Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

I can’t imagine personally that Spurs would be willing to pay anything like the figures reported. (I’ve seen €1m and €700k mentioned.) as you say, hard to believe. On Sam Curtis, does he have to stay with us until he’s 18 ? If so I reckon he could be our biggest ever t4ansfer earner, if he keeps progressing at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If he wants to go to the UK he'll have to wait until he's 18. Can sign for a club in Europe before that though.

Nottingham Forest eyeing up Smallbone as a possible replacement for James Garner whose only on loan.

Wouldn't be a bad move for Smallbone who needs to get out of Southampton. While injuries have held him back mostly he's only gonna be seen as a back up player at Southampton. A fresh start somewhere else could be what he needs where he's seen as first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

20 years ago today.

.............................Bazunu

.................Collins - Duffy - Egan

Coleman - Hendrick - Hourihane - McClean

............Ogbene - Robinson - Knight

GK and CBs pick themselves I feel

Coleman will move back to RWB seeing as we named five CBs in the squad. Though one concern is he came into the squad with a groin twinge and four games in ten days will probably be too much for him even if fully fit. Could start Christie to keep Coleman fresh for other games but you want to start strong and Armenia will put up a fight.

LWB is a toss of the coin and if McClean starts then Stevens probably starts the next game and vice versa I feel. I feel McClean might start this game.

Think Hourihane might get the nod to partner Hendrick in midfield since he started against Lithuania, but could see Molumby also getting the nod over him because he'll bring more energy into midfield which will be lost without Cullen. With Knight starting and dropping back I think he'll go with Hourihane.

Can't see him changing the front three that finished the Luxembourg game so strong and started against Belgium. Will be up to Obafemi to force his way into the starting XI over the four games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Under 21s need to prove they can live up to expectations this coming weekend and secure at least a playoff by the end of Monday night

Hope I'm wrong but have my doubts about us doing it. Feel Bosnia and Montenegro could surprise us with Montenegro already having a win over us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Would agree with that, it's a great opportunity for us to get to a playoff at least but have a feeling we are going to mess it up somewhere.

Trying to watch the 19s here, stream not 100% doing it for me, but it's notable how many players we have playing senior football even at that age group. Abankwah, Curtis, Ryan, Vaughan, Murphy, Hakiki, O'Mahony all playing senior football this season. Compared to say 5 years ago when it was all academy players in England. Hopefully will stand to us.

Am I right in thinking Sweden won't get any points in there game against Luxembourg due to them been the bottom ranked team ?

How would we be fixed if we get the usual irish draw ?

• Advertisement

As far as I'm aware, if Sweden finish second ahead of us we are gone. Results against the bottom ranked team only count towards determining the best 2nd placed team.

Presuming Sweden beat Luxembourg, a draw is not much use to us against Montenegro or Bosnia. We would then have to beat Italy away.

That feeling for me is Jim Crawford. It's probably not gonna happen now and money was probably the reason but we really should have tried to replace Kenny with someone else who also had some experience in the senior game.

Man has less experience than Mohan and O'Brien but gets the job of being over the oldest underage team where lads are already breaking or trying to break into the senior teams of their clubs.

Good to see Mohan, who should have gotten the 21s job if promoting from within unless he turned it down, keep with the three at back formation he used back in March. Was wondering how we'd line up because on paper you had four lads that could have been CB, John Ryan and Alex Murphy are fullbacks so was thinking Curtis to play in midfield with Grehan, Abankwah, and Nevin as a back three.

Seems Alex Murphy played in midfield alongside Harry Vaughan, who I've seen some saying had a very good game. Hopefully they've finally sorted out his paperwork as has been involved with us now about a year but only played non competitive games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We’re playing Scotland next week. Football wise not much to worry about. Should be prepared for how nasty and aggressive they are though especially if we go ahead of them. That McGinn is a bit of a thug.

Sweden 3-0 winners over Luxembourg in the Under 21 tonight

We need no **** about from us now tomorrow and Monday. Must win games

Yeah it's where the game against them will be won or lost is that midfield battle. If they overrun us in midfield we're fucked.

• Advertisement

6/6pts this weekend and Sweden have to beat Italy in their final game to qualify. 4/6pts and we'll need Italy to beat Sweden to have us both tied on 17pts and we'll finish second because of head to head results. Mathematically we could still qualify even if we picked up less than four points but you're lighting a candle and saying a prayer at that stage for Italy to beat Sweden and actually getting a result away to Italy.

