Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Profile option

Options

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't agree Niamh, posting history is seemingly already visible through the community developed add-in. If mods need this to access post history, can't they use that?

The best way forward is usually to ask the fewest number of people to make a change. Instead, what the site is doing is imposing a change on everyone to make a small number of people's life a bit easier.

Private profiles were one of the few good things about vanilla, and now that's being taken away.

It's not about a user's posting history. History of mod actions are contained on each user's profile but only visible to Mods, Admins and staff. However when a user marks their profile as private all of this information is hidden from mods. It should not be. Mods need to be able to see a user's previous disciplinary actions (if any).

Mods are not a 'small number' of people, there are hundreds of them and without them the site would be a very grim place so we're doing all possible to bring their tools and features back to what they should be (and used to be before we moved). You as a user do not have to 'do' anything.

Private profiles were not something we expected on the changeover and not a feature we asked for. I recognise that some people felt that it was some sort of safety feature from other users being able to read their posts but the whole point of the site is that it is a community who share their thoughts and posts with each other. A small but not insignificant nummber of people have been re-regging and immediately setting their profiles to private as they know it is harder to follow their history across the site. They may troll one forum until banned and then move on to another, this is something we want to knock on the head.

I understand people's concerns and this is why I wanted to give advance notice and the opportunity to answer questions beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

If you don't want people to be able to read your posts on an online discussion forum, then don't post on a discussion forum. Everything you post online is in the open for everybody to read, and it really feels like there are a lot of people making a mountain out of a molehill here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There are hundreds of moderators in name only, since the move to vanilla many are not active at all and have completely disengaged with the site. Last time I checked cmods didn't even know who were moderating their subforums and there were only a handful of people actually running the site.

As I said, it's leaving the door unlocked for everyone so the few that need access don't need a set of keys, rather than actually giving those keys to people that need them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

@Boards.ie: Niamh

Is there any chance that the Profile page can be expanded to include other data, such as was available on the old vBB system?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Agree, I don't see this as much of an issue. Even without Boards facilitating it, it's fairly easy to use Google to search for a poster's Boards posts. (The exception would be posters with usernames like "Donald Trump", where the search results would contain a lot of unrelated posts)

As Delboy above says, content on a website like Boards is publicly visible. It's very difficult to prevent a person using Google (or any number of other tools) to gather and correlate information from it. This isn't my first Boards account. It's possible to piece together quite a lot about a longtime user from their posts, so I tend to close my account after a few years and open a new one. Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I am here to express mine and solely mine opinion on the topic, and i did. It was "nice to have", not that it effects me personaly in the bad way, not that boards care or should.

Nothing personal

... i also remember some features we did had back then, like.... dark mode, 24h time... in the correct summer time, list of users thanking post in the banner, working notifications,... list might go on ......

I remember all the promisses it will be "good" and done "soon" because of "new platform". As you remaind me... since July 2021

The whole point of moving to a new platform was to make things easier

You not the first to say that and perhaps multiple times during past year.

Did it ? Perhaps did and i'm wrong... so why admin and mods(not even mention userbase) have struggle using this site, lack of "easy things"? Quite the oposite it seam.

Whomever from Vanilla fed this **** to whomever was responsible for "buying" it, it didnt implement any "ease" as it appear so far, else why does it require to strip off of some features of the "new platform" already.

I might not know all interworking there, but as user - expirience for me is poor compare to what it was before Jul21

Perhaps we should not play this "remainder" game...

It is what it is now.

I still do hope that boards will find their way out with at least some of its "face", else why would i be here... oh yeah, to do a DIY CSS on the site to suite my liking.

Again, nothing personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

But I bring you back to my point about PI and RI, also Sex and Sexuality iirc. Those posts didn't appear on your profile on the old boards and they will now be exposed. This is not ok!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Oh well, it was nice having the private profile option. I've had multiple nutjobs who think lowly of me making comments that it's weird I have my profile on private. They were clearly looking to browse my posts to get info on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Konny Rool

a clusterfuq so

"Mods can't see" etc bans and the like , so "no more privacy options"

Well sort that shít out then, without depriving folk of their option/s to be relatively anonymous; using stuff like 'computer programming' and the like - something one would hope Vanilla are familiar with

using stuff like 'computer programming' and the like

... or ask some of the knowledgeable and skilled users here to chip in...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Konny Rool

that too I suppose @Esel 😊 must be loads of those experts on here !

I think there are/were a couple of user-developed add-ons in use which a lot of users seemed happy with.

Not your ornery onager

You are seriously out of touch with reality if you think that tired statement of yours is true, are you imaging the Fr ted scene where the kids ring the priest hotline?

boards couldn’t be further from the radar of todays youth, it’s full of either middle life people (hence the cranky and suspicious tones) or bots sent here with an agenda

I was a mod for years, school holidays always brought out new trolls, usually late night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

“I was a mod for years”. Explains a lot then..

The private profile option was a nice to have, but not having them won’t be that big a deal. It’s laughable how poor the site is functioning for every party involved, posters and mods.

Post edited by Jequ0n on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭blackbox

Long before the change to Vanilla, you stopped showing a user's location, supposedly for privacy reasons.

This was going to be reviewed with the possibility of being made optional.

I'd love to see it back - it's particularly relevant for forums such as farming, gardening etc. Not so much for After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Can I just remind you that the users of the site don’t have to be grateful with you removing a feature just because it makes your life a little bit more comfortable? Learn to take some feedback on board without getting snippy with people, good man.

I have used this site under various guises over the years and each time some lunatic would take umbrage with my forthright, honest style of posting and launch a campaign of following me from thread to thread trying to wind me up.

