Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The grant needs to go!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The cynic in me says that those AC chargers would suddenly cost €50k to install, and 50kW units would be €1 million each 😬

It's a good thought in principle, and it's basically what Tesla do with the SuC network. The problem is that it's in Tesla's interest to have a high quality network, but whoever would be issuing the grant doesn't depend on any decent number of chargers being installed

Just look at the latest "plan" published around public charging. They can fulfill all the objectives of the plan and not install a single charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The majority of cars in the whole of Ireland never or rarely do more than 60km in one journey...

And yeah, I'd like 1000km range too, but if you're poor, you have to make do with what you can afford. And not come onto a forum to whinge that you are poor and that you need your cancer fuel subsidised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Does the Fluence have a bumber sticker saying my other EV is a Model S with over 400km range. A lot of poor people would like to be in that position.

Again as I have said many times before even if everyone wanted and could afford an EV it would be years before they could all get their hands on one given current serious supply constraints. Letss wait until that is resolved before further penalising ICE drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

How many €2k Fluence are out there for people to buy?

Getting a one-off good deal is not the same as it being readily available for the masses to buy. And if the masses were buying them, you would not have got that for €2k.

People were too slow, the boat with cheap EVs has sailed. That said, plenty of cheap €6-7k Leafs out there, these can fast charge, people have easily done 500km in them in a day with a handful of fast charges. Still cheaper to own than a banger petrol or diesel car for anyone doing a good bit of mileage. Whinging won't get you 1km range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

The purpose of the grant (as with any incentive) is to increase demand. There are no demand side issues at the moment. It's all supply side issues. Given that the issues are on the supply side, the manufacturers are doing their best to maximise their profit. The grant system we have doesn't incentivise the supply of cheaper cars. It is incentivising supplying cars at just under 60k to get the grant and the highest profit. This is resulting in heavier cars with larger batteries than required being imported, reducing the environmental benefit of buying an EV. The grant should be restructured and the maximum value of the car should be dropped significantly. It also should have a phased reduction (same as the VRT relief has), possibly a full grant up to €30,000 reducing to 0 at €40,000 with the VRT relief continuing as is at the full relief up to €40,000 reducing to 0 at €50,000

There could also be some changes to corporation tax on the profit from importing lower priced cars.

Keeping the grant as is is going to result in a market with a very small number of reasonably priced second hand EVs available for quite a long time. There are a very limited number of lower priced second hand EVs in the country, and the new cars being registered are, for the most part, not in the same price category. Out of the ~8200 new EVs registered this year, there probably isn't 1500 that were less than €40k. It will take a long time for the price of those cars to reduce to the levels that a lot of second hand car buyers are willing to spend.

Without some sort of change to the grant, we're going to see a lot of smaller ICE cars being kept for longer, as there aren't sufficient numbers of small EVs to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,044 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well, Unkel going by another thread heats their house with a couple of Crypto Mining rigs!!!!!! So hardly a regular punter :) They seem to despise the use of oil or gas but happy to burn vast quantities of electricity!

Crypto mining rigs are a 100% efficient way of heating your house. Also done from the grid which is up to 75% renewable and from my 11kwp solar array which is 100% renewable. Before that I heated my house with gas, which is less than 100% efficient and 0% renewable

I produce 11MWh of electricity per year from solar PV. An average Irish house uses 3MWh per year of electricity, an average EV also uses about 3MWh per year.

Please educate yourself a bit more before making any insinuating comments that I burn vast quantities of electricity, with that not so hidden false accusation of using fossil fuels to create that electricity that I use.

🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭HBC08

Th whole idea of taxing ICE cars out of existence was possibly a reality up until as recently as a year year ago.Then sh1t got real in the world and people have bigger things to worry about than their carbon emissions.

The vast majority of vehicles in this country are ICE and there's no way any government is going to push up the costs significantly of owning one in the near to medium term.

The 20c and 15c reduction in costs of petrol and diesel respectively is due to be expire in August,they're not even going to be able to do that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think uncontrollable world events have put a question over the transition to EV, the post COVID surge, the Chinese zero tolerance approach to COVID cases "post" COVID and Russian dopes.