Also looks like Crawford will be without Cashin for tomorrow as he's still not registered as of this morning and unless they got it done today and said nothing so far he won't be selected tomorrow. And if they still haven't got him registered by the end of day tomorrow he misses Mondays game as it's bank holiday weekend. Some talk it's an issue with the passport office holding it up.

It's good news for Cullen. The drop off from Cullen is massive so it's good to have him available. Hopefully like Azerbaijan away we can get a couple of earlier goals and maybe take off a player or two with four games in ten days.

Hopefully Obafemi gets decent minutes through the centre for us this window. Looks our best bet of being that goal scoring CF we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We’ll need to meet him, head on. He’s not that brilliant.

Ah I see, I didn't realise that it wasn't totally in our own hands (well it is, but only if we win all 3 games) I thought two wins would guarantee a playoff. If Sweden were to win at home to Italy then we would also need to beat them away? Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Regarding tomorrow, good news that Cullen is fit. I wonder is he nailed on to start? I read that he was not going to meet the squad until after the Armenia game due to the suspension, so presumably he has not been training with them the last few days. Its a big ask to start him in all four games too. Would love to see Obafemi get on the scoresheet over the next few games.

Yeah basically it comes down to what happens between Sweden and Italy, as long as we pick up at least 4/6pts. Though two wins is really gonna be what's needed as Sweden has already drawn with Italy away from home and Italy know they'll top the group with 4/9pts from their three remaining games. Could send the U15s over to Sweden as they only need to pick up a point against us to top the group.

No he's been with the squad for a few days now. He pops up in the FAI video of the training session they posted a few days ago. Yeah it's gonna be a grueling window for him given how much we depend on him in midfield and he's had a long season.

Genuinely excited to see how Obafemi gets on in these games. Finished the season so strongly for Swansea and will have a point to prove along with impressing some clubs that are interested in him. Brighton being one that was named as showing some interest.

• Advertisement

Hopefully we see them continue to use three at the back tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Great that this is on TV tonight, looking forward to it

It's also another opportunity for the lad to maybe put himself in the shop window with the situation at Derby still not sorted. Similar with Knight who'll be out to impress and get himself a decent move this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rte I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

rte2 7.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Best of luck to both team over weekend. Hopefully a positive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Have two spares for 21s v Montenegro on Monday if anyone's interested? Free to a good home. Can transfer via Ticketbastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Best way to find three tickets together for the Scotland game? I know there's still some on TicketMaster but it's only premium and €96 per person is a bit too rich for my blood. Keeping an eye on Adverts and the like but it's invariably pairs.

• Advertisement

You never like to see lads get released but this is a positive for him and can hopefully get a decent move to get his career back on track.

We were getting a scare a few years ago about this lad that he was going to decide to play for England

He's still young and hopefully can get a good move. Sometimes been part of the 'big' clubs is the not the best move

Back to 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, no Cashin on the bench either which is strange if he's actually eligible to play in tonight's game.

Lets hope Johnny Kenny hasn't made the same mistake, and Bosun Lawal. Fair enough Kenny had his injury that ruled him out after he'd moved so hopefully we see him with the first team or gets a proper loan next season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nice goal by Smallbone.

Playing well enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Xander10

Read some talk of Smallbone going to Nottingham Forest on loan. Would be a decent move if true and he gets more first team action.

Kenny Cunningham would do your **** head in though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Don’t like the orange jersey - much prefer white

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

I haven’t been that impressed. Passing not great at times and we haven’t really created much. Having said that Odubeko should have scored with his header at 0-0.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Odubeko doesn't look that impressive. Kilkenny and Coventry and the lads at the back doing well enough

Poor enough crowd. I thought there might be a bit more interest

Living on the edge now

Great goal from Odubeko there, nice vision from Kilkenny to get the move going.

Against the run of play but that should be the first win of the weekend wrapped up.

Was that's the same player that Evan Ferguson folded in half again 😂

• Advertisement

That'll do it

How does Jim Crawford do it? Another poor performance, yet we've found ourselves 3-0 up.

Pub I'm in has Belgium vs Holland on but following U21s on the phone. Nice result but still have work to do in this campaign and a win Monday. Ignore all the plaudits as Montenegro have beat us before

BTW Holland Could be dark horses in the world cup. Look very impressive

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement