Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many motorbikes have you owned?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ive the opposite problem to some of ye - only ever bought 3 bikes, and still have 2 of em

04 cbr125r
    08 street triple (bought new)
    05 zx6r (bought 2012)

still own the 675 & 636 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I loved it, the torque was insane. It sounded incredible and put a smile on my face every time I fired it up. I was asked about what it was everywhere I parked up! Very comfortable bike, useable power. The only downside was the terrible fuel economy combined with a tiny fuel tank and lack of a fuel gauge. This caused a good bit of anxiety on longer spins down in west Cork!

Would I have seen it at The Two mile Inn Bar a good few years ago for the toy runs?

blade1 wrote: »
    Would I have seen it at The Two mile Inn Bar a good few years ago for the toy runs?

I only went on one of those, I'm not a fan of biking in those big crowds and usually avoided them. If you shopped in bishopstown you would have seen it.

I only went on one of those, I'm not a fan of biking in those big crowds and usually avoided them. If you shopped in bishopstown you would have seen it.

Yeah I'm the same, I go now and again just for a look at some bikes but hate the actual run.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

galwaytt wrote: »
    Dang you beat me to it:

Too many and yet, and yet.............not enough :)

Seriously, I too had a thing for changing them like mad for years & years, but I've calmed down now.

Bikes in my owership at this stage are: 3 yrs, 14 yrs, 16yrs, 30yrs.

I only ever "loved" a few bikes and sorry I sold them

fzr1000 exup
    rgv250
    cbr400rr

I sold a 929 blade a while back and that was almost as much fun as any of the above, those 3 are all proper classics now, no traction control, anti wheelie or needing a laptop they were old school but most importantly they were fun bikes in fun times, god I miss the 1990's :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

blade1 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm the same, I go now and again just for a look at some bikes but hate the actual run.

Yep, same here, I was in Mannings having a coffee with the wife the other day and a heap of bikes went past heading to Bantry, must have been 20+ She asked me would I like that and I said I never liked large groups.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Yep, same here, I was in Mannings having a coffee with the wife the other day and a heap of bikes went past heading to Bantry, must have been 20+ She asked me would I like that and I said I never liked large groups.

Not only idea of fun at all.
    Usually head for spins on my own as early as possible on b roads while there is no one on them.
    Go for odd spins with sometimes with a mate or a couple of other lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

I'm not much of a group rider myself either.
    I enjoy going down the back roads and enjoying it at my own pace.
    But I also get frustrated easily when out riding and someone wants to stop every 5 minutes for a bloody selfie.

Theres a few bikers I do pop out with, but theyre more into the motorcycle camping and go at a good pace. No crotch rocketry or selfie stops

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

goblin59 wrote: »
    I'm not much of a group rider myself either.
    I enjoy going down the back roads and enjoying it at my own pace.
    But I also get frustrated easily when out riding and someone wants to stop every 5 minutes for a bloody selfie.

Theres a few bikers I do pop out with, but theyre more into the motorcycle camping and go at a good pace. No crotch rocketry or selfie stops

There was a group here in port a few years ago and they use to stop every few km's for a smoke or pose or a chat not really sure. A school boy on a bicycle would go further without stopping. I don't know what they got out of it, my back tyre could be hanging off and I'd be 'ah keep going ' I don't even like stopping for petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

There was a group here in port a few years ago and they use to stop every few km's for a smoke or pose or a chat not really sure. A school boy on a bicycle would go further without stopping. I don't know what they got out of it, my back tyre could be hanging off and I'd be 'ah keep going ' I don't even like stopping for petrol.

Yeah I wouldn't enjoy that at all!
    if the weather is good and there's decent scenery, I'll drive slowly to enjoy it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mamax wrote: »
    I only ever "loved" a few bikes and sorry I sold them

fzr1000 exup
    rgv250
    cbr400rr

I sold a 929 blade a while back and that was almost as much fun as any of the above, those 3 are all proper classics now, no traction control, anti wheelie or needing a laptop they were old school but most importantly they were fun bikes in fun times, god I miss the 1990's :p

I hear ya. Kinda.

But there again I kept my RGV :) Have it 30+ years now 😀

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

goblin59 wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't enjoy that at all!
    if the weather is good and there's decent scenery, I'll drive slowly to enjoy it though.

Proper group riding is a skill in itself. I ride with about 4 different groups, 2 of them are shocking.

