Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside The Ropes - Naas Golf Club

Options
  • 28-05-2022 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Some of you will probably remember (some of you probably joined me, too) I was doing a series called 'Inside the Ropes', where I get three golfers to join me at a course for a round. You then sit down and answer a bunch of questions about your experience.

I'll be playing Naas in the coming couple of weeks and I need 3 volunteers. At this stage I have no day/time confirmed, but keep an eye out if you are interested. I'll be posting the date/time early next week. It'll be a weekday I expect but given the long evenings I might aim for a 5.30pm tee off.

My only requirement is that you HAVEN'T played the course before. (I had once chancer turn up somewhere who had played the course three times... and let it slip during the round.)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Date depending for me but I was already in one for you so might not be what your looking for. I'll be playing it this year either way hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I’d be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Never played and would be interested, am in Carlow but with enough notice can make a 5.30 tee time easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Kevin for info - we have had a few boards events there - so loads have played. Great course if anyone looking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Great course. Played it earlier this year, so won't try cheat a spot 😁

Whoever gets out is in for a treat, it's a lovely course.

• Advertisement

I drove around the back of it one day a few years ago, huge tree line fairway on one of the holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Don't think I could narrow it to 1 fairway, there's plenty of them.

Some lovely elevation changes throughout the course, really nice mix of holes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Even though I work about 2 miles away and use the range at lunch, I have never played it, so would be interested. Not sure you would want to play with a cack handed 16 handicapper though! 🤣 Could wreck with your head. Just ask Fix!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

I'd be interested if there's a spot available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

OK, so I have a tee time for 5.20pm this Wednesday, June 1st.

Your handicap doesn't matter (boccy23!). All you need is a willingness to play, an opinion on what you like (or don't) about the course, you're a first timer playing the course, and you have 20 minutes at the end to answer some questions... in the bar, preferably. Bear in mind the tee time, so we won't be finished till after 9pm.

If you want to play and can make it to the club for that tee time, stick your name on this thread with:

Your handicap (I'd like to aim for a mix if possible, but not essential)

Many thanks

K

• Advertisement

*Rescind that, can make it now sorry. Called in to cover a shift.

Post edited by dan_ep82 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Hi Kevin,

Can I throw my name into the hat?

Currently off 18.1

I can make that too, off 10 currently.

Consider yourself on the tee tomorrow evening. If no one else comes forward by 12 pm today, I'll do a shout out on Twitter.

See you both tomorrow. FYI, the visitors' car park is on the other side of the road to the clubhouse and about 100 yards further along the road. I'll meet you outside the Pro shop.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Can't make tomorrow night. Young fellas hurling match. 😣

Thanks Kevin. Is there a range there by any chance? Hope to get there for about 4.40 to warm up a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

There is a range at the end of the visitors car park (remember this is opposite the course and not beside the clubhouse)

Its a fantastic course and you'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭KevH1984

Hi Kevin, I'd be able to play if you need one more. Currently 4.0. Thanks.

Cheers Kevin. See ye tomorrow

Perfect. See you there. That's a good range of handicaps, too.

• Advertisement

Big thanks to the three guys for coming out to Naas last night. Some highly entertaining golf, including a birdie/birdie/bogey/birdie streak from KevH1984, a couple of birdies from Ivefoundgod (including a tap in on 18) as well as a fine putting display, and too many impressive shots for ryaner777 to stay on an 18 h'cap for long.

This is the 18th green as we finished up at 9.15pm.

PS. My car broke down on the way home, about a mile from my house. It was carrying too much emotional baggage after so many missed putts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Super photo @Kevinmarkham !

Just out of interest, I was curious when you mentioned that the 3 players should all be first timers. You're obviously looking for first impressions (and you've obviously played the course yourself) but I would have thought that more of a mix might offer up better insights. I.e I tend to take in/notice more/get a better appreciation of a course on the second or third visit.

I don't know if I have a question 😂 But I suppose I was just wondering if you ever toyed with the idea of getting someone who has played the course a few times?

Kevin, thanks very much for having us in Naas. It was a pleasure to play on such a nice evening and with the course in such good condition. Naas is a beautiful track and one I will be returning to soon. Sorry to hear about your car on the way home, that's a right pain.

PS - great picture.

TBH PARlance, it's all about the first impressions of a course. Listening to the three guys trying to decide what to hit (Naas has a few narrow fairways) and how to tackle approaches to greens with a lot of bunkers is part of the appeal for me.

Your point about having a better appreciation of a course after a number of rounds is totally valid and I may well mix it up next time around. I guess part of it would be to avoid the 'knowledgeable' one giving too much away.

Thanks again for having us Kevin, great evening of golf and a lovely course too. Putter was still behaving itself tonight for a quick 9 so might have found something, I'll have to thank you if it sticks 😀

Great company as well and good to meet you both @KevH1984 and @ryaner777

Sorry to hear about the car Kevin. Cheers lads for the game last night.

Would highly recommend naas to anyone who hasn't played it before. Lovely track and looking at their prices today it's great value.

Thanks again @Kevinmarkham

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

That is a spectacular photo Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

Here is the digital edition of the article: https://irishgolfer.ie/digital/2022-6/index.html?page=108

Advertisement