Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

How can anyone say they're wrong when there's no data? You certainly can't say they're right, now can you?

And the quote you give, is about perception of the messaging. Nothing about the vaccine safety. Do you agree? If not can you provide the data where they raise concerns about vaccine safety? Hint: you can't, because they don't. But, don't let me stop you.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭hometruths

Ok, in their opinion, a group of experts, there has been a "lack of full transparency in COVID-19 clinical trial data as well as shifting data on adverse effects, such as blood-clotting events, myocarditis and altered menstrual periods"

And they have referenced two BMJ pieces to back up that opinion.

A concern about lack of transparency on adverse effects is definitely a concern about vaccine safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

No, it petered out because you started to ignore questions you couldn't answer honestly.

Like how you just avoided the questions I asked you.

Lol. That wasn't my argument man. Complete misrepresentation. Total dishonesty and hypocrisy.

You are claiming that the experts you disagree are giving a false explanation.

I point out that this leads to only two possibilities. Either you are suggesting that they are wrong, or you are suggesting they are deliberately lying.

I point out that in the first option, it must be that they are suggesting something so blatantly wrong that you, an untrained rando can tell it's wrong. This would mean that somehow, you with zero training and understanding, know more than experts.

This is clearly not possible or a plausible explanation.

Do you believe that these experts are simply wrong and you know more than them?

You've been asked this many times before, but you refuse to answer.

I think this is because you actually believe that they are deliberately lying as part of a conspiracy, but you don't want to admit as much as you still want to pretend not to be a conspiracy theorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I can find doctors and experts and papers that say vaccines are dangerous.

Are they? No. All you are doing is trawling through a mountain of info and cherry-picking only that which "seems" to suit your particular personal narrative.

Which is what close to 100% of conspiracy theorists do. It's disengenuous. But you know that and we know that, and the act continues ;)

If you believe that they are just straight lying, we can't explain it to you.

If you believe that you, an untrained rando antivaxxer is somehow just smarter than them, we can't really explain it to you either.

Do you believe what the experts are saying in the BMJ article I posted is credible?

If not, why not? Do you believe, that you an untrained rando pro-vaccine advocate is somehow just smarter than them?

• Advertisement

By all means trawl through the BMJ article and cherry pick the bits that don't seem to suit my personal narrative. There aren't many.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

It should say urgent warning to all people of all ages....who've taken an experimental gene therapy!

By all means trawl through the internet to find op-ed pieces based on no data that support your vague contrarian position.

You've highlighted studies before which you have misinterpreted. Okay. They've been explained to you. By multiple posters. With clear disclaimers by the authors. But you still don't "get" them. You also happen, by a remarkable coincidence, to have a contrarian position that relies on you not getting them :)

lol dude, I asked you a question. Answer it please.

I don't know if the experts in the BMJ article are credible. I didn't bother to read it because it's simply you trying to deflect to a new tangent to avoid the uncomfortable questions you are afraid of.

They probably are very credible, but you are most likely misrepresenting them and their position as you have done so in the past with other experts.

Buzzer, no one's taking you seriously. You're embarrassing the other conspiracy theorists.

Does it not bother you at all that they all keep ignoring you?

• Advertisement

You've highlighted studies before which you have misinterpreted. Okay. They've been explained to you. By multiple posters. With clear disclaimers by the authors.

This is totally untrue, and no matter how many posters claim this has happened does not simply make it true.

I have highlighted the UK case rate data which show that the vaccinated are contracting covid at higher rates than the unvaccinated over a period of about 6 months. This is not a study, open to (mis)interpretation, it is data that is not in dispute.

What is in dispute is the comprehensive explanation given why you cannot use the data as a measure of vaccine effectiveness.

I have quoted that comprehensive explanation and explained why I do not find it to be credible. Nobody has actually countered the claim about that specific explanation.

They probably are very credible, but you are most likely misrepresenting them

I quoted them word for word!

For example, the following speaks for itself:

Significant public concerns about safety signals and pharmacovigilance have been furthered by the lack of full transparency in COVID-19 clinical trial data as well as shifting data on adverse effects, such as blood-clotting events, myocarditis and altered menstrual periods

You forgot the rest of the article. Very slimy and dishonest altogether ;)

Women under 40 are increasingly dying of a sudden killer disease, a campaigner has warned.

Blood clots can occur in people of any age and strike those who are seemingly fit and healthy.

Data from Scotland show an unusual spike in the rates of deaths caused by blood clots in the past five years.

The information was requested by Gordon Mcpherson – a dad from Renfrewshire whose daughter died of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) at the age of 23.

There were a total of 73 deaths in under 40-year-old women between 2002 and 2006 where a blood clot was the underlying cause.

This rose to 81 in the five years leading up to the COVID pandemic, The Herald reported. 

This was despite a drop to 44 deaths between 2008 and 2012.

Although the numbers are small, they do not fit with the overall trend for women of all ages.

There were 684 deaths from blood clots in the female population in 2002, which almost halved to 361 in 2019.

The figure jumped up again in 2020, to 446, in relation to the Covid pandemic, as the coronavirus can cause blood clotting.

That's nice.

Answer my question now please.

Or explain why you keep dodging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Word for word should've included the preceding sentence:

The public interpretation of these policies has occurred within the context of the rapidly changing pandemic. Oftentimes, public announcements and media coverage have oversimplified, struggled to communicate potential adverse events (including a potentially higher risk in the convalescent)49 and overstated vaccine efficacy on transmission. 

