Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Market rate is a very niche thing though - it's a rate that maybe 5 clubs (at most) can afford. We still pay high, and increasingly higher, wages. Like, Modric isn't on much more than Thiago in a similar position. And Salah has been offered more than Lewandowski is on. But when you have PSG offering a million a week after tax to a player, with no connection to their actual earnings as a business, there's just no competing with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

From one article I read mane was willing to sign for bayern for a lower salary than Liverpool, maybe there was a signing bonus, honestly if one or two more go elsewhere and don't produce their salary offers will drop even more. He was never being sold for thirty million this year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭boosabum

Have to think the intensity at Liverpool also plays a part. Mane has been magnificent but he may be thinking that seasons of ball breaking effort with 92 and 97 points and no league title just doesn't stack up anymore. Play 3/4 pace in Germany and good chance of winning a title. These guys are human too and football is their job

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

I know, not over it myself. Hard to take when we were obviously the better team and would win that game 7 or 8 times out of 10. But you have to take your chances, cant complain when we don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think there could be an element of this. They busted their guts for the last 4 years finishing 2nd, 1st, 3rd and 2nd with losing the league twice by a point and the one victory coming in a pandemic while also reaching 3 CL finals and winning 1.

City have just gone out and made themselves even stronger by signing Haaland.

As a player who has now won every cup they can with Liverpool you could be thinking the same lines as, do I want to play 100% high intensity again trying to catch Man City and still just fall short or after winning everything I can with Liverpool now head for an easier life in my 30's, earn good money and definitely win more domestic silverware with Bayern Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

James Milner MBE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

interesting discussion on Off the Ball last night with Graham Hunter on how the power has shifted towards some top players now and allowing their contract to run down means they get the signing bonus (retain image rights etc) rather than a club getting a transfer fee (like Mbappe).

I wonder if that is what Salah is up to, hoping we pay him 30m to resign next year rather than signing some other player.

In some ways it makes sense but if it doesn't work the player is effectively taking the opportunity for the club to get a transfer fee...which can be viewed as being ok if player is viewed as a loyal servant who deserves a move but not if they cross the very fine line and piss off fans.

They framed it as the evolution of the Bosman and potential to occur more often.

They pointed out that Victor Valdes tried this, got injured and ended up at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This is going to be the norm for all the top players moving forward. The signing on bonuses they will get offered are insane so why not. Take Salah for example, he's quite happy at Liverpool so he will have no issue staying another season, then this time next year he gets offered up to 40m upfront along with a big contract to go to a new team and challenge to take him into his 30's. Its very hard to temp a player away from something like that, especially since he has won every major honour there is to win at the club. Fans have to start realising that players are not emotionally connected to the club in the same way that they are. It's a career to them, a relatively short one and they will always be looking to seek new challenges, better contracts etc...like any of us in our career. Would any of us hesitate to jump if some other company came in and offered to double our salary's to do the same job for them for the next few years???

A couple of months ago I looked up why you don’t hear about signing bonuses in the premiership. While it’s common in mainland Europe, under UK tax legislation the players can’t be paid a signing bonus, it must be paid out over the duration of the contract. What makes this less appealing to players is that if you leave after 1 yr of a 4 yr contract, you only receive a quarter of the “bonus” whereas in Spain/France/Italy it can be paid lump sum up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I was one of the very few on here, maybe only one, strongly pushing for a starting front 3 of Salah, Bobby and Mane last Saturday. Diaz didn’t show up on the night at all. I think if Klopp had listened to me we would have won. This was a game for experienced pros, and bring on Diaz and Jota when we were 3-0 up after a double including a no-look goal from Bobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

There is no guarantee of getting to Istanbul next season. This year we had the easiest ever route to Paris, Inter, Benfica and Villarreal there will never be easier knockout journey. We are in the top bracket at the moment, but so are City, Madrid, PSG, Chelsea and Bayern. 2 of these 6 teams will be in Istanbul next season so we got a 33.3% chance of getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

I actually wanted this too but didn’t declare it here obviously. Especially after the Southampton match. However Bobby was fairly muck in the wolves match. It would have been great to bring Diaz on after 60 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I think you are being extremely harsh on Diaz by saying he didn't show up. On form Diaz deserved to start. Bobby had not shown any form and played very little prior to the final. As for the game I thought Diaz worked hard and constantly looked to do something with it. He wasn't that effective I agree. Carvajal stuck to him all game and was generally successful in nullifying Diaz with help from Militao and Casemiro. He certainly got a helping hand in that from the ref early doors who should have booked Carvajal early and it might have changed the dynamic of that battle.

