Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring data from one laptop to another

Options
  • 02-06-2022 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Thinking of upgrading my Acer Aspire Windows 7 laptop.

Ideally, I would like to transfer all my files, i.e.music, word document files, etc. from my old laptop to my new laptop.

Is it a straightforward process to transfer data from one laptop to another?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Pretty much copy/paste operation. As Win7 potentially is on HDD, copy/paste might be lenghty depending on amount of data

If you use cloud storage and have enough space on cloud - sync operation. Speed will depend on internet speed as well.

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭I am me123

So could a computer technician transfer all my laptop data to my new laptop with a USB?

You can do it on your own - you know what and where you have. All you need is USB drive, size depend on how much data to go over, or you could do in multiple goes if USB drive is small capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭I am me123

Thanks for the information @smuggler.ie 😊 So do I just save everything from old laptop to a USB key, then once saved, just plug in USB to new laptop & upload the data?

That's it. This is about files (documents, img, vid, etc)

Programs/applications wont transfer - you will have to install, configure and activate, where applicable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement