Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,083 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

thank you, unfortunately i dont want to share much online for the moment, but it maybe needed soon for someone i know, im not related to them, im just trying to figure out their options, theyre stumped, as i am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The hse website has sections about 'involuntary admission' which might be of help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My anxiety is killing me today. Like a bad hangover.

This is an absolutely beautiful poem, and just gets more and more relevant and powerful.

Energy been sapped the last few days. It's been the 2 month anniversary of everything pretty much going to hell in a handbasket.

Can't really discuss it with close family, because it's hitting them too. And I understand it. Genuinely do. Some have had a double whammy of death.

Last 7 days, I spent two in bed. Just....couldn't see anyone. A really odd feeling, but just got up to use the bathroom, and found myself needing to go back to bed. I don't like those 'long stays' in bed. Genuinely don't. It messes up my energy and rhythms. I feel 'on edge' the following day, and then it takes another day or two to feel somewhat in the same rhythm.

It's still raw.

• Advertisement

If my sleep gets affected then my anxiety ramps up. Coffee, alcohol, late nights, internet, lack of exercise all do this. Also, unresolved problems hit sleep quality hard.

I can understand why people choose to become monks !

my own sleep is starting to become very broken, its very difficult to function well without it....

Wrecked tired today. Can't focus on anything. The house is in a heap and a ton of things to do, fix in it. On a very short fuse.

Got out of the house and got a coffee and a GoldenCrisp. 😁 Feel a bit more alive now. Have some tax crap to do. Going to do it tonight and get it out of the way and not have it hanging over me anymore!

• Advertisement

Yes, lovely, but especially nice when you haven't had one in ages.

There's an interesting article here about Michael Phelps, he Olympian who won 28 Olympic medals in a professional swimming career, before his retirement in 2016.

He suffers from depression and anxiety, some days he may not be able to get out of bed. It's a really interesting, and somewhat insightful. Like, this guy essentially has had 'it all'... yet still gets troubled by mental anguish.

Thought it might be of interest to people in this thread.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1329860/michael-phelps-credits-wife-nicole-johnson-with-helping-him-through-anxiety-and-depression-struggles

Just feel overwhelmed at weekends. Work is easy in comparison. Go in, do your job, go home. Home and weekend is just problems after problems and trying to get **** done.

In bits today, like a hangover. Have a family religious event coming up on Saturday and absolutely dreading it.

That's on top of all the other stuff.

fcuk i hate those type of events, especially when im not doing well.

sadly a friend is doing very badly at the moment, they refused to be taken into care during the week, but at least theyve accepted out patient help, hopefully this is a major turning point in their life, they really need it, a lifetime of pain

Life can be so hard for people. I hope they get some peace.

i hope so to, it has been extremely upsetting to watch them and their close loved ones suffer, an incredible feeling of helplessness, but it wont be an easy journey, or quick

Oof, friday the 13th strikes again. My mum went into hospital for a minor procedure on her eye, and then the hospital say she has an irregular heartbeat, they can't do the procedure, and she has to stay overnight (at least one night, anyways). She is ticked off over it. (She had a procedure on her other eye, no problem, only 2 months ago.) Hospital said her heart rate was back to normal before she was left in the hospital, but they've given her medication to see if that helps.

It's odd-she went to the doctor two weeks ago for tests prior to this, and it all seemed fine (Just to make sure there were no underlying issues). She sometimes gets this odd heartbeat, and it only really springs up when she's been fussy and getting into a conniption if she has to make an appointment at a scheduled time. And Sure enough, she had to make this appointment at a certain time. Thinking that the stress of making the appointment on time, as well as making sure she had the correct stuff ready maybe triggered it. 

She's had this happen before (before the whole Covid lockdown situation), but the doctor's called her back for another round of tests two or three weeks later. It was all fine. Similar situation, got herself stressed about making the time of her appointment (she had the wrong time in her head, she was actually early rather than late to the appointment. But when they ran tests, she was stressing out-so they spotted something wrong).

Anyways, needed to vent this. Asking for positive vibes if at all possible, please.

Feeling completely burnt out today. Weekend was family religious shenanigans. At least that's over. It really was exhausting. Have a head cold now. Work, Monday, Hamster wheel time.