It is easy to blame any or all of the front 3 for Saturday since we didn't score but it's not how I saw it. Our main chances were created from individual moments from those 3 players. The team did not perform well in an attacking sense for other reasons. Number one being that both Trent and Robertson were off all game on their distribution and a number of plays and attacks broke down as a result. Our midfield was functional without offering much support in attack. The front 3 were very much reliant on themselves and each other to fashion chances. I would have brought Bobby on for the last 30 mins to replace a midfielder and it would have been to replace Fab. I thought Fab struggled a little and he showed signs he has been out injured for a while. I would have given Tsimikas a run for Robertson also. If we had any alternative on the bench to Trent I would have subbed him off first, probably in the first half. Pity Origi was unavailable.

As a team with the ball we just didn't perform. We had a brief 5-10 minute period in each half in which we put Madrid under pressure, had some chances and looked like scoring. But that was it. Outside of those small windows our passing was slow, our distribution and crossing (particularly from Trent and Robertson) was inaccurate and our general movement was slow. We looked pedestrian. All the hallmarks of a tired team.

Thought Konate had a great game. Covered that space behind Trent very well and dealt well with Vinicius. One of the few times Trent was actually in a position to defend and cover Vinicius Trent failed badly. He really seems to struggle to sense and react to danger.

It was the longest season we could possibly have had and it felt like it was about 5 games too many for this team. It's a pity because those players deserved more reward but that's sport unfortunately.

Kuyt has taken his first steps into management after taking over a team in the Dutch second divison.

A reason Gavi might be leaving Barca and they are stalling on giving him a new contract.

Reports in the media today his mother was having an affair with Pique who was cheating on Shakria.

Pique and the money he brings into Barca through his comapnies are more important to Barca now that any player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Diaz has been very good since he's come in, really hit the ground running, and made a big impact.

However, in many ways, the hard work for him starts now. Teams have had a good chance now to see him operate, and make adjustments to counter his style, for example he loves to cut in on his right foot being a most rudimentary one. He's very raw, and he cannot rely on one or maybe 2 tricks to thrive at the top of the EPL. He looks like a good lad, good attitude and puts in a shift, but he's not a Mane or Bobby replacement yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

All our wide men cut in onto their strong foot though. In fairness to him he's not shy about getting to the end line and pulling the ball back between the penalty spot and the 6 yard box, he's been a bit unlucky not to have more assists.

Jeysus, that's some way to throw your personal and professional life into turmoil in one move!

You'd wonder if fans will start turning on him if it turns out to be true. With all his wheeling and dealing (to great personal gain), he's the sort of character fans might grow to become wary of anyway, let alone riding another one of their outstanding young player's Mom, and cheating on Shakira who seems to be much loved by them.

By all accounts he sees himself as future Barca president. This sort of thing could kill that dream.

Any word on why Jota's not with the Portugal squad? See he's not named in the match against Spain right now... did he pick up an injury or something? Or does he just link up later because of being at the CL final last weekend?

<edit> Nevermind, found a thing saying he only just joined up with the squad yesterday.

• Advertisement

Any other club and that might be true however it's Barca and his billion dollar compaines and his links to the middle east oil money brings the money in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Imagine cheating on Shakira...that old horrible adage "No matter how hot they are someone is sick of their ****" does have some truth to it I guess.

(Could be all bullplop)

Despite him looking like a scruffy stoner, I thought Pique came across well in that interview with Neville on SkyBet. Ambitious fella

Reports coming out now that Mane and his representatives wanted £400k pw to sign a new contract with Liverpool and the club refused to budge on their offer of a lower basic with bonuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Whether or not we all think he is worth it, the club has to be run sustainably. One big pay rise and everyone else wants parity.

The lack of oversight on the finances of City by the PL is the only thing allowing them spend with no limits. If we and other clubs go down the route of chasing those finances, it will lead to ruin. Financial Fair Play has to be implemented correctly sooner rather than later.

Listening to a French journo on OTB earlier in the week he was saying FFP has been watered down so much due to the lobbying of the big clubs that it is pretty much inconsequential. So I wouldn’t be to optimistic that it will reign in spending any time soon. Due to the way Mike Ashley frugally ran NU, they can spend up to £600m this summer, and still be under the FFP cap.

Ambitious, but also seems very conniving and back-stabby. All the stuff with him talking shït about Ramos to Rubiales (president of the Spanish football federation), and forwarding him on private messages from Ramos... and of course all the wheeling and dealing to move the Spanish Supercup final to Saudi Arabia - earning himself a fortune in the process. i'd say he's a man who'll do whatever it takes to get what he wants, no matter who it screws over. Seems like a young Sepp Blatter in the making.

• Advertisement

I see Sterling is back in the papers again, he wouldn’t be a bad replacement for Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mane wants 400k!?

Come on lad.... be realistic

Salah wants 400k a week I don't see why Mane wouldn't want 400k a week.

Then I wouldn't blame VVD, Ali & Fab for wanting 400k a week either.

Considering what they saw United players getting paid for the last 4 years they may have a point of deserving it also!

Apart from confirming the kid from Fulham it's all negative right now with Salah and Mane showing uncertainty every day in the news.

After we lost in 2018 we announced Fabinho a few days later and got us bouncing again. Then Alisson a few weeks later.

Who is going to be the signing this summer to get us bouncing again this year?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You're right. He wouldn't be bad. He'd be terrible. He made his choices.

To be fair to him, we got £50m and at the time he left, it would have been hard to resist the lure of MC as Liverpool were at the beginning of a rebuild. I’ve always thought he would fit well into Klopps system and he seems like a nice guy bar that handbags with Gomez a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can't blame Salah and Mane wanting 400k, they are the best players in the league for years. KDB gets close to that, then you have the likes of Rashford, Sancho and Varane earning more than them. It would stick in me too if I was them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Any signing worth bouncing about would be dependent on Mané leaving.

We all know he's definitely going, but I wouldn't expect a major signing until it happens

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Can't blame them at all.

Whatever about KDB - the other 3......aren't worth 400k between them, that's down to a joke of a financial/general set up at that club. If you offered 500k a week to Salah or Mané to go there, I reckon they'd still wouldn't go.

A lot of smoke and mirrors atm, which is pretty standard for the time of year. I believe we will hear of a few good signings before we hear of 1 of them possibly leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

This is not about football on the pitch this is about money and the running of Barca and Spainish football.

Pique will be footballs first billionaire and his companies are starting to control Spainish football it has nothing to do with Gavi being the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Piques net worth is estimated at 40 - 80 million. A billion is a thousand million.

Ok since you researched his net worth on google maybe you should now research the compines he owns and is also part of and how powerful they are in sport arcoss the world right now and then you might understand.

• Advertisement

Read this and you will see how much power he has in spainish football he wants to run uefa and fifa one day his company also controls davis cup tennis.

His company also do nft's and pool's gerrard is involved with that

The arse has fallen out of the NFT business you have to feel for those that were basically conned into buying them by their heroes and idols putting their names to them and doing the whole these will never lose there vaule sales pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This is a fascinating watch, someone who has literally seen it all over the years...

YouTube link added :

Post edited by Riesen_Meal on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

"Uefa wishes to sincerely apologise to all spectators who had to experience or witness frightening and distressing events in the build-up to the Uefa Champions League final at the Stade de France on 28 May 2022 in Paris, on a night which should have been a celebration of European club football."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

UEFA only speaking up now after Real released a statement so they could no longer blame Liverpool fans

So Mane is leaving because the people of Senegal want him to leave Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Did Mane have a international game that Liverpool prevented him travelling for ? A Mickey Mouse game not a competitive one. I’m curious how he arrived at the 60-70% of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Mane may want to leave, but he still has a contract for a year and if the club does not receive what they feel is an appropriate offer then there is every chance he will play with us next season. Yes we will not want to keep a player against his wishes, but at the same time that doesn't mean he will leave if there isn't a suitable bid in for him.

I am a little irritated by the wording Mane is using. Either he knows the club has already accepted a bid for him, or he is banking on the club allowing him to leave. But it is by no means a given that he will leave. Ask Suarez or Coutinho about leaving Liverpool through the press.

• Advertisement

Did mane have a falling out with klopp this seems like he is forcing his way out of the club and not something you would expect from a player who seemed to love and be loved being there

Advertisement