Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

theres nothing straight forward in regards mental health issues, this is actually one of the main failings in society, thinking theyre are so, i know a family now currently dealing with serious mental health issues, the rule book gets thrown out the window, logic no longer exists, and we simply dont have the health system required to appropriately deal with these issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

For any of you that have not tried it before I would recommend Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). It has really helped me a lot and I use it now to get over anxiety and depression amongst other things too, Don't be hard on yourself either, many people are in the same boat so you are not alone .

Could anybody here who takes Prozac send me a message? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Louise A. Garcia

You are right! I tried cognitive behaviour therapy three years ago. I could see reasonable changes in my behaviour. My therapist was a nice person, and I was able to share my worries and fears with him. He talked to me like a friend or someone who knew me well. I am so happy now, and he helped me change a lot. People who suffer from anxiety can try this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Been a while.

My mother was released from the hospital about 3 or 4 days after being signed in. She genuinely had a horrible time. Was kept in for superfluous reasons. A doctor came along, and apologised, when she signed herself out. The treatment she got was way below standards.

Since then, things have been... topsy turvy, so to speak.

I had therapy last week. I felt like I was more open, able to discuss things more easily. But my sleep got more erratic since then.

I've had one or two days where I've stayed up for 24 hours straight, and then slept for another 24 hours. Visited family, to try and get out of the house.

And then, on the way back, I stopped in to get some food. I saw a family member, who didn't stop to chat. Tbqh, they suffer with mental health problems, and come from a family where that kind of thing 'wasn't discussed'. A different time, a different era (Also much older than me. There was an almost 30 year age gape between the eldest sibling, and youngest sibling in my dad's side of the family). They've also dealing with a bereavement, and it's clearly upset their mental health even more. Whatever it was about seeing them, it lingered with me. So much so, it led to a panic attack Friday. Have not had one of those for weeks. Was doing pretty well keeping them at bay.

Just... need things to slow down. There's been so much to deal with. Was asked to help out on a small task an hour or two ago, and I just wasn't able to. Slept for most of yesterday (until 10 am this morning). Just feel drained too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, too many things build up and just get on top of you and you crash. It's your body telling you to slow down

I think everyone expects everything instantly all the time. It's too much.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

I decided to go to bed early, yesterday. My energy was just gone. Hit the hay around 8.30pm. Skipped dinner, because I just had no appetite or energy.

Had a sort of 'restless' sleep- but was better having that than staying awake and overdosing on coffee. Being irritable to everyone and everything.

i eventually found a sleep routine that works very well for me, even though its becoming disrupted again, computer gets switched off at 7, i need to be alone for the remainder of the evening, into bed(not suppose to be doing so), watching old movies and tv shows until 9 or so(also not suppose to be doing so), off to noddy land by about 9.30 or so, happy days

In case anyone needs reminding, myself included, coffee wrecks your sleep and makes you even more anxious and stressed.

gave up drinking caffeinated tea years ago, largely due to caffeine induced anxiety, and the fact i was fed up with it, and moved to herbals. was warned of my coke intake though, and its caffeine content, i always try to drink it earlier in the day, and avoid it later in the day, but of course i drop the ball from time to time, it definitely disrupts my sleep

• Advertisement

Still drink loads of tea. It relaxes me, and helps me work, but I do think it affects my sleep, but not anything like coffee does. Coffee means I stay awake. Tea means lighter, less deeper sleep.

Might wean myself off tea and all caffine over the summer if I can for a month or so, just to see what happens.

have you ever tried the decaf stuff, or herbals, love the herbals myself?

Yes ... But always get back to tea and then a coffee binge.

For June, no coffee at least for me. Decaff or skip it.

ah shur i have a sugar addiction myself, i ll go to the grave with it, and yes, it badly effects my sleep and mood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Anxiety, whether it's a low grade, just under-the-surface continual nagging or sheer situational panic --- does it ever go away? ...I wonder.

You sort of, I won't say get 'immune' to it, but you learn to accept it-like that one person who annoys the crap out of you, but you can tolerate them most days.. Sometimes it means standing still, trying to catch your breath. Other times it means having to tell people 'I'm not feeling 100 percent today'.

And other times, it means a spell in bed-just not able to face the world. (Honestly, I posted the Michael Phelps article because it reminded me of my similar situation. Minus the Gold medals. And the millions in the bank).

For me, the biggest thing was acceptance. Mental illness, in many respects, can be like an invisible bully. If you try and confront it, you give it strength. If you try and understand it, you weaken it. It's more when you don't understand it, that it takes hold.

It's no wonder Mental illness can push people to the limits- for many, they don't know what it is.

Thanks for your persepctive, Rabble :) ...an invisible bully is a perfect way to describe it.

...Guess i doesn't help to live in a stressful environment. :/

Post edited by Deja Boo on

Lovely explanation above @RabbleRouser2k

Taking a summer break from boards.ie Spending too much time on here and not dealing with my issues.

Hope people on this thread find some genuine relief and solace from their troubles.

Keep going folks and be kind to yourself. ❤️

• Advertisement

Was watching the news today, and there was discussion about 'Long Covid'. I had the virus back in 2020, and much of what they discussed I've had. And many of the symptoms I'm still dealing with.

It was a very interesting report. Probably available online on youtube or the rte player, for anyone who may be concerned they may have long covid also.

yea i suspect the psychological fallout of covid is gonna get pretty serious, but will we appropriately react to them, by appropriately funding our health system in dealing with them!

I used to hate the glenroes, until it got replaced with sheer panic of the upcoming week. I would take the glenroes over this any day.

As a kid, I never slept Sunday nights. Would just lie there, with insomnia, and 'maybe' get 2 hours sleep. I think when I hit my late teens, I managed to sleep a lot better. Not fully right, but not '2 hours of sleep' bad.

It was always frustrating, the following day, to be tired and 'out of it'. Probably undiagnosed mental health issues very early on.

These days, I know what will help knock me out, so I get a decent sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hi Guys,

Recently been suffering with bad anxiety after years of ''freedom''.

I've been desperate for a place to read and share with likeminded people.

All this time I had forgotten about this thread.

Delighted I found it again.

Thanks for sharing this, I better try switching to decaf then ween myself off entirely.

Could anybody here who takes antidepressants and/or antipsychotics send me a pm?

Would really like to get peoples experiences with them.

This feels like spam. This same question has been asked quite a bit in the same thread.

• Advertisement

I can assure you it's not.

I'd like to get some feedback from people who have taken them and not just what doctors or pharmacists have told me.

Advertisement