Family events are always rough, I find. I can't speak for everyone, but for me-it's people being judgemental. It puts me 'on edge', really anxious.

I hope it's just a head cold, and nothing worse. Had a family funeral a few months ago, and a few people came back from it with Covid. Wasn't too awful, but mainly got stomach issues and a bad head-cold like symptoms (they'd had all their shots) . Covid tests came back positive. But they're fine now.

• Advertisement

Family religious events are super extra judgemental, fake, expensive and exhausting. Some people are great at playing the game. I'm not.

It's a regular cold, did an antigen test. Had covid and vaccines so I don't care so much, but it's a pain in the ass when it spreads through the house.

Yep, just like that. Fake, judgmental... I tend to avoid the cost thing. If they want money from me, they'll have a long wait. Know a few who just couldn't get enough money, no matter how much they were paid.

I've always hated being 'patient 0' when it comes to viruses. As a kid, I hated being sick. Especially when I was careful nobody would get sick. But they always did. And my parents worked jobs that meant they couldn't take a day off, so if they got sick, you'd be hearing about it for a week or two afterwards. Still have this weird hypochondria about it.

a similar story to myself, i only become aware of the term anxiety in my 20's also, i guess thats where my journey truly started...

Yep, it's a killer. I think it's saved my bacon a few times, but it's a curse. I've many reasons to be anxious, but when I'm holding my breath when opening a cardboard milk carton, then I know I've a serious problem. Not sure when this got so bad, think definitely in the last 5 years.

(Edit)

And yes, it need to be something people are educated about and learn how to spot and reduce it rather than letting it grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I've depression over 20 years. I find the constant tiredness is the worst symptom, most of the time. But my anxiety has really spiked the last few years, and it for me is far harder to manage than depression. I constantly second guess and doubt myself. I take offence to everything, I have alienated most of my friends, if they let me down or are not as loyal as I am. It is really affecting my work, as I have serious imposter syndrome. I messed up a few interviews, cause I don't think I'm good enough, even though I have more experience than a lot of my colleagues. I go over conversations and situations and over analyse them. It is exhausting.

I am walking a lot and taking cold showers to try to reset myself. It is just a constant battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

That's the way to do it, don't dwell on what's in front of you just deal with it, from reading the earlier threads here that seems to he the common fiture, people just not willing to face up to things, get an early start to the day, get up out of bed, face the day and get you jobs or job done

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Just getting a bit off my mind here.. Things have not been so good.. My partner is suffering badly with her mental health, my own is not brilliant either.. We will push through, that's how it works but it's been a bit dark and lonely lately.. Normal everyday problems are getting magnified now which is making the whole 'take things day by day or hour by hour' that much harder..

• Advertisement

Ah, there are a lot of varied reasons, why things are very difficult for people. Mental, physical, family, sexual, addictions, finances, .. combinations of these. And there may be no easy solution.

So, facing up to things can be incredibly hard or even impossible. Or maybe possible with lots of professional help long term, which is very expensive.

My comment was something I said lightly that day, and in no way intended to dismiss other people's situation. Coffee and chocolate is definitely a short term fix.

Really, I am using this forum as a way of offload stuff, when I feel overwhelmed, and I think that has great value.

theres nothing straight forward in regards mental health issues, this is actually one of the main failings in society, thinking theyre are so, i know a family now currently dealing with serious mental health issues, the rule book gets thrown out the window, logic no longer exists, and we simply dont have the health system required to appropriately deal with these issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

For any of you that have not tried it before I would recommend Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). It has really helped me a lot and I use it now to get over anxiety and depression amongst other things too, Don't be hard on yourself either, many people are in the same boat so you are not alone .

Could anybody here who takes Prozac send me a message? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Louise A. Garcia

You are right! I tried cognitive behaviour therapy three years ago. I could see reasonable changes in my behaviour. My therapist was a nice person, and I was able to share my worries and fears with him. He talked to me like a friend or someone who knew me well. I am so happy now, and he helped me change a lot. People who suffer from anxiety can try this.

Been a while.

