Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lunchtime pints while working

• 03-06-2022 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Is this a lost art, do people still partake ? I just had a couple which is a rare thing for me but the situation called for it today. Dying to get out now for a few after work(and possibly call my boss a b***h ! I'm an office worker btw, years ago when i was in Australia working in a timber yard it was common practice, as it was here in Ireland before the big C

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Holy hour. Lock in. Those were the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,947 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still seems to be very normal in London in tech, media and finance based on what my former colleague there were up to.

Really uncommon in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Have only experienced it as normal, and acceptable, when working “off site” up north.

Frowned upon down here, unless it’s around Christmas time.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

very rare and its not hard to see why, most people are pretty much useless work wise after a few drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,007 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

never heard it as being a thing here.

in France it’s very commonplace however.

the canteen I worked in, in a job there had about 4 different wines as well as bottles of beer and a draught self serving machine. You just put your plastic glass underneath and held the button pressed…

most jobs here the contract would prohibit it… it’s commonplace to stipulate a 10 or 11 gap between last drink and commencement of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭thefallingman

that's my usual experience too, funny though as l1011 said it's normal in London, as it was in Australia for me. Is it because we'd take the pis* and get rubbered instead of having 2 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It does happen, but it seems to be pretty rare these days.

Most people I know of wouldn't even think of it, I knew a few that'd do it/did it semi-regularly - more than one of those had problems with booze. Not trying to generalise that if you have a pint on your lunch that you are automatically an alco, but, in my own experience, many people who did it regularly were also problematic drinkers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Liquid lunch? how bad sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I think there's been an uptick in popularity since remote working has come in. I've taken the laptop for lunch on a friday, ate and had a few points, a did a few hours in the back corner before packing it up at half 4 or 5, supping a few pints through the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Used to work for an English company and was surprised to see my collegues ordering pints when we'd go for lunch, naturally had to join them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

eh it wasnt a common thing in ireland before covid? for all the bullshit other countries talk about our drinking, we're one of those that don't have a culture of accepting people drinking alcohol at lunch during a workday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

myself and the two guys i work with go for a few during lunch hour, not every day but usually thursdays and fridays. gets you in the mood for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Did similar during the 00s. Once a week on Friday lunchtime pint with food. We kept it to one though.

@sprucemoose a bit uptight are we ? ! It was in my circles relax it’s meant to be a lighthearted thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That’s it. If management here hear you were drinking at lunchtime it would raise questions.

I don’t know about you but if I have 4 pints at lunch and then have to go back to work I’d be falling asleep.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mrperty2011

Remember part time job with supermarket in late 90s. Store lads would go for pints for lunch across the road. Then drive the forklift in afternoon. It was normal back then. They where always red at the gills!

Ha ha that was me in Australia, lads standing on the forks getting lifted up and down aswell !!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

I could never return to the office after a few scoops at lunchtime. Well I could but I couldn't do sh1t. The taste of the beer in my mouth would just make me want another pint and sitting in front of a computer I'd be all drowsy and docile. As part of the IT team in an office in NYC we used to all go for lunch and pints on a friday in an Irish pub in Manhattan and then return to the office all lethargic. So we upped our game and instead of going at 12:30/13:00 we'd hold off until about 14:00 and then redirect the dept phone number to the mobile and then bring the laptop to the pub and just stay there for the rest of the day. Rarely did anything require any intervention. If someone called with a non-urgent issue we'd just make a note of it and tell them it would be sorted by Monday. Then back to the pool table.

Incidentally, I wouldn't fancy doing any kind of manual work like your timber yard gig with a few beers in me. I can hold my drink I just can't do anything that requires good eye to hand coordination (except pool or table football). I wouldn't even egt on a chair to change a lightbulb after I've had 2 beers. I'd be afraid I'd crash to the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Used to do it back in 2000/2001. Few pints with pub grub on Friday (payday). Back im the office at 2 and back out the door to the pub by 4.30.

