Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Thanks! Will sign up for .de account so

• Registered Users Posts: 38,415 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hotel prices in Dublin are so high, Pearse Doherty told the Dáil today, that some Bruce Springsteen fans from Sligo found it cheaper to book a flight to Rome to see him perform there next year instead 😲

Telling the Dáil about a man named Stephen who had called Ocean FM about his predicament, Doherty said:

“He explained that the cost to see Bruce Springsteen and to stay in Dublin for a night was so expensive that he looked at alternatives.

“He found that it's €200 cheaper for the concert ticket, the flight and a night in Rome than it is to travel up the road to Dublin and stay a night here in a hotel after the concert.

“So Stephen and his friends are flying off to Rome to see Bruce Springsteen in the Circus Maximus instead of the RDS, replacing one circus from another.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm very angry about a fake caller to a radio show, very angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oddly enough a mate of mine is ending up going to Rome and said it'll be cheaper than Dublin if he had to stay overnight on top of the gig

I've looked into it, neither Ryanair or aer Lingus have flights available for next may, and pit tickets are more expensive than standing in Dublin (GA is cheaper)

Hotels are cheaper though, but if they're claiming it's 200 per person they are talking out their hoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

At least you can get a holiday out of it though, helps justify the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Always go to mainland Europe where possible. If I didnt live in Dublin I would every time. Have never done a holiday in Ireland and never will. The hospitlity can go fúck themselves after the rip off staycation prices last year.

As for 200 quid cheaper.

Dublin - Tickets €131, Hotel €320 minimum.

Rome - Tickets €115, Flights €80 return (depending obviously, sometimes even cheaper but Im going in August and got flights for that), Hotel €130 ish (could get one for less than €100 if you're willing to travel a bit on the underground)

So yeah. €460 ish for Dublin vs €300 ish for Rome. And you can make it a weekend away in one of the best cities on the planet.

Also its guaranteed to piss down for at least one of the Dublin shows. If it were this year all 3 would've been raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,222 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There is accommodation cheaper than 320 in Dublin if you are lucky enough to be going in a group. You could get an Airbnb for 3 or 4 for that price.

Also to get to Rome practically everyone outside of Dublin has the hassle of having to go to Dublin cause of our stupid airports

Agreed but a lot of people aren't in a group. A lot of people travel around solo. Saw on the Bruce forums a lot of Americans skipping Dublin due to the hotel prices. Not a good look.

Oh I'm not defending Dublin. The whole thing has been a bit of a shock for me too but 320 minimum is over the top. On a quick search I have found 109, 170 and plenty round 200. Still more expensive than Italy but not when you factor all the travel costs.

To be honest as well I have limited sympathy for Americans traveling to Europe to see Springsteen.

• Advertisement

There are people who will go to every show. I met a woman in the RDS before and it was her 48th show of that tour.

People leaving gigs early to drive overnight to the next city so they can get #1 in the queue etc. Total losers.

Well I have absolutely utterly 0 sympathy for someone who can afford to do that.

Unless of course you have some sort of obsessive mental condition all I can say is boo hoo who if you can afford that kind of nonsense but have to miss Dublin and also swanning round taking tickets from people who would be lucky to see him once.

They're mental yeah. Real nasty fuckers too if someone walks ahead of them at the front before the gig.

Attack in groups "WE'VE BEEN HERE SINCE 3AM"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I heard about those years ago. Are they still like that? Supposedly massive sense of entitlement. That they are his only fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

2nd Amsterdam gig announced and seems to be sold out already, next Friday June 10th, Barcelona the 1st, gig goes onsale, with a 2nd likely, so looks like a drip feed of more additional gigs to come, and UK & Belgium yet to be announced yet.

Couldn't do something like that myself. Surly must get boring seeing the same show over and over

A load of bands have these 'mega fans' who as was siad would turn fairly nasty if there experience is ruined. It's an ego thing for sure in there own 'fanclub world'

Thats it in a nutshell, “sense of entitlement”, met several of these types when going to see some U2 gigs in Europe, but many bands have them, i stayed- well away

I saw him in Belfast in 2013 and got a pit pass, when he came on for the acoustic preshow i was greeted with a tap on the shoulder and a question "what number are you", cue a blank stare from me, apparently their number meant that they should be allowed cut in front of me. They seemed very confused when I laughed in their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yep I used to go out with a girl who's parents were these type of people. Bizarre sense of entitlement where their sense of worth seemed enshrined in them having seen Bruce more than the next guy.

That number thing you mentioned rang a bell. I laughed (internally) when I heard of that self governening nonsense from them. They give themselves numbers when queueing and believe they have a right to enforce it because "they're his real fans". Sad, really.

• Advertisement

U2 have these cretin fans aswell yeah.

Saw them attack some poor couple at a Bruce show once who took "their" spot when they went to the toilet. Really batshit. From happy and smiley to a full on childish tantrum on the flip of a coin and others joined in too.

A rare occassion as they usually dehydrate themsevles all day so dont need to go to the toilet.

At Glastonbury in 2009 they were there at 7am sat at the barrier. Stayed there all day.

Self policing to ensure that the people who queued the longest have the best spots but can still eat and pee before the gig- No problems, work away.

Thinking having 456 written on your hand means to can buy a beer and a t shirt and can then wander in front of people who got their spot already - fcuk all the way off, write a number on your hand, wait 3 days and then fcuk off again.

Someone on a recent tour left a Glasgow gig before the encore, drove down to Coventry overnight to get #1 in the queue for a gig 2 days later, wrote #1 on his arm, fucked off for 24 hours and came back the morning of the gig and walked up to the front of the queue. And then did the same for London.

This is the sort of imbecile were dealing with up front at Bruce shows.

I’ve no issue with someone who q’s up all day, they deserve to be first in.

But its the people who rock up, having NOT queed up all day with this totally unofficial number on their hand

- “you have number “1” on your hand”, well brother, that means jack **** to me, as i have “-1” on my hand and have not seen you in the q for the last 4 hours.

on a slightly different tangent :

I was at a Fleetwood Mac at 3 arena a few years back, wanted to get up close, q’d up maybe 3 hours before doors opened,only a handful there, as only a tiny standing area, got to the rail, all good. About 10 minutes before band came on, a security guard came up and said to a few of us “we would have to move”, i said we’ve been here for a few hours, he had 3 ladies with him all done up, holding flutes of champagne, he said, ye’l have to move, “these are VIP’s”, i said well, i am not moving, we have been here for a few hours with a few others, and i definitely did not see these people th ere at the time !

He left us alone !

Not sure if true but Lindsey Buckingham likes having attractive looking blondes in front of him in the crowd when he's on stage

I couldn’t care less, who they were, they would have had to drag me away !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Though Chris and Stevie are getting on in years these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I think the €96 tickets are for uncovered tiered seating at the very back of the Arena and furthest from the stage. It is seating for spectators behind the goals for Rugby matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not all mine are in Anglesea Stand, not far from the stage, block D

• Advertisement

Obstructed view more than likely

Those stands behind the goals are taken away for concerts etc

Advertisement