Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chaos at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

haha not flying to Spain mate, got connecting flight to catch in Paris so stressed af, my better half on doubled dose of anti-anxiety tablets since last weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

that's mainly tui cancelling flights though, causing chaos as people try to rebook.

although security is always a pox in Manchester Airport anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

How can I check airports ? flying out of BCN in about 3 weeks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭furiousox

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well hello Mrs Phillips.

I see you subscribe to the shoot the messenger philosophy.

You don't seem to grasp the concept that it looks totally wrong for him to sidestep the normal procedures that the organisation that he in charge of forces all the other customers of said organisation to suffer at the moment.

It is a thing called optics and this plonker has no idea.

Also he arrogantly tries to dress it up that this was just another charge that came out of his travel budget when in actual fact his organisations customers and taxpayers are the ones carrying that cost.

The same customers who have been screwed over the last few weeks due to the incompetence of his management teams.

The only chief exec this guy reminds me of is Gerald Ratner, another arrogant fookwit that thinks they are far superior to their customers.

If I was Greencore board I would asking legal advisors to find some way of ditching this dude as he is a walking clusterfook.

Remember the old Peter Principle about people in management reaching a level above their capabilities.

I think the last two jobs he has had prove that point.

And oh wasn't he great to come back immediately.

Would you like to give him a medal.

It is clowns like you excusing shyte from people like him that has this country the fookup it is.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I think you should be taking them aswell 😂 joke!

😀😀😀 seriously thinking about it already 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

A similar thing happened in the UK. When most of the airports (inc Heathrow) were owned by Ferrovial the role of the other airports was to act as a feeder for Heathrow. The number of direct flights was quite low. Well in 2012 they were forced to sell some airports (inc Edinburgh).

For EDI in the 7 years to 2019 (before Covid) the passenger numbers increased by 50% almost exclusively driven by international passengers (the number of domestic passengers actually fell). Why - many more direct flights were attracted because EDI's role was no longer just to be a feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bluedex

Latest info from Dublin Airport re check-in and bag drop in T1. It says 4 hours pre flight for Ryanair. Presumably this is to cater for the current issues as it's normally 2 hours.

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/check--in/dap_queue_t1.pdf

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,369 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm flying out at 9am tomorrow with a baby. Does anyone know if they're fast tracking people with babies?

I was looking at the queues on the news and didn't see any peoppe with babies or old people or people with disabilities so I wondered if they're prioritising some people.

Any advice greatly appreciated

pretty much weird as called Air France and was told that bags drop-off is open 3h prior to flight when .pdf says its still 2h

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I haven’t yet booked my summer holiday yet and I genuinely feel for people flying out of Dublin airport at a time that’s meant to be well earned holidays.

Dublin airport is a 10 minute drive from my house and regretfully I’ll be left no choice but fly from Belfast when I’m booking. My kids would go haywire in those Dublin airport queues so it’s worth the journey north.

Sad state of affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

My 3 friends flying from Belfast instead of Dublin and no delays according to them in Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Agreed. There are Major operational and management issues at Dublin Airport. There are also cohorts that make the process an unnecessary ordeal.

Some people just don't think that the rules apply to them, as individual.

Elderly people, groups and couples acting the maggot too. They all have to go through the boarding pass check together. They all have to go through the exact security queue together. And they'll lurk around to make sure that Ethel didn't get arrested for terrorism charges. Childish carry-on.

There should be a male only queue.

Ah, I'd have said that too. But traveling with a baby slows things down too. You travel with food for the baby and they have to inspect the baby food and take apart the pram and scan it twice. They take out every item of baby food and put it through the test machine. One of our unopened packets of baby food failed the test. I asked yer wan what the test was for and she said 'explosives'. So she chucked the packet of shepherd's pie in the bin with all the other potential 'explosives'. We all know its not an explosive, but that's the process.

Then you walk through the scanner with the baby in your arms so they have to take a swab from the baby's hands and feet and you hand the baby to your partner and they do a pat-search before you go into the stand-up scanner. It's not my fault and it's not the security guards' fault. It's just the system and it takes time.

Moot point but sitting in Kilmainham this afternoon in clogged traffic and the lights changed not once but 5 times before I managed to get through them. And then I looked to my right and there was the gigantic brand spanking new children's hospital in all it's glory, completely inaccessible in a rapidly growing city. All 2bn euros of it. The thought crossed my mind a parent with a sick child would have got nowhere near the door in the time they needed to if it was open. Poor decision making.

Similarly in the poor decision making theme, the Dalton Philips appointment to the DAA has proven to be an absolute failure. How did he get the gig in the first place as they put the blame for their ineffectiveness and inefficiency on people turning up early.in reality, it's their strategic decision making that is at fault.

We have a huge problem with the decision makers in this country. They constantly make the wrong ones.

Thank **** I'm heading nowhere near the airport this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 22,334 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If 17 security staff were MIA on Sunday, can you imagine how many low-paid staff in other areas also didn't turn in Sunday.

There was a severe shortage of taxis in Dublin on Saturday night, probably due to the same reason - number of big matches on that day. Lots of Liverpool fans in those cohorts...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭US3

They have a come up with a genius idea for the ques, they built a big markee/gazibo style roof outside T1.

• Advertisement

Ugh…..time to head to the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tinter Box

Out at 245am for a 625am flight. Ryanair bag drop took 5 mins and is open early. Security about 35 mins so far but just coming up to luggage scanners. Not too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Might look at flights ex Belfast for August…. Busy month for traveling and no guarantee that this absolute shîtshow will be sorted… flights to the destination I’m looking at are seriously cheap. As are hotels in Belfast…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

T1, Ryanair. Dropped at new departure zone on far side of atrium at 5.50am. Had a bag drop but it was empty and hassle free. Through fast track in 10 mins and out at 6.25am. 35 mins in total.

Only criticism would be lack of trolleys at new drop off. Had to go searching. I had 2 kids, large luggage and a car seat.

Through T2 security in 10-15mins. No queue for boarding pass scanner. No bags to drop off.

So are there still people q'ing outside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭US3

Is there a way to live check airports and how busy they are ? I am following twitter accounts, but not all seem to have official ones, I am looking for Prat in Barcelona, how I check it in realtime ... apart from Google maps I guess ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I've travelled with a baby and this was not my experience. The pram was folded and put through the scanner. The food/ drinks (albeit snacks and not full meals) stayed in the bag and went through the scanner- they then maybe did a swab on one piece of fruit. I held baby and walked through the metal detector, we were patted down. No swabs of baby's hands and feet. Not faster or slower than anyone else in the queue, but they did let us skip a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I don't think there is enough tinfoil in Ireland for that....

Advertisement