It doesn’t happen as much any more (though it does still happen) and that’s, in my opinion, because of the privacy option on my profile.

Reporting the posts doesn’t do anything because those underhanded, low-key forms of harassment can be explained away by “oh he’s just disagreeing with you” or “nobody’s stalking you” by mod or admin alike, particularly if you are poster the moderators don’t like (such as myself, I am very frank about the incompetency of the moderators/admins and I am not shy about it. This thread reinforces my view towards the moderator team).

It’s best for users such as myself for whom the moderators are no help to be able to keep our profiles private without fear of being followed around from thread to thread like a beggar by weirdos.

I think the boards.ie braintrust need to band together and work out how to give moderators their tools for spying on users without removing features for the regular user. I have worked in IT for over thirty years and genuinely boards.ie seems to be run particularly poorly. “Do no harm, don’t break users.*” Don’t give us excuses give us solutions.

* https://www.theregister.com/2017/11/24/linus_torvalds_approach_to_security/

Have to agree with most of that. As I've already said, I've had numerous comments now such as "why do you have your profile on private?" when it's clear they're snooping for info. As for people saying you can do a search anyways, it doesn't matter. These stalkers aren't the brightest so they would never think of that.

I would also say that saying something wasn't a feature of boards pre transition isn't a great defence considering there were a lot of features on boards pre transition that were removed and we had to get used to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I said at the time that that was ridiculous, it's information voluntarily entered by posters and often wasn't their real location, just something made-up or funny. And so another little part of what made Boards fun was taken away for no reason...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,611 ✭✭✭✭28064212

My two cents, as the developer of the mentioned add-in: IMO Boards are absolutely right not to suggest that mods rely on it. Some of the reasons for that are related to the extension itself: it's not designed for modding, it only works in a subset of browsers, it's not available on mobile.

Separately, there are practical reasons. Boards have no oversight of it: they have no idea if I'm stealing users' data, or have malicious code in it. To verify that I'm not, they'd have to assign a developer to oversee and monitor it, and at that point, they'd be better off using that developer to bring it in-house to begin with. Also, Boards have no guarantees of its longevity whatsoever. I could shut it down tomorrow, and they couldn't do a thing about it. Or I could just "go dark", and they'd have no support if anything on the platform broke it.

Returning profile visibility to what it was prior to the migration is absolutely the most sensible approach

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Private profiles didn't stop people seeing post history. I think you could just put the name in the url, or use the search function and type in the username.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

The anonymity is a nice feature to dissuade those argumentative or accusatory posters from searching peoples entire post history (as they like to do) to shame, blame or use as an argumentative defence, or even retaliation.

I've never understood the need for an open list of every post you've ever made (from the beginning of time) being acccessible to any snoop, non-member, stranger, troll, lurker, spambot, agressor, (or those on your ignore list. for a reason) etc. What good does it do? Having the complete list invisible to the public seems more likely to initiate safe chat rather than leave a poster exposed and vulnerable to undesirable "attention" or negative consequences.

Niamh - the privacy was one of the few positives on vanilla (that and the 'choose your own' avatars is nice too, but I digress), and yes we may have had it work "openly" on the old boards.... But this is a new world - in this current, heightened, sensitive environment where any little thing you say, can (and will) be taken out of context and misinterpreted to suit any offenders agenda... I would think the lessening of privacy REALLY wouldn't be the smart way to go forward.... Well done Boards (not directed at Niamh), for adding yet another reason to be very careful what you say or keep relatively silent on boards, from here on out.

One question please.... Since Vanilla blurs the lines between private forums and open forums (the old boards kept them separate), will the open list of posts also include all historical private forum posts as well? If that is the case, you will surely have a mass exodus, with people (including me) asking for all their posts be erased (not just randomized) and their account info wiped out... Especially given the fact that some of those private forums relied on an element of trust, and having such private data openly shared (with anyone who happens onto your profile) would be a betrayal and violation of the trust we put in Boards, pre-vanilla.

Post edited by Deja Boo on

It already does. Private forum posts show on your profile if your profile isn't on private. I've seen it used to call people out on PI in recent weeks.

Majority of people aren't smart enough to think of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

All the more reason to be able to have the option to set profiles on private and have members post list visible only to themselves and the mods.

Which is why I raised it on here, @Boards.ie: Niamh didn't seem to realise it was happening.

I understand the concerns about PI, RI and I'm still waiting on an answer about those posts being hidden on a user's profile so will reply on that when I can.

Any private forums were made into Groups when we moved to Vanilla in order to maintain their privacy settings so the idea being posted that provate forum posts are or are going to be visble to others is incorrect. Group posts are not visible on a user's profile except to other users who also have access to the same Group.

PI, RI etc. were never private forums. Sex & Sexuality (another one that was mentioned) used to be a subscriber access only forum. However it was very quiet and it was decided to close it and open a new S&S forum for any user to request access, not just subscribers. The first one was closed to preserve the privacy of any user who had previously posted there in the expectation that only subscribers would ever see the content. It is still a private access only Group now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

In fairness iirc, most posters who were genuine, ie not just looking to evade a ban, went on Private because the new site last year was displaying people's emails and old discussions with banking or other services.

I don't mind anyone seeing my posts and if this change makes it easier for mods to do their job, well fair enough.

But I do object to stalkers tracking previously private information and the site has a responsibility to ensure if they remove this privacy option, that it does not give free access to personal information to all and sundry.

If this is not done all that will be left posting on Boards will be one particular group of posters or bots,with no diversity of opinion.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement