Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head to toe in Gore-tex and still got wet

Options
  • 02-06-2022 7:49pm

Got back from a six hour round trip today, rained consistently for about 4 of the six hours. Last summer I bought Dainese Dolomiti trousers, jacket and Dainese gore-tex gloves and boots.

My hands, arms, chest and crotch were all wet. Not soaking but the garments were noticeably wet on the inside.

Is this normal, the reason I spent the extra was for the Gore-Tex which based on todays performance is not significantly different to other “water resistant”???

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Yep, it's disappointing, but it's happened to me too. I have a cheap fold up jacket and trousers that I throw on over the gore Tex when I see bad prolonged rain coming. Gore Tex will be grand in showers, but driving from Galway to Dublin on a rainy day, you have no chance! I've been caught the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I have worn all sorts over the years and many full days of rain and getting wet with everything advertised as "waterproof". I eventually had a bit of money and bought myself an expensive rukka suit and have never been wet since..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Back in the day, it was waxed cotton all the way - Barbour or Belstaff.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I have a richa rain warrior 2 piece.

A lot of the adventure guys would sneer at it in their expensive Rukka gear etc. but it's never let in a drop in on me anyway.

Yep, I'd be from that era

The essentials bought when you got your first bike were just helmet,gloves and a wax jacket.

If you had the price of a wax pants after that you were sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Exactly same here & never got wet

Couple of weeks ago i got the Oxford Mondial jacket from SBS ( after giving out yards about the service) and seems to be pretty good although in hindsight probably should have went for the darker colour as this one shows up any marks / bugsplat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Goretex is only as good as the stitching and the seams. That's the weak point. Doesn't matter what you put it in.

I've often put on an older jacket in heavy rain over Goretex type garments. If you're not sweating too much, works good as it deflects the bulk of the rain and what gets through doesn't move through the Goretex.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I got this jacket as well. Find it perfect. The neck line is a bit short but a brilliant jacket nonetheless. Will be getting the trousers to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

A lot of these Gore-Tex products are marketed as being "waterproof" but really are only "water resistant". Depending on how much cover you have on your bike, the 4 hours of rain could have been driven at speed into the seams of the jacket and leaked in that way. As someone has mentioned, I also have a Richa Rain Warrior jacket and it is the best sealed one I have ever come across. 2.5 hours in constant torrential rain on the motorway last summer and not one drop was let in. Bearing in mind I was riding a Pan European with plenty of fairing to cover me, that could contribute to why I wasn't soaked in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I own Dane Nimbus jacket and Lyngby trousers - they haven't let me down.

Went out for a 6 hour spin the other week and it rained heavily the most of the time. There was slight damping of the gear but when it stopped the gear dried off before the next bout of rain.

I was very impressed.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/397258

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I stay off the bike when it's wet.

Too many.

They are a pain in the hole 🫣

Nothing from that era anymore but nearest would be a 1998 MZ Mastiff.

Also zzr1400,a blade and a few Aprilias

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Laminated GoreTex is a step up from the Goretex membrane. I just don't get wet in my Halvarsson's gear - as long as remember the storm collar for the really bad days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Snap ! Just got one of those on Friday - hope it lives up to the blurb.

If it's really, really ****, an oversuit is the best option.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Timfy

I used to do a 200 mile daily commute, come rain, shine or snow.

I was given an all in one yachting suit and despite looking a bit of a numpty, I was warm and dry in absolutely any weather. It was huge and happily went over my gear with the advantage that it was also designed with movement in mind.

People will probably point and laugh at you though!!!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The thing with any fabric is that when the fabric wets out and can't push any more moisture out you will get wet from sweat condensing on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

You've hit the nail on the head here.

If you've got the wind protection of a fairing like the pan european has you're greatly decreasing your chances of getting a soaking.

In my case though I prefer naked bikes so I've to step up my rain gear.

I use richa laminated Goretex but even that lets moisture in if you're in driving rain after a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

I just picked up an oxford over jacket yesterday as my Richa Textile jacket has started letting the water in on my arms somehow,

You just throw them over your existing jacket.

Any recommendations on winter gloves, I have a pair of Richa Goretex Winter gloves but they are too big for me, it makes it a lot harder to use the controls wearing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I've a cheap hiking waterproof over suit can't remember the make got it in Decathlon in France about 10 years ago now when i was on tour and it's still going strong. Any material will eventually give in after an hour or two in the rain at high motorway speeds especially on a naked type bike i don't care what the manufacturer states.

The quality of "Gore-Tex" branded clothing in general doesn't live up the reputation IMO. I bought two separate pairs of outdoor Gore-Tex shoes last year for walking the dog in the evenings, just walking through grass in local park nothing heavy, and both pairs have let water in. A regular pair on leather Stan Smiths would put up as much water resistance.

Last week, my Dainese Gore-Tex trousers let in water around my inner thighs after a 15min ride in light rain!!!

What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You're not using them right. I guarantee if you use them in Mongolia in January they won't let any rain in...

Post edited by Bluefoam on

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Breezin

I got a Belstaff waxed cotton jacket as a pressie some years ago -- probably wouldn't have been my choice, but it's never let in water on my naked bike and is wonderfully light and flexible. Much prefer it to being gussied up in mega suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

whatever gear you have will be tested in that weather out there today

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

I use an oxford rain jacket that goes over my existing jacket and it works perfect never get wet these days.

Arrived into work this morning nice and dry

Advertisement