We just gotta hold off for the time being as best we can and make what inroads we see wherever they arise, if you see an EV that works for you then go for it, if you have a property that will take solar panels then go for it etc etc etc

2023 is not going to be any better IMHO

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

I don't agree. Sure, things have happened that are out of our control. But now is not the time to sit back, stick our heads into the sand "lalala it's nothing to do with me" and look back up in 2 years time to see if things are a bit better

Now is the time to take action. Fast track the installation of massive wind and solar parks, improve charging infrastructure, provide (tax) incentives for people to stop using fossil fuels and move to electricity instead, stimulate start up companies in the renewables sphere, particularly those with international ambitions. Even without any of the above external factors, this was always going to be an exponential growth industry. Because of those external factors, this will be even more rapidly so. And at individual level, can I use less fossil fuels, can I install some solar PV, etc. A small example: for €200 you can buy a solar panel and a grid inverter. This panel will produce 380kWh per year in electricity in the better parts of Ireland when south facing. It will take the base load from your house, you will use all that it produces. At 23c cost per kWh, that will save you €88 per year, every year. And not only that, but the depreciation on that hardware is near zero too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As this is an EV forum I disagree on the EV move, there's just no supply worth talking about.

Holding the door open on renewables but we are lucky with our own house and garden, lots not as fortunate, apartment dwellers, renters etc.

Maybe 100% allowances for Landlords but going OT on an EV forum

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Ah cmon seriously you would head out on a 500km journey in a €5k Leaf? How long would that journey take? A couple of years back it took me 7.5 hours to do 350kms in my 161 L30. I tried it a 2nd time and it took me over 6.5 hours. Anyone attempting such a journey now would want more time than sense.

Again a 60km range EV would only allow you do a 30km journey without requiring charging, which isn't very useful for too many people, other than as a second car for pootling around near home or as a cheap option for their kids to learn to drive in. Which is why older ICEs (or bangers) will continue to be driven for a while yet.

I don't disagree with any of that, fact is though that the majority of cars in Ireland (not just in Dublin) rarely do more than 60-80km per day. Obviously if you are a sales rep doing 500km per day very often, then a 10 year old Leaf is not the best choice of car for you 😂

(not that any sales rep ever wanted to be seen dead in a €5k, 10 year old car anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

60 km only is meh! and trying to do 500 km with a handful of charges meh also ! Most people have things to do, places to go other than a leisurely trip down the country or drive 15 kms from the sea to the m50 on nearly level ground at a snails pace.

Try driving across a county and then half in to the next after doing all the usual school runs and what not, then look forward to hoping a charger is available.

Even if people did buy the half used up cars, what do they know about battery chemistry and if the range will be 25% less again in 2 years time, with a fossil fuel car you can have some certainty.

The grant was taking away from phev's, and they are still selling, only trailing EVS by 4% so no harm I think reducing the grant or eliminating it and sticking the funds into charging, at home and everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

The grant is taxpayer's money, and at the moment is not providing good value to the taxpayer. It is important that the money is used to get the best benefit for the country as a whole. There are no issues with getting buyers for any of the EVs on the market at the moment, and it is unlikely that there would be issues if the grant was removed. The money would be better used in 1. expanding public charging and 2. reducing the carbon intensity of the electrical grid.

The grant was necessary when EVs were in their infancy, as was the free chare point at home and free public charging. It was there to offset the extra cost of buying an EV and the uncertainty on residual values. The market is sufficiently mature that a lot of the incentives are not necessary. What is necessary is greater certainty on the availability of en-route charge points for longer distances and charge points for those without their own driveway/dedicated parking.

Reducing the carbon intensity of the electrical grid has benefits for all electricity users in the country as it helps to reduce the overall cost of electricity, and particularly benefits higher usage customers (which includes those with EVs). Given the price trajectory for oil, reducing the price of electricity effectively works as an incentive for EV ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It should be gotten rid due to the blatant unfairness of it. Drive an old car and you penalised by punitive tax; buy a new one and you'll get a grant and chape tax.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Tbh, I get really annoyed at when the EU commission and governments of Europe talk about transitioning to renewables but then sandbagging the whole process

Let's be honest, the governments of the EU, and wider Europe, could transition to 100% renewables within a year if enough government money was thrown at the problem.