My mother was released from the hospital about 3 or 4 days after being signed in. She genuinely had a horrible time. Was kept in for superfluous reasons. A doctor came along, and apologised, when she signed herself out. The treatment she got was way below standards.

Since then, things have been... topsy turvy, so to speak.

I had therapy last week. I felt like I was more open, able to discuss things more easily. But my sleep got more erratic since then.

I've had one or two days where I've stayed up for 24 hours straight, and then slept for another 24 hours. Visited family, to try and get out of the house.

And then, on the way back, I stopped in to get some food. I saw a family member, who didn't stop to chat. Tbqh, they suffer with mental health problems, and come from a family where that kind of thing 'wasn't discussed'. A different time, a different era (Also much older than me. There was an almost 30 year age gape between the eldest sibling, and youngest sibling in my dad's side of the family). They've also dealing with a bereavement, and it's clearly upset their mental health even more. Whatever it was about seeing them, it lingered with me. So much so, it led to a panic attack Friday. Have not had one of those for weeks. Was doing pretty well keeping them at bay.

Just... need things to slow down. There's been so much to deal with. Was asked to help out on a small task an hour or two ago, and I just wasn't able to. Slept for most of yesterday (until 10 am this morning). Just feel drained too often.

• Advertisement

Yep, too many things build up and just get on top of you and you crash. It's your body telling you to slow down

I think everyone expects everything instantly all the time. It's too much.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

I decided to go to bed early, yesterday. My energy was just gone. Hit the hay around 8.30pm. Skipped dinner, because I just had no appetite or energy.

Had a sort of 'restless' sleep- but was better having that than staying awake and overdosing on coffee. Being irritable to everyone and everything.

i eventually found a sleep routine that works very well for me, even though its becoming disrupted again, computer gets switched off at 7, i need to be alone for the remainder of the evening, into bed(not suppose to be doing so), watching old movies and tv shows until 9 or so(also not suppose to be doing so), off to noddy land by about 9.30 or so, happy days

In case anyone needs reminding, myself included, coffee wrecks your sleep and makes you even more anxious and stressed.

gave up drinking caffeinated tea years ago, largely due to caffeine induced anxiety, and the fact i was fed up with it, and moved to herbals. was warned of my coke intake though, and its caffeine content, i always try to drink it earlier in the day, and avoid it later in the day, but of course i drop the ball from time to time, it definitely disrupts my sleep

• Advertisement

Still drink loads of tea. It relaxes me, and helps me work, but I do think it affects my sleep, but not anything like coffee does. Coffee means I stay awake. Tea means lighter, less deeper sleep.

Might wean myself off tea and all caffine over the summer if I can for a month or so, just to see what happens.

have you ever tried the decaf stuff, or herbals, love the herbals myself?

Yes ... But always get back to tea and then a coffee binge.

For June, no coffee at least for me. Decaff or skip it.

ah shur i have a sugar addiction myself, i ll go to the grave with it, and yes, it badly effects my sleep and mood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Anxiety, whether it's a low grade, just under-the-surface continual nagging or sheer situational panic --- does it ever go away? ...I wonder.

You sort of, I won't say get 'immune' to it, but you learn to accept it-like that one person who annoys the crap out of you, but you can tolerate them most days.. Sometimes it means standing still, trying to catch your breath. Other times it means having to tell people 'I'm not feeling 100 percent today'.

And other times, it means a spell in bed-just not able to face the world. (Honestly, I posted the Michael Phelps article because it reminded me of my similar situation. Minus the Gold medals. And the millions in the bank).

For me, the biggest thing was acceptance. Mental illness, in many respects, can be like an invisible bully. If you try and confront it, you give it strength. If you try and understand it, you weaken it. It's more when you don't understand it, that it takes hold.

It's no wonder Mental illness can push people to the limits- for many, they don't know what it is.

Thanks for your persepctive, Rabble :) ...an invisible bully is a perfect way to describe it.

...Guess i doesn't help to live in a stressful environment. :/

Post edited by Deja Boo on

Lovely explanation above @RabbleRouser2k

Taking a summer break from boards.ie Spending too much time on here and not dealing with my issues.

Hope people on this thread find some genuine relief and solace from their troubles.

Keep going folks and be kind to yourself. ❤️

• Advertisement
Advertisement