are much more difficult. The George Floyd murder would’ve never lead to a conviction 30 years ago as there would’ve been no footage. Loads of incriminating footage for the police and uefa from Saturday night which will be far more difficult to bury.

• Advertisement

The French will get over it.

Will we ever see the end of Brexit though? Was listening to a David McWilliams podcast the other week, he had a guest on that said the particular Tory government in power now are in power because of Brexit. In other words they don’t want it (the phenomenon that is Brexit) to end. There is a popularity in England for the bickering and arguing with the Europeans and Boris Johnson is giving them what they want. This CL Final in Paris is turning into an extension of that carry on.

I know this might be perceived as going off topic a bit but I digress. Back in the 1960’s De Gaulle vetoed against Britain joining the EU. He said they would only cause hassle. He wasn’t wrong was he.

This event was poorly handled after Paris was given the event at short notice. Paris host events like this all the time and usually to perfection. Everything else is a lot of hot air connected to the B word.

Fans, media and players me arsse. The accounts of the sponsors is all that matters.

As soon as the posh lads in suits said they had problems it suddenly get believed.

The French not wanting to be at fault and blaming the issue on the English is predictable, but UEFA taking the French at their word and blaming one side is what’s shocking. They’re the administrators of the event and it should be up to them to determine how it went so badly.

It was poorly handled, short notice and a strike in a station on the side of the stadium to be used by Liverpool fans meant a lot of entrances were closed, which made things more difficult for the French police and gave more opportunity to people without tickets to get in. This strike was known about and they decided to try and heard the fans around like cattle with pepper spray. A complete organisational disaster that’s been corroborated across the board, and should have given reason for UEFA to challenge the French version of events.

UEFA have had their last 2 showpiece events marred by similar scenes, eventually that’s going to hurt their pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think that this is turning into another argument between the English and the French and when it comes to politics UEFA may tend to side with the French, right or wrong. In this case it may be wrong but in the current political environment it's perfectly understandable.

They reprimanded the English for their poor handling of the Euro Final last year. The English really aren't in a position to be casting stones, right or wrong.

• Advertisement

No. I just asked which side you are on.

There's a lot of underhand comments being thrown around this thread so clearing it up first time would have been nice.

What underhand comments are you referring to and what do you mean by “underhand” exactly?

I’m saying quite clearly, not beating about the bush, from my perspective this has turned into a political argument and it’s fairly obvious what side I’m on when it comes to the larger political issue.

Clearly are beating about the bush, again. Dodging the simple question.

All your comments are centred around the French stadiums never having troubles before, so it looks like you are blaming the fans for what happened and believing the concocted stories by the French officials.

Anyone with any interest in football can only be one side here - the football supporters, journalists, politicians and corporate guests who went to a football game and were subjected to treatment you wouldn’t hand out to animals on the way in and on the way out of the ground. It could have been any of us, and was indeed the experience of some posters on here. Uefa and the French police were responsible for that treatment.

It was easy blame "scumbag" fans. Problem was instead of piling on the "respectable" fans backed up the other fans story and now they are caught rotten because there can be no Hillsborough style victim blaming.

• Advertisement

You don't like what I'm saying so you're now making up stuff that I never said at all. I am not blaming the fans and I'm not dodging anything. It was poorly managed by the French authorities after they were given the event at short notice because of Putin. The blame for the chaos and long queues etc. lies squarely with the French authorities but they're not going to take kindly to criticism from the English in the current environment. UEFA at first appeared to be backing up what the French authorities were saying but there now is an Independent review. My feeling is they are more likely to side with the French if it (and it has) turns into a bickering match between France and England. Which side are you on, in the larger argument I mean?

You keep bringing up this “side” bs just because you have brought it to a level of England v France. Most of us are on the side of the unfortunate patrons going to and from the game, doesn’t matter whether they were English, Spanish, French, Irish or wherever. Why are you trying to get people to take the side of England or France just because you are? It’s a ridiculous angle.

I'm not blaming the fans in this instance at all. It was poorly managed after the event was handed to them at short notice. I'm talking about the politics behind the ensuing argument.

Another point; there are posters here labelling Paris " a kip" and Paris should never host an event like this again etc.. Paris is a great city and host's events like this all the time usually to perfection, just because they got this one wrong doesn't change that.

I mean, they key difference between both is that France are baselessly blaming the English for it. After the Euro final nobody was attempting to blame the Italians, and there was absolutely recognised shortcomings that day - so it’s disappointing that France couldn’t admit the same here. And I’d expect nothing less from any set of fans accused of causing it to defend themselves - letting comments like this go would end up giving them an undeserved reputation at future tournaments.