Saying that you'd get 3 pints for a tenner back then...ahh the good ol days

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mrperty2011

Yeh I’d be packing shelf’s so get lift on pallet to pull out detergents . Stores tiny. No health and safety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Also it's quite common in Bavaria (though not in other parts of Germany). I was surprised to see men in suits at the Munich main railway station at 8:00am having breakfast which consisted of sausages and a big tall glass of Weissbier. But in Dusseldorf where I work for a while there was a zero alcohol policy at the office. In Belgium most office canteens are very well appoointed and beer and wine are available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As others have said it's a big thing in the UK with office workers.

As I young lad working in pubs in London I always wanted to get one in The City.

Packed at lunchtime and after work up till about 8pm, closed at 9pm and all day Saturday and Sunday.

A good mass transit system helps that sort of culture, people not having to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nah man, it's not common to have a clause stipulating a 10 or 11 hour gap between last drink and commencement of work in a contract here in Ireland. Maybe in a safety critical role such as a train driver or pilot but such clauses certainly aren't widespread here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

There's plenty of useless ones even without a drink at lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭enricoh

Worked in a factory in Germany one summer n it had a beer machine. All the Germans would have 1 or 2 with their lunch. That concept was lost on the paddies!! So much so the night shift threatened to down tools as the beer machine was empty every night for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

We did that too. Team leaders were aware but it was very much don't f*ck it up, so only usually one drink , maybe two for the more seasoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

In the UK sure, did it many times

Never ever did it Dublin. For all the taking about Irish and drinking it just is not done

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

It was quite common when I worked in the UK. Nobody took any notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Common in New York among construction workers and others

actually among alot of americans

Drink working / driving was part of the culture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I did it when I was in a job I hated, the mistakes I made at work after were ridiculous lol I don't regret it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Common when I started office work in the 90s. Friday lunchtime - payday - we'd all head to the pub, maybe 3 pints and a sandwich (or maybe just a packet of peanuts). Back to work for 2-ish. Four o'clock, all back over to the pub!

I've had a personal treat thing the last 12 years or so - Friday lunchtime, I still try to get to the pub for a bite to eat (a decent lunch these days!) and a pint. Just the one, though. No stamina any more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

As mentioned a couple of times it's common enough in Oz. I was in hospitality there and a lot of us would go for a couple. Had a lot of construction workers come in at lunchtime aswell. I left a few years ago but places were cracking down on it. One thing I never understood though was I heard of people being disciplined even sacked for 1 or 2 lunchtime beers yet people on complete benders till 4 or 5am then waddle in at 9 completely under the weather we're just laughed at. Those people would've had much more alcohol in their system but because they were passed out for a couple of hrs it was no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭kerryjack

The whole drinking culture in Ireland is gone in the small towns anyway no body out in the evening after work, never mind midday, wouldn't be fit for much myself anyway after a few pints, back in the old days when they were building the towns and the streets and the blocks of houses the first thing they built was the pub in the corner for the workers and the rest of the street got built after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Was common enough back in the days when drink driving was not a big deal .I worked in places where a couple of pints during lunch hour was common enough . Your career proberly wouldn't last long now if you had a pint during lunch regardless what job you were doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Worked in a telecoms company in the early 00’s and it wasn’t unusual to have a pint or two with lunch. It’s frowned upon where I am now but I’ve still taken the lappy to the local a few times for a steak and pint 😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

I think lunch time beers Is a good thing

where I work it happens every day with some workers. not frowned upon.

all that matters is you bring in your sales

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Worked for a company in Dublin in the mid 00's where Friday lunchtime pints were common. Even senior management partook. But it was an absolute no no Monday to Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There was a episode of Time Team a number of years ago where they did an archeological dig on an industrial revolution era railway works in the north of England.

One of the team had to live and work as a railway labourer, a naviee, for a few days .

He was pissed by lunchtime the first day, the amount of beer that was part of the standard diet for that type of workers at the time was too much for him.

Advertisement