The other 2 are like art. Skill, discipline, trust, but 'progress', and safe to boot, even though its sometimes close-quarter riding.

You just need to find a group like that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

-Honda H100S2
    -Yamaha Radian YX600
    -eMax 110S

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

Yeah seen one or two of your bikes there. Did you leave? Whenever I’m there I don’t see many, if any bikes anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

12, I think.
    From an XL125s in 1991, to a Z1000sx today.

One Ducati, one Yamaha, along the way, but mostly Hondas and Kawasakis. Never had a Suzuki.

Not sure where next, very happy with the SX.

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    Yeah seen one or two of your bikes there. Did you leave? Whenever I’m there I don’t see many, if any bikes anymore

I'm still there, a few of the lads have bikes but not as many anymore. I'm turning into a fair weather biker though so if it's raining I'm taking the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

I'm still there, a few of the lads have bikes but not as many anymore. I'm turning into a fair weather biker though so if it's raining I'm taking the car.

You’re like myself. Won’t dare venture out on the bike in the rain. I usually tend to avoid your work place in a car as that car park is manic

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

Here’s mine:

2003 Yamaha Dragstar 125
    2007 Honda Shadow 750
    2010 Triumph Street Triple R
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
    2016 Triumph Speed Triple R (current)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Group rides are better imo, once you're riding with the right group.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

2000 Honda CBR250RR (1989) - my learner bike. My one and only crash and write off. Loved it.

2001 Suzuki RF400 (1996) - Beautiful looking bike but was just a bit of a whale.

2002 Suzuki SV650s - It's an sv650s. What more do you need to say? Cracking bike.

2004 Suzuki SV1000s - Crazy bike. Nearly got myself in trouble sooo many times.

2008 BMW R1200GS - Mile muncher. Kept it for nearly 10 years and put 100k miles on the clock. By the end, it felt like an extension of me.

2017 Honda VFR 1200 - Another beautiful whale. Lovely bike if you were always touring, just not great if you're commuting in heavy traffic 5 days a week.

2018 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer - Love this one as much as the R1200GS. Bike that really suits me, but can still hit the rev limiter on occasion.

Next up: maybe an MT-10 - potentially around 2018. I kind'a know I shouldn't, and may regret it, but sure, life is too short for regrets. 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Honda 50

Honda H100

Yamaha RD125

Yamaha RXS100

Suzuki RG125 fun

Yamaha RD350 YPVS

Yamaha TZR125

Honda VFR400

Kawasaki ZXR 750 J1

Kawasaki ZX9R B4

Yamaha R1 98 x 2

Honda CR250

Aprilia RSV 1000R 01

Aprilia RSVR 1000 06

Yamaha R1 08

Honda Fireblade 95 Urban tiger

Honda CRF250

Honda CRF450

Aprilia RSVR 1000 04

Kawasaki ZX12R

Honda SP1 01

KTM RC8 2011

Yamaha R1 09

KTM 990 superduke

KTM 950 SMR

Suzuki RMZ450 08

Ducati 1098s (still have)

Kawasaki ZZR1400

Ducati 1100s hypermotard 09 (still have)

Aprilia Rs250 1998 mk2 (still have)

Aprilia Rs250 1995 mk1 Chesterfield (still have)

Husqvarna te310r 2013 (still have)

Honda fireblade urban tiger 1995 (still have)

That's from 1995 to present day, some I wished I had kept judging by the money they are worth today!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nice 2-stroke to 4-stroke progression there.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Only 2 im afraid

1987 to 90 Bought New from M&A north strand

Suzuki GSX 250E

And my present horse after a 35 year gap

kawasaki Versys 650

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@flashinthepan , what was it like getting back on after such a long time? Much bigger and faster bike than you'd had, too... but the throttle works both ways, as they say 😊

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

😁 I used to change bikes regularly but after selling the SP1 I deeply regretted it afterwards, it had only 4k miles on the clock and was mint, so I've gone a bit too far the other direction now, if I think anything might be collectable in the future, I hold onto it!

I agree, but I couldn't resist, the mk 2 is really clean, but the mk1 is a basket case that I'm currently (very slowly) restoring, it was cheap (that's how I justify it to myself anyway) and I always idolised the Chesterfield 250 when I was riding around on 100cc bikes but it was always out of reach

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

KH250

TDR250

Pegaso 650

SFV650

Advertisement