Yes the French are trying to protect their jobs and positions. English soccer fans do have a reputation that proceeds them, so I suppose they’re using that previous reputation to deflect criticism and blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Oh yes, blame Klopp for telling supporters to travel over to Paris without tickets and attend the fan zones set up by UEFA, specifically for Liverpool fans without tickets.

I’ve been to Paris a few times already (wasn’t over for this game, however), really like the city, but not a chance I’ll bother going back again when you see the disdain they have for English speaking tourists. This clearly isn’t a once off either, no matter how they want to paint it.

Clowns of the highest order, and I hope actual circus clowns don’t take offence to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The rhetoric from the French side is just crazy, throwing out scenarios and explanations before any sort of official review.

First it was "fans arrived too late to the stadium causing a delay". This is very false.

Then here is what the Minister for sport said after the game blaming violence from one nationality of fans of one team:

"Bravo realmadrid

for this 14th title in #LigueDesChampions ! The attempts of intrusion and fraud by thousands of English fans have complicated the work of stewards and police forces but will not tarnish this victory. Violence has no place in the stadiums." https://twitter.com/AOC1978/status/1530687125498351616

Then it became a farcical figure of "industrial level fraud" of 30,000 - 40,000 fans turning up at the stadium with fake or no tickets. Again, easily disproven and false.

Now it's blaming Jurgen Klopp for saying fans should come without a ticket even though the authorities were fine with that and laid on a fanzone with 3 massive screens for them to watch the game on.

It seems like they are trying to claim that the 30,000 - 40,000 fans who watched at the fanzone and pubs all came to the stadium and caused the delays.

No mention of why Police vans were parked to create a pinch point under a bridge.

Why ticket checks didn't work or stopped being done at that point.

Why all the gates were shut.

Why and how local youths in droves were allowed past the perimeter and near the turnstiles.

Why tear gas was deployed indiscriminately on the waiting fans posing no threat on the other side of a fence.

Why people with genuine tickets were told the were fake, including relatives and friends of players and club officials, journalists and corporate guests.

Why the ticket scanners didn't work scanning as red multiple times before scanning green.

Why some stewards asked for a bribe to get entry from genuine ticket holders.

Why people were waved in without a ticket check.

Why the Madrid end didn't have the same pinch point set up.

Why journalists were prevented filming.

Why a message was displayed in the stadium saying that fans arrived to the stadium late.

Why journalists were told to remove accreditation and would be denied entry if they didn't delete video footage.

Why riot police were deployed to the Liverpool end and not the Madrid end at the final whistle.

Why people were kept in the stadium by the police even after the final whistle if they were supposedly 70% with fake tickets.

Where all the fake tickets are now if there's tens of thousands of them.

Why police refused to protect supporters around the stadium from assaults and robberies on the way back to the metro.

Why there was no clear signage or direction given before or after the game.

Why there was no planning for a scenario where locals would try to get in for free, as in why was anyone allowed to get to the turnstiles without a ticket - if they weren't going to check tickets at the perimeter then what was the point in kettling fans and going through a single file pinch point?

Why the fanzone entry had a pinch point - should have seen it in hindsight that if they pinched entry with police vans to the fanzone creating a crush near the front of a 'queue' that took up to an hour to get through that they could do the same at the stadium - very dangerous

Who was in the fanzone if 30,000-40,000 Liverpool fans were at the stadium with no tickets or fake tickets in addition to the 20,000 with genuine tickets from the club and the 10,000+ with neutral tickets from UEFA

Why was teargas deployed at the fanzone after the final whistle instead of announcements asking to leave

Why was Jurgen Klopp wrong to say fans should come to the City if they were planning a massive fanzone to show the game live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

You would think there would be some level of chill within the French authorities at this stage and say noting until the facts become clear. They have publicly announced and changed their mind on the issue at least 5 times now. First it was drunk fans arriving late, then it was changed to ticket fraud like something the world has never seen, then it was changed to Liverpool not having has transport facilities to take fans from A to B (not sure why that would be on Liverpool to be honest anyway), now its Klopp’s fault.  

When did something like this happen in Paris before?

• Advertisement

If it's not a "once off" thing when else did it happen.

Also in my experience this arrogant tourist hating French thing is just a myth dreamed up by obnoxious Americans to make themselves feel better. I've always been treated great over there along with my English traveling companions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just look at the French league over the last couple of seasons the heavy handedness of the French police towards fans and the use of tear gas and pepper spray for the slightest of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

When else did corrupt, heavy-handed and brutal policing happen in Paris before?

Literally every day? 🤨🤦‍♂️

I didn’t think you were serious there for a second until another poster decided to follow your lead. The internet will answer your question a lot better than I could anyway.

There was an independent journalist based in France on rte radio this morning- he said tear gas has become the default and first response to any public gathering in Paris. Said it happens every weekend at some protest or other.

Sorry but the problem in French football is an actual hooligan problem and nothing like what happened on Saturday.

I was thinking in the context of major Cup finals because the poster quoted (like a few others) was saying "he'll never go to Paris again after this etc. etc.". I don't recall problems of this nature at big sporting events held in Paris like World Cups or Euros.

Are you talking about domestic French football? Maybe the cops are heavy handed, they are dealing with some serious hooliganism though. Did you see what happened at St Etienne the other night.

Maybe you're talking about general civil unrest, with protests etc.? There's a lot of unrest in France right now due to issues like immigration. The fascist Marine Le Pen got about 40% of the vote. That's still a minority to be fair, unlike in Britain where the majority voted for the jingoistic stupidity of Brexit and then doubled down on it by electing the populist chancer Johnson.

I suppose it shows that French police will bring out the pepper spray and tear gas regardless of provocation, which could be an issue for future events.

They were probably expecting trouble when things went awry due to poor organistation. The Liverpool fans to be fair didn't misbehave on this occasion.

Ah here we have the tucker carlson/sean hannity of boards im just asking the question without actually looking up the facts for myself

• Advertisement

What ya on about. It was clear as daylight on the TV. No conspiracy like. Just asking question.

Cant give a answer is it? You don't like it that's your problem

I think a lot of this will come out in the investigation. There's anecdotal evidence of french locals taking seats after presumably getting in with no ticket and also of Liverpool fans who had their ticket snatched at the turnstile and then waved in by the steward to then presumably not know where their seat was because they no longer had the physical ticket.

Just speculation but those are 2 things reported that would explain that situation though don't recall seeing that on tv myself.

Would absolutely not surprise me if they were put in the wrong section too - organisation was a complete shambles.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say I wouldn't go to a game in Paris after that. Even though it's a different stadium I wouldn't go to PSG away if I had a ticket and we drew them say next year. Same police force. Can't see why you'd want to go there.

Ah well if that is case Jesus was total shambles. I did see youths trying break in and in fairness seen some Liverpool fans fighting them back (100% with them on that **** that crap).

It's sad to see ordinary good fans lose out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Are UEFA scimping on how much they are paying for policing/stewarding/organisation at these events? For other games I believe it's on the hosting clubs for all of the previous rounds to pay for it and FA's to foot the bill for general (pre tournament) group games for international games but I assume UEFA are paying for it for finals and their own international events. The last few UEFA events have been a disaster.

Euro's last year, semi finals and finals, unable to control crowds rushing the stadium due to allowing ticketless people to get right up to the final gates.

The EL final was apparently a disaster too, similar things happening to fans, being funneled into riot police and police on horse back. Taking hours for fans to get in, no direction given on the ground, the stadium ran out of water when it was above 30°C.

Now the CL final where it seems there was a lack of information on the ground, lack of stewards, both sets of fans being directed into locked gates, no ticket checking on the approach to the ground so any ticketless people where allowed get right up to the final turnstile. The scanners apparently not working and refusing legit tickets.

Certainly they did last week and people deserve to know why and that it won't happen again before any more events in Paris. Currently i'de say they are on the soccer blacklist along with Wembley.

The French authorities will be mad to sweep this under the carpet though with the Paris Olympics coming up in a few summers.

More likely covid related rather than skimping on wages. Hospitality and event management are screwed right now for staff and even when they do have staff there has been a massive experience drain to other vocations during Covid. It essentially became the Dublin airport of soccer stadiums.

By the sounds of it the stewards in Paris were barely trained and barely vetted.

• Advertisement

This is pretty horrific to watch, and kids getting caught up a crush. Stewards taking tickets out of the hands of fans, but no entry given.

Live Senate hearings here on the Champions League Final

Well the French Government are following the well trodden path of other Governments around the world of just straight out lying about everything and calling the actual truth "Fake News"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

According to official numbers, the exact number of fake tickets intercepted by stewards manning the entrance gates was 2,589.

That figure is almost three times the usual number of forgeries at the Champions League final, but significantly lower than the figure used by Darmanin, who had as of Wednesday not provided details of the source of his estimate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement