Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

History time: Taiwan was only taken by China in 1683 during the Qing dynasty. After the Qing seized the island in 1683 and killed off a rebellion, they tried to sell it to the back to the Dutch as they explicitly didn't regard it as part of the Empire.

They barely "ruled" the island until 1895, which saw over 100 rebellions by the native Taiwanese against mainland government

That period is a hot second in Chinese history terms, and the central government displayed very little desire to properly govern it and exert central control of the economy and governance of the island, so much so that the interior wasn't properly mapped by them until the 1870s. They concerned themselves with coastal areas that could be farmed by limited numbers of Han immigrants.

They ceded the island in perpetuity to the Japanese in 1895.

Mao in the 40s and 50s spoke about Taiwan in the same breath as Korea, which is viewed in the Chinese political and imperial mind as "not China" but a tributary state to China. This is actually highly instructive about how the majority of Chinese thought of the island at the time. It's there, but is it really China? They were ambivalent.

The island only became properly Sinofied with the arrival of Chiang Kai Shek when Mandarin was imposed as the official language.

The old "Taiwan has always been a part of China" only came about really because of the flight of the Nationalists to Taiwan and the Communists got their knickers firmly in a bunch realising how strategic the island is.

They have successfully sold enough foreigners who are ignorant to the history on the "forever part of China" story, because well, it's more important to sell nuveou riche Chinese ladies handbags and their husbands wristwatches to get bogged down in history. But the history of clear, China only exerted sovereignty of Taiwan for a brief 200 year window, and even then, only kind of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

We do contribute to EU/Csdp missions.

UK and US ... I don't really care about anyway. (who supposedly wants to be be bffs with UK and USA??)

EU all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭eire4

The invasion of Ukraine by the authoritarian dictatorship in Russia has indeed hurt us financially and increasingly so as the weeks go by and Russian atrocities mount and that is not including the 100m+ bill it will cost us for the Russian's hacking of our health system. So no question while Russia has not directly attacked us their invasion has and is costing us financially.

As for your first question nobody can answer that question with any certainty given that the Russian dictatorship lies constantly but no question they have for years now been engaged in cyberattacks aimed at undermining western democracies of which we are one.

In terms of your second question what other criminals do is of no relevance. Russia and its authoritarian dictatorship is in of itself essentially a criminal enterprise.

Then to quote you : "You say the war in Ukraine has hurt us financially yet are calling for us to join nato which defacto means spending billions."

That line is a lie so try your gaslighting elsewhere.

What I have said is that Ireland is a member of the EU a collective from which we do and have benefited from enormously. Benefits which we would not be able to enjoy if we were on our own. We live in a very stable and for all its issues well functioning democracy and enjoy life in a free and open society in contrast to the repressive authoritarian dictatorship in Russia. While the dictatorship in Russia is highly unlikely to invade us their invasion of Ukraine is hurting us financially and it is incumbent on us to develop a capable defense and security of our island and carry our weight in terms of the defense and security of our country instead of being the selfish freeloaders we currently are as a member of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

I'm not sure why you're resorting to abuse. The better way is to take apart my posts and criticise what you object to.

I accept your description of Ireland's defensive inability and stand corrected on that point.

I don't agree with your claim that the UK is the danger you describe.

Once again, you don't tell me to go away.

I repeat, we disagree and hopefully will not engage again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Great post. It shows exactly how China and Taiwan are very much connected throughout history hence there being a motive ( even if not justified) for china to invade. We know Russia and ukraine were connected too up until 1991. Only country Ireland has history with is Britain. Infact the only country that ever planned to invade us since independence was Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

They are not the "biggest threat" (those would be Russia, Turkey and China) but they plainly do wish to undermine + fragment the EU, and that is disruptive rather than helpful. It's very hard IMO for them (current crowd running the shop) to make Brexit work out as fully intended unless this happens. Others were meant to quit by now + join the UK outside (who would dominate and shape a new, better "bloc" as a founder) & this has not happened and it looks unlikely.

Wrecking the EU is (I think) obviously not going to be a good thing for European security even if it (might?) benefit the UK. So this is a risk all the members of the EU must consider when dealing with the UK. It may recede in future when the UK has a less "Brexit-y" government that is not quite so fixated with the project and hostile to the EU (e.g. there's some shift in the Tories where the faction that drove through the very hard Brexit lose power, or else the Tories themselves are out of government for a time).

You could argue that doesn't mean the UK bear ill will to any EU member countries themselves (Boris repeatedly calls them [incl. us] "our friends" every time he opens his mouth on the topic, and in fairness UK is very supportive of security of Eastern members and assisting Ukraine strongly through its NATO membership etc.).

However the EU members obviously won't be happy with UK divide and rule efforts. It does create alot of tension and trouble (e.g. over NI), given these countries are all still remaining in the EU by choice, they don't view it as the UK does. They want it to work well (for them) & think this is vital for their interests going forward rather than have it falter & dissolve into an "EEC" type structure, or shatter apart as UK seems to desire. When the UK govt. goes to battle with the EU as it loves to do, or plots to undermine it, it's also attacking these countries, and harming its relations with them. I am not sure if the UK govt. fully get this (or want to get it).

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

You've gone from Russia backed the hackers to nobody knows.

We won't be joining. End

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

I agree that Brexit has caused many headaches, mostly for Britain. I voted Remain and recall posting in 2016 that whilst politicians then were asserting that the UK was not turning it's back on Europe, it seemed so to me. I can understand why the EU is reluctant to grant the UK any favours and I never accepted that the EU would fragment. The European project was too important and valuable to it's members - even if there were/are elements of Euro scepticism within some nations.

I would hope that divide and rule belongs in the past and that the Europeans don't regard Britain as more that an economic competitor rather than a potential threat to the security of the EU. Their suspicion is understandable though. The UK has placed a distance between itself and Europe.

Brexit is a reality and I've had my share of raving at the tv with the shenanigans played out in parliament. It won't be reversed any time soon so it has to be dealt with and I'd say most of the 14,000,000 who voted Remain have accepted this.

You're right to mention the type of government in the UK at the moment. If Britain is to strike out on it's own there's no point in making enemies whilst doing so - easier said than done.

I never thought the UK population was well served in the whole Brexit business - from either side of the argument. Britain certainly needs a better quality of politicians going forward.

I now hope Brexit is a raging success in the long term, not because I desired it but because that's where the country is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Have you considered spending time stanning on Clare Dalys Facebook?

• Advertisement

"Infact the only country that ever planned to invade us since independence was Britain."

And again, no. You really should read up on the stuff you think you know before you write about it.

"The Nazis, intoxicated by their military victory in France, considered themselves unstoppable and were determined to press their advance into Britain and Ireland. Germany’s invasion plans for Britain were codenamed Operation Sealion. Their invasion plans for Ireland were codenamed Unternehmen Grün or Operation Green."

Source : https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/what-if-hitler-had-invaded-1.684250

• Registered Users Posts: 68,697 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This is just ridiculous. The Russians fly, sail and submarine all around these islands all the time.

’We wanna join Nato’ let’s create some scaremongering about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

The HSE hack was done using the technical competency of a 14 year old. Resources of a State were not required.

Sounds like you've watched too many American films depicting scary Commies.

Ireland isn't Ukraine.

Ukraine and Russia had been bed fellows for a few centuries before the collapse of the USSR and they started parting ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

They may not be "commies" any more but they are definitely very, very scary even if you are suffering under the delusion the Russian army is a liberating anti-imperialist force that is busy cleansing Ukraine of pro-US Nazis today.

