Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

You absolutely 100% want people with good tour experience available when a squad is away for weeks.

Just being in a bubble that long can be hard work, it's not just about what goes on on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If someone told me in 2019, after we'd been humiliated by NZ in the quarter final, that Healy, POM, Murray, Sexton and Earls would all still be in the squad come the next world cup, I'd have laughed my ass off.

But it looks like that's exactly where we're headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

he has one, came off the bench against italy before the last world cup, dont think hes played since though

i think people are forgetting how well earls has been playing recently and doesnt look like slowing down anytime soon either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'm certainly not forgetting how good he is.

I'm also not forgetting that he'll be 36 at the World Cup and this is a summer tour. And we have other good wingers who are 10 years younger.

• Advertisement

if hes playing well age doesnt matter. if he were slowing down it would be a different story but somehow he doesnt look like hes losing any pace so his age is a moot point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Has Earls ever stood out against New Zealand? Hosea Gear smashing over him is what I think about when I think of him playing the All Blacks.

For whatever reason Farrell seems a bit cool on Baloucoune though. Does he think he stays out on his wing too much?

I know which of the two I'd select...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Who cares if we win a test in N.Z? Really, the prize hast to be the 6nations and the world cup. Leave the old timers at home!

Schmidt won a match in S.A! He also won a series in Oz! He also looked clueless at the last world cup. Fat load of good those victories did in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I want to see them win in New Zealand. It's payback time for all the losses down through the years. Select the best players available, whether they're 18 or 38. The only exceptions might be in filling out the squad with the players who aren't likely to see a huge amount of gametime. You might select a Thomas Ahern ahead of a Ross Molony, or a Josh Wycherley ahead of an Edward Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

if you want to do well in a world cup then winning tests/test series in new Zealand a year out from the world cup is exactly what you want. So why pick a weakened squad If you want to best prepare for a world cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Do you mean he hasn't lost any pace over the last year? Because I can guarantee you that a 35 year old has definitely lost some of his pace and acceleration.

He hasn't looked the same player to me at all this year, and I think we have players that are clearly playing better than him. But that's not always how a squad is made - do the coaches value his 'versatility,' or do they trust a less experienced player to carry out the gameplan in a big yet?

Sexton is hitting the same performance metrics in training this year as he was last year.

I think he's been the best outhalf in the NH this season, though he had a poor game against LR.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

What games in particular do you think he hasn’t looked the same, and in what regard?

I think he’s having a really good (if slightly interrupted) season. Defensively in particular, he’s lost absolutely zero of his sharpness.

Funny enough I thought defensively he's fallen off tackles easier, but I don't watch Munster every week. I don't think he brings the same sharpness in attack as our other younger options, and I think the way we are using our wingers right now favours Hansen, Lowe and maybe an on form Larmour rather than Earls and Baloucoune.

I think if Earls has anything going for him, it's that you can usually count on him to have his better performances in a big game. I don't think he's a bad player at all, I just think we have better options right now.

I’d disagree defensively and in the tackle. The try saving-tackle against Exeter comes to mind as an example (and he timed it perfectly to put the afterburners on) and he seems to routinely shut down overlaps, / 2-on-1’s.

I see the point in attack tho. Lowe and Hansen seem to be in a different category than the rest with regards play-making. The others then have different qualities that differentiate them from the others. (Larmour’s footwork, Earls defensively, Conway in the air).

We’re in a really good position with depth there, but I definitely still think Earls has something to offer.

His try saving tackle was one for the books but I feel like he's been getting stood up more and his strength in the tackle isn't where it used to be. But if anything, the coaches seem to be fine with betting on player being and overall net positive rather than needing them to be at a certain level defensively. Lowe had on of the most shocking defensive displays for Ireland since..well probably since stockdale, and Hansen isn't the greatest either. But they've cut down on their glaring errors and their playmaking and threat on the gainline hopefully do more than enough to compensate.

Conway's been one of our better defensive wings imo and his finishing has been a strength recently. Seems to turn up for big games as well.

Larmour has been trending upwards after a series of injuries and I think he could work well in the role that Lowe and Hansen play so well for Ireland right now if he could get a proper run of games to develop. His playmaking isn't quite where it needs to be, but he's cut down on his indecisiveness and has shown he can challenge the line coming off the wing recently.

I’d agree with a lot of that, Conway seems to marry both the attacking and defensive side of things really well. He also seems to be a Farrell favourite, starting ahead of Earls in Farrell’s first game iirc.

And there’ll always be room for a player with Larmour’s calibre or footwork.

Whatever way it works out, some really good wing options are going to miss out on the RWC.

It's crazy to think that Stockdale may possibly miss out on the world cup! But with injuries, defensive lapses anything can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Yea, definitely an unexpected downfall since he broke on the scene. Sure Fitzgerald had a similar period, missing the 2011 WC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say Stockdale will get back to where he was, oddly enough his biggest barriers may be other ulster players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ah I wouldn't call it a downfall, his absence is entirely injury enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ladibai

Ireland will get knocked out in the knock outs of the world cup again. Dont think they have won a 6 nations with Andy Farrell.

Only reason to rest first choice players is to save face after getting smashed in 3 games. The hole reason for this tour is to finally win a game in NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ladibai

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ahern off injured just after coming on

I've no idea what to say about Munster. They've some good players who can perform well for Ireland, but playing so poorly that I don't know if they're worth bringing on tour to New Zealand. They've had issues for years about identifying when to use their backs and manipulating the play on order to get the best from them and that's still an issue. But their basic pass and catch skills have deteriorated alarmingly in the last few weeks. So many unenforced errors this evening and against Leinster a few weeks ago too.

Ultimately, I think they were let down by substandard coaching. Their performances stalled, skills went, then their discipline.

Maybe they're over rated? Very poor team. Who knows what's with them.

you could argue all of the provincial teams are overrated. i dont think munster have been rated for a while tbh, the optimism grew after the toulouse game but other than that theyre not really favourites for big games generally

I think there's a massive issue brewing with Carbery. He just hasn't kicked on as a 10. It should be caveated that he is also another Munster player let down by dreadful coaching. But at this stage, one season out from a World Cup, he won't be able to turn things around.

He doesn't make good decisions in attack in either structured or unstructured, gets bowled over in defence and makes basic errors. It has gotten to the stage that now I think he'll never be good enough.

Personally, I'd just give up on the idea of him as Ireland back up. But we've put so much stock in him as Sextons replacement that it might be too late to change that. That's the definition of the sunk cost fallacy, but I think it's true in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's great for Irish rugby that that spoofer is gone.

Advertisement