Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Too be fair La Rochelle are locally funded they don't have a wealthy backer. Leinster would have a higher Salary. I think its fair to say no Club in Europe have all the advantages Leinster have for winning Europe.

People questioning Cullen have every right to, given his lack of success with so many advantages and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"La Rochelle are locally funded". You'd swear they were the local junior Bs running a raffle for a turkey and a tin of Kimberleys to buy a new set of jerseys.

The Top 14 TV rights are more than €100 million per season. Add to that whatever they get from Europe (which will be a lot this year) and pretty decent crowds and they aren't short of cash.

The one thing that La Rochelle don't have is a load of miserable c*nts waiting for them to fail so they can feel better about their own team's sh1tness, but if they keep on this trajectory, it won't be long coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Four league titles and a Heineken Cup in the last 5 years, and the chance of winning another league title is wildly successful by anyones metrics. Winning in Europe is bloody difficult and no team has the right to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It'll be interesting to see how O'Brien gets on as a coach. As a player he didn't demonstrate as much footballing nous as Leamy did. And will he realise that most players don't possess the physical capabilities he had when he's coaching them?

On the other hand, you could say what are Leinster doing if they don't win the league? They should be outperforming the other Irish teams given the disparity in number of international players. There probably hasn't been a good Welsh team since the Scarlets in 2017/2018. Glasgow were good under Rennie, but not as good as when Townsend was there. And then, up until this season, you had the Italians, the Cheetahs and the Southern Kings.

• Advertisement

Why are you getting so Angry about nothing? They are funding locally and have a lower Salary then Leinster.

You seem to be the miserable c*nt around here with the sh*t life. Why are you getting so worked up ? You should not be this upset over this its not important, its just people opinions

So many arguments made in bad faith have cropped up lately.

Its not successful for many given his resources and advantages. If you a happy with Pro12 then you will be happy with cullen. I prefer European titles over Pro12 titles

You're one of the posters I was referring to above.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

La Rochelle budget for this season is 28 million euro. There is 41 senior players and a massive academy/espoirs squad of 43 players.

They have a list of sponsors on their website and they are most definitely not locally funded. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bluedex

The "ignore" function is great! I've been applying it liberally today and all the miserable b*s*a*ds with their BS posts and sense of entitlement have disappeared. Currently finished reading through some excellent and well informed posts, thank you all. And good riddance to the moany holes..

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• That budget would be for absolutely everything including travel, utilities, administration, marketing etc. and not just players salaries.

The Top 14 has a salary cap of €11.3 million.

Difficult to understand why anyone who is "happy with Pro 12" would be "happy with Cullen" seeing as he has never won a Pro 12 title as a coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I'm aware of the salary cap but was pointing out the similarities in squad sizes which I am going to suggest have similar costs amongst the overall budgets.

The idea that LAR are locally funded is total BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Lancaster brought in a lovely tactic to Leinster and has referenced it repeatedly in the media....

SUMO - Shut. Up. Move. On

So as Leinster fans can we just please give this a try? The game is done and we lost. There are hopefully 3 more games of note to play. Including one this weekend.

Personally I would hope the rotation is minimal. A lot of players out to prove a point and I think letting them vent and right some wrongs of last week.

Glasgow (or at least their fans) consider us on equal footing and always bring vitriol towards the team so it would be another good chance to remind them that while they might see us a rivals.... the feeling is not mutual.

Rotate out the injury concerns - Furlong, Lowe, Sexton, Kelleher. Then it's as you were.

This might be a great opportunity for big Joe Mc to start

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

French teams wouldn't have anything like the travel costs that URC teams have for obvious reasons. They also have a very generous home player credit (up to €600,000) and an incredible allowance of an extra €200,000 for each France test player they have in their squad.

so with 12 home grown players and 5 test players in your senior squad your "salary Cap" could be €13 million

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

It’s not a hell of an achievement if they have all the money, all the resources and half the games. In a League with little competition.

Oh and don’t omit or misrepresent how long he’s been head coach which is seven years. Last five years is not his full tenure.

What relevance has your second paragraph to anything? Cullen has still achieved 4 league titles and a European Cup in the last 5 years. And could make it 5 in 5 if he wins the next three games.

Our defeat to Glasgow at Scotstoun this time last year could be their blueprint to follow for Saturday's fixture. They bear us by being niggly, slowing the game down at every opportunity and frustrating the life out of Leinster.

We had a relatively strong team out for that game too and we lost. But I expect us to field a better side and with home advantage we should win through. Only worry is that for last year's fixture our level dropped a lot as we felt we had nothing to play for after European Cup defeat. Hopefully that doesn't happen this time. Although, that was the Rainbow Cup which I still feel was a farcical tournament.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am getting tired reading posts about posters putting other posters on ignore lists.

In future, posters announcing this will get pointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I agree with the question re: Cullen. But, locally funded or not, La Rochelle are not a local team. They are heavily constructed with foreign players.

Leinster are a local side. Almost fully dependent on local talent. There's no team in Europe that develops home grown players like Leinster.

The salary of both teams is unrelated! How much $ is Skelton on? Or Priso? La Rochelle are a very well run team. Fair play to them. But they don't develop many French players, in fact, without the imports they are just average.

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Too totally different methods to develop the team.

What disparity? The provinces are functioning well! Leinster lads are playing at each province! There's four more off to Connacht, with another going into the Connacht academy! Leinster develop and try to retain their players. There's Leinster players in each province. What do you want? Should they send more to the other provinces and just be the providers for the game in Ireland? Let's not have the other provinces develop their own lads? Population advantages or not, what Leinster have produced in recent years is great.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

@Itxa can you confirm for me that you're a Leinster supporter?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

If I played at historic Dublin clubs in my youth I think you safely guess that I am a Leinster supporter. At least I am at times when I am not aggravated by what I call monotonous game plans and structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bluedex

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I don't see why acknowledging the fact Leinster have more internationals than other provinces means I'm in favour of some sort of artificial redistribution programme. I'm not. Just leave it up to individuals to decide what's best for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The other provinces rely on Leinster to provide players! At least recently. We can all piss n moan about Leo etc! The reality is, there's a lot of talent being spread around the provinces, from Leinster. They were outplayed last week. The pack and squad was loaded with Irish players. They fell short. If the Leinster players weren't winning or making Euro finals, there would be less in the Irealand squad.

There is no bonus to redistribution of Leinster players to other provinces. Plenty have moved by their own desire. Apologies if I came across as a plonker!

I suppose there is a bit of a chicken and egg argument. Are Leinster good because they have a lot of Ireland players? - or or do Ireland pick a lot of Leinster players because Leinster are very good at developing them? Both are true, depending on which angle you look at it from.

I'm on record saying I highly rate Lancaster's ability to develop a lot of players. I remember a quote from Ross Molony saying how Lancaster giving everyone equal reps in training led to faster development of young players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Well done La Rochelle. Probably a bit of hype with Leinster with their 1.5 second rucks. It's reminding of the hype the Dubs used to get. That said, La Rochelle so much stronger than URC teams. The only way I think Leinster could realistically prepare for these teams is to play Munster or Ulster with 17 players.

My only gripe is what I have been saying for a long while. I don't think either of the Byrnes are Sexton's successor and it should be Frawley. Ross is a great URC player when you are dominating. Turn up the pressure and he doesn't look comfortable at all.

I don't care if Leinster see Frawley as a 12. Carter and Wilko both played 10 / 12 interchangeably and it shouldn't be so unusual in the modern game. We were never going to get 80 mins from sexton and I would have preferred seeing Frawley come on at 60 and that being something Leinster were doing regularly in big games.

Next year, I think ok to bring in a decent utility back - another Isa please. And for some of those big games 6 forwards on the bench.

Advertisement