We're absolutely blessed here not to be living beside them + with a good few well tooled up members of the "sinister club of arms merchants" (your own description of NATO as I recall - didn't bother to look it up so may be paraphrasing) in between to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭deravarra

You're a denier. You are the guy who would try to persuade me i dont need a house alarm after all my neighbours had been burgled.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Did you get those talking points from the CCP?

Historically, Taiwan was also part of Japan for 50 years, or did you miss that bit from your history lesson? China can view it how it wants, doesn't make it so. Russia can view Ukraine as part of the greater Rusian Empire, how is that going?

Regardless, right now, there are 25 million Taiwanese who want to truck with the way the CCP runs China and their more ardent authoritarian rule on the mainland. Anyone with a brain would support a liberal, democratic and most important free Taiwan, free from the shackles of the CCP.

Yurt is right as well, if Taiwan falls, it will mean a certain war in the wider Pacific region with South Korea and Japan right in the mix along with the Philippines, Australians and Americans upping their game. It would be a disaster.

Infact the only country that ever planned to invade us since independence was Britain.

Man, when you get stuff wrong, you go all in.

Afaik, the British only planned to invade Ireland if the Germans landed in the South, so a bit disingenuous.

• Advertisement

Is it wrong? Nope, it isnt....

We all know your views Francie, which is akin to doing nothing because the Brits are part of it.

A phishing email with a link to a malicious excel file, accessed from a computer not running any AntiVirus, hackers run rampant in the system for 8 weeks before it was noticed.

Sorry but that attack doesn't require resources of a State to mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭deravarra

It's time to bring our defence forces to an acceptable standard. We should be increasing the size of the forces, have purpose built barracks and not relics of a bygone era, modern equipment for modern conflicts, and good pay for those who serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,697 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mark, you are trying to scaremonger about something that has been the norm for years.

Trust me, if the Russians intend invading they will look very different to the few ships cruising about offshore for decades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Who said Taiwan wasn't under control of Japan??? I said China sees Taiwan as part of their country. That is a fact. It also fact they were connected for 200 years.

You have really odd way of arguing. Twice you have brought up points that nobody ever made and then tell them to read up on it. Taiwan being under Japanese control for 50 years and projecting power.

The fact is china see Taiwan as part of thier country and that is their number one motive for invasion.

Who sees Ireland as part of their country? Ireland is not in the same position as Taiwan or even the Ukraine. Churchill had a plan to invade Ireland. He could not handle us being neutral. He even offered the North should we go in with allies but De Valera said no. The link you sent about operation green even said it was a threat more than an actual planned invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

I suppose that these coordinated phishing attacks against Nato & Ukraine defence are also the work of a 14 year old

"Government-backed actors from China, Iran, North Korea and Russia, as well as various unattributed groups, have used various Ukraine war-related themes in an effort to get targets to open malicious emails or click malicious links," Google TAG Security Engineer Billy Leonard said.

The Russia attack on the HSE according to Paul Reid will cost us 100m+. So a very expensive attack it proved to be financially as well as the significant disruption it caused to our health care system at the time.

• Advertisement

Haha I must say you have real persistence with your gaslighting and lies.

You asked a question as to why the Russian dictatorship would attack our health system and I simply pointed out that given the Russians lie on an industrial scale on a regular basis that nobody could say with any certainty. It does not change the fact that the Russians attacked our health care system causing over 100m in damage and causing significant disruption with the attack.

Then your lies and gaslighting about NATO once again. As you well know I have not said we should join NATO.

What I have said is that Ireland is a member of the EU a collective from which we do and have benefited from enormously. Benefits which we would not be able to enjoy if we were on our own. We live in a very stable and for all its issues well functioning democracy and enjoy life in a free and open society in contrast to the repressive authoritarian dictatorship in Russia. While the dictatorship in Russia is highly unlikely to invade us their invasion of Ukraine is hurting us financially and it is incumbent on us to develop a capable defense and security of our island and carry our weight in terms of the defense and security of our country instead of being the selfish freeloaders we currently are as a member of the EU.

Advertisement