They could just throw money at manufacturers to scale up production of wind turbines, solar panels and batteries. They could throw grants at homeowners and businesses to install as much renewables as possible and make it as easy as possible to bring new wind and solar farms up and running

There's no shortage of money floating around, so it's hardly like they can't afford it.

Yes, it's bad economics in a free market sense. But at some point people are going to have to acknowledge that this is a real emergency, and in emergencies the normal rules of spending need to be set aside for a while

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 33,904 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im alright jack .......

Your off your head , earlier on you were saying people should just make the switch I got a car for 2 grand.. there isn't enough 2 grand cars let alone 10 grand cars for people to move to.

Equally you took advantage of the grant yourself with your ioniq...

This I'm alright jack stuff is hilarious. People shouldnt be penalised when we are walking into historical inflation. Cop on .

I've always been opposed to all grants. Period. If there is one going, I will take it though. And so should everyone else.

You'll make a good populist politician. People shouldn't be penalised when things get tough. Shure give them a few hundred quid towards their electricity use. Shure give them a few hundred towards their diesel bill. Cancel the water charges. Keeps them voting for us. My bollix. We need to reduce our use of fossil fuels now more than ever. This is going to be painful for everyone, it's going to hurt, we'll just have to take our medicine. We'll get out of it better. And you guessed it, I have zero ambition (nor talent) to become a politician myself ;-)

The head in the sand approach, shure it'll pass is pathetic though. Our children and grandchildren will speak with disgust about most people of our generation doing nothing when it was needed the most. That's what I call the I'm alright jack stuff. Everyone knows if we don't do a lot more soon, we might be ok for our lives, but our children and grandchildren will have an awful time. Because of us.

• Advertisement

Spoke like a true fella happy to pull the ladder up. Awesome stuff.

Got the grant. Spend years telling everyone what a great deal he got sold the car for same he paid.

You'd make an awful politician. Because you'd get thrown out throwing more inflation drivers on top of people during inflation. But sure look here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Kinda like how those moving to Diesels a decade ago got the chape tax while everyone with cars older than 2008 got shafted...the majority of which were petrol drivers.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The grant is taxpayer's money, and at the moment is not providing good value to the taxpayer. It is important that the money is used to get the best benefit for the country as a whole. There are no issues with getting buyers for any of the EVs on the market at the moment, and it is unlikely that there would be issues if the grant was removed. The money would be better used in 1. expanding public charging and 2. reducing the carbon intensity of the electrical grid.

I think the reason the grants still exist is to make sure enough manufacturers are selling vehicles in Ireland instead of other EU states, as a manufacturer they have no reason to care about selling EVs in Ireland vs any other EU country, either way they are going to reach their emission targets.

As a state we have our own targets to reduce CO2 emissions, private transportation is the easiest segment for us to target as we don't have a large industrial base to decarbonise and agriculture is difficult.

That's an interesting and alternative take on it, liamog. I'd say you are not wrong if our leaders really are as clever / tuned in as you reckon they are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The thing is, the “premium” brands are plagued with problems.

BMW i4’s braking down. VW software so bad, my 25 year old speak and spell functions better! Porsche having their Taycans back for updates etc

The funny thing is that Asian cars are currently built as good as the Germans and many German fanboys are losing their minds over this. They just can’t comprehend that the legacy “premium” car makers are being matched elsewhere and in some cases exceeded.

Customer Service from the German brands is atrocious and one just needs to look at the threads in this forum for evidence.

Thank God for Tesla, Kia, Hyundai moving the automotive industries towards EV and forcing the “Premium” brands to take notice.

Korean cars are the best built cars in the world and have been for a good few years. Although you wouldn't class them as "premium", but that might come.

Most of our electronics are made in China, including "premium" phones such as the Apple iPhone 14 max pro gold XL or whatever their flagshap is called now 😁 Higher end Chinese cars will be regarded as premium in the same way as iPhones in a few years time.

So? Apple are American. Yet most of the Samsung and Apple phones are made in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭eagerv

I have always hated the term 'Premium' cars, it's just a marketing term by certain manufacturers and then believed by the media and the common people.🙂

Of course, there are expensive and not so expensive cars...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I completely agree with you. It’s highlighted in my posts as a certain poster (which I quoted 😉) has been spamming the Tesla thread quoting bmw as premium branding while the same bmw thread had owners left on the side of the road with no way home 🤣

Advertisement