So, again, they're talking about policy not vaccines. Do you understand that now? The whole point of this paper - and it seems very legitimate - is that vaccination policy (mandates, passports, etc.) are not to be taken lightly and have unintended consequences. But, no data about vaccine safety. Nor any FUD about the vaccines themselves, just some gripes about the messaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You conceded because you acknowledged their effectiveness and have since been unable to counter any arguments, your approval arguments was undermined directly by yourself.

The only way you can fail to concede is to point at evidence that the approval of all vaccines that ever existed was flawed (as 0% of vaccines are 100% effective) and as that doesn't exist, you can no longer argue your point effectively.

The crux of my approval argument is that the vaccines were approved specifically to prevent symptomatic infection and not to reduce the severity of symptomatic infections/hospitalisations/deaths etc. Whilst undoubtedly the hope was that they would have a positive effect on the reducing the severity of breakthrough cases, there was not enough data at time of approval to know this conclusively. Either way it was a moot point, because at time of approval it was expected that the vaccines would be effective enough at stopping symptomatic infection, to make severity of symptoms irrelevant.

That argument stands irrespective of whether the vaccine effectiveness at preventing symptomatic infection is 5% or 95%.

You then have to prove that the vaccines were approved under different criteria to other vaccines (which they weren't) as all vaccines have breakthrough cases.

You are misunderstanding how the approval was given, I have explained it to you in minute detail that a baby could understand (similar with the voluntary case reports that you're still hung up on) and you still are no closer to understanding than you were many months ago when you were on the COVID forum getting all ranty about not getting your second jab.

• Advertisement

I have explained to you in simple enough terms that a five year old could understand:

1) The vaccines were approved with the goal of preventing symptomatic infection.

2) This is why vaccine failure is defined as a symptomatic infection.

Symptomatic covid = vaccine failure.

You need to show how the approval for these vaccines were different to other vaccines or show that there wasn't any symptomatic cases from other approved vaccines.

That is impossible for you to do, thus you have conceded that point.

This can't be dumbed down for you any further.

You need to show how the approval for these vaccines were different to other vaccines or show that there wasn't any symptomatic cases from other approved vaccines.

That is impossible for you to do, thus you have conceded that point.

I need to show this to prove what point exactly? The approval for these vaccines was different to other vaccines because they were granted emergency use approval before all trials were completed. Do you need proof of that or do you accept that as fact?

The conditional marketing approval doesn't change what they were approved to do.

You need to show that the vaccines were approved for a different reason to other vaccines.

I know this is impossible because they weren't.

I know other vaccines had vaccine failures because they did.

Thus your point is conceded.

We can then move onto explaining what a controlled vs. uncontrolled environment is 1 query at a time (hence the question about spoonfeeding earlier).

I have no problem with spoonfeeding if it helps us understand each other.

Spoonfeed me this, for the avoidance of doubt so I can understand your position:

You are saying that the Covid vaccines were approved to specifically to reduce the severity of symptoms? Yes or No?

And if yes, was this approval based on trial data that demonstrated effectiveness at reducing the severity of symptoms? Yes or No?

Two simple yes or no questions, are you prepared to spoonfeed me the answers?

Lol speaking of yes or no questions...

Any chance you'll be going back to address mine? Or going to explain why you're dodging it?

Also while you're at it, was the approval any different from the approval of other vaccines, yes or no?

You have backed yourself into a corner and denying that state doesn't change anything. Your entire "approved to specifically to reduce the severity of symptoms" spiel is completely from your utter inability to understand how the approval systems work.

For you to have any way to progress this argument you need to show that other vaccines don't have failures and need to show that the approval for all vaccines process is wrong (which it isn't, you just don't understand it).

Now, of course you won't back down, because you're stubborn, but you have brought yourself to the end of a path with no turns other than to keep shouting lies and hope that others don't notice that your arguments are a complete nonsense (which everybody realises, bar that lad who's posting facebook memes).

I have given you the ways to advance your argument further, which means you need to go and research (no spoonfeeding here) the approval systems for all other vaccines and show where the SARS-COV2 vaccine approval had a flaw.

With that, we can now go onto controlled and uncontrolled data.

Do you understand the difference between them and can you give an example so we know that you understand it? (I have provided examples already and the one example you provided implied you didn't understand as it wasn't a controlled situation).

One logically out for him could be to claim that there's no such things as vaccines as they would all by his definition be failures.

You can kind of understand how they end up going down their path, the arguments can be systematically picked apart leaving their only option of being "right" being to redefine the reality around them (there's a few who do this on the politics threads as well, trying to redefine words to suit them). I don't think hometruths realises how close they are to that outcome ("the world is wrong"). they just haven't brought their argument to it's conclusion (the constant "I don't know" answers may be a cover for this or actual failure to understand and make progress on their own narrative).

Being stubborn and ignorant is a dangerous combination.

• Advertisement

I think the "I don't know" answers are just him covering and clinging the to pretense of not being an anti-vaxx conspiracy theorist.

He does believe that all vaccines are failures cause they're all part of a big conspiracy. The covid vaccines are just the latest one.

He doesn't believe that he's smarter than all of the experts, he believes they're all deliberately lying because they're part of the conspiracy.

He can't claim the first options because they're obviously stupid and would make him look ridiculous. He can't admit to the second options because he knows that other people would also see them as stupid.

So he's stuck. He has to dodge and deflect and throw out tangents.

Advertisement