Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depp/Heard Trial Verdict

Options

Comments

How did Depp have the financial power in the relationship? She's a millionaire in her own right. Sure, she's not worth as much as Depp, but had she left at any stage after their marriage, her own revenues would have supported her more than most of us could. Anyway, the court case showed that Depps accountant ended up paying for a lot of her costs, rather than she paying them herself. So, think how much she saved while being with him..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

What's clear to me after the trials is that Depp was not a fan or at least learned nothing from True Detective...

2 min clip in total, just jump to 35secs if you want to cut to it

https://youtu.be/DzpxP8znJG4

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

Just glad this crap is over and we can now move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

Question is what will the far-right move onto next they seem to have been all over this case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭rogber

Off topic, but the guardian also had two articles by lead writers in the last days calling for sanctions against Russia to be dropped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Craziest takeaway from this whole affair! Sure the nazis would love Heard she looks like the perfect Aryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

America, eh? There must be some amount of mentally ill people over there.

Haha.

It's mental.

A verdict didn't go the way I wanted.... Must be the far right.

My toast got burnt... **** far right toaster.

It won't though. It'll continue to be referenced and used for discussions for the rest of the year, and likely into next year too. The media are not going to let this go, nor will Amber Heard.

The American psychology association has reported that mental health issues are widespread and growing. I remember from another thread the % was very high (can't be bothered googling it now). However, then again, they do have skin in the game, considering the amount of money that psychology (and mind/personality related medicine) represents in the US. Mental health has become the go-to excuse to cover a wide range of behaviours and attitudes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭bewareofthedog

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

I was curious about this so went and listened to the Podcast

My favorite bits:

Basically Depp won because the jury were afraid they'd get the same death threats as Heard says she has gotten

And losing wouldn't have affected Depp at all - so the jury should have given it to Heard in support of all the abused women out there.

What a twat!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,749 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Could Depp now reopen or appeal the UK case verdict, or bring a new case?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

#BelieveAllWomen...

Kate Moss- 'He didn't hit me. In fact, he was a gentleman'

NOT HER!!!

I noticed that media really, really tried to paint Depp's attorney's as scurrilous. Or allege he was dating Ms Vasquez, which would be a breach of ethics. (He hugged Camille, and he hugged Ben Chew. Nobody ever accused him of being in a relationship with Chew). Ms Vasquez has been photographed with her boyfriend, since the case has ended. I also believe the hugging was a tactic by his team. A clever one, as it was meant to intimidate Amber Heard. Narcissist's apparently can become inflamed, or angered, when they see someone getting affection. It was a clever way to throw her off her 'cool' exterior.

Very much so. Since she has been shown to have perjured herself, the case can now be reopened. As can a similar case in Australia.

The US trial has opened up a considerable can of worms, for her.

That sounds like hogwash (Not you, the information). When the embryos are outside of the uterus (surrogate or otherwise) they belong to nobody. You don't need have them destroyed. They'll just expire. There have been similar cases in the past where women have gone to court to try and have embryos implanted, either after the marriage brokedown, or the relationship broke up, or any other circumstance. Their spouse, the sperm donor, has often not wanted to be a parent. The women, in those situations-they've lost every case.

For an embryo to be implanted, both have to agree to their use. If one party disagrees, the embryos cannot be used, and will expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭DeadHand

If people want an example of the moral bankruptcy of much of modern feminism, look at the reaction to this decision.

If people want proof of the total dominance of extreme feminist ideology within much of the mainstream media, look at the reaction to this decision. Yet, we'll still be told we live in a "patriarchy".

A shameful performance by the Irish media since the verdict was announced. The truth has been sidelined in favour of its agenda.

There are encouraging signs: the decision itself and the widespread public rejection of the mainstream, feminist narrative.

We've seen how feminism has fallen apart. I remember a book that came out about 10 or 11 years ago called 'Living Dolls'... and it was quite interesting. The main argument was that feminism had fallen apart. And to be quite honest, it's only gotten more divisive. We went from 'feminism' to 'racism within feminism' to 'Terfism'... and more and more within. People who were seen as the mouthpieces of feminism be they Germaine Greer, or Margaret Atwood are now on the outs with modern feminists, and in the case of Germaine Greer, it's the chickens coming home to roost.

Feminism went from 'being equal' to 'special treatment'. And honest, open, intelligent debate.... that's gone down the toilet.

What I will say, however, is that the mainstream audience have, time and time again, rejected this format of thinking. We saw the narrative the media tried to peddle, versus the reality. People turned out in droves for Depp. Even in the UK, at the previous trial. That gives me hope.

In the wider context, the conviction levels for sexual violence is way too low.

However, a mass ‘we believe her’ automatically is a dumb stance also. It looks like this encouraged Heard to do what she did.

Those seeking justice for women of sexual violence should be lambasting Heard for bringing a case that damages victim confidence, and certainly not doubling down and claiming Heard is a wronged poster child for victims.

Johnny is a spoiled brat, but had plenty of exs (powerful people themselves) who backed him.

Agree partially with your first point. It's incredibly difficult to prosecute rape or S.A. Barring instances like the case where a poor girl was assaulted by 5 men she didn't know, many cases can allege consensual.

There was even a recent case where one woman was inebriated (possibly drugged, as in roofied, not using substances) and she was assaulted. People started jeering her, and filming her on their phone, rather than coming to her aid. (They were women, and men, just for the record.) They believed it was a consensual encounter. If they had stated 'it was consensual', then her case would be tossed out, very easily.

The stats of men being rape victims are roughly the same. As are the levels of prosecution. Even if the victim is hetero, a claim of a consensual encounter (Despite many rapists also being straight) and the case becomes even more difficult to prove.

The tragic thing about rape is that it's insanely difficult to prove and prosecute. Pardon the analogy, but if you steal someone's property, like a phone or laptop, you can point to it and say 'that's my property'. If one is the victim of a rape, they're the evidence. And the victim. And if they report the crime too late (not shaming- rape is a horrific ordeal), much of the evidence may be gone.

I think the media clamouring down on the 'Amber's a victim' are very much doing damage to male victims of domestic violence. Imagine being a man, who's wife had been hitting him, and trying to leave that situation. Then hearing the media not believe Depp. I've known men who ended up in hospital because of a violent spouse. This kind of reporting makes things poisonous to one's mentality.

Well I knew that there was no point in telling anyone. It's been decades and I only told my wife, that I was told the exact same thing, when Heard's tape mocking Depp came out.

No one else, in a real life scenario, knows

Ahh well, I can remember a male friend calling the Gardai over domestic abuse from his wife, and being taken into custody by them. Even though, he was the one with the bruises, the children attesting to the mothers violence, but he was arrested.. and later judged as being an abuser, with the children remaining with the mother. All on the word of the woman, and the expectations of society.

And it hasn't changed much since then. Society, and the police still tends to side with the woman over the claims of the man. The Depp/Heard case won't change that here in Ireland, but it might, just might, set the ball rolling in the US, which will eventually provide some acceptability to policy makers to change things over here. Possibly. I dunno. I gave up on fairness in the courts, when it comes to gender, a long time ago..

• Advertisement

Agree with most of what you say, and the reasons it’s hard to prove.

This is off topic, just to point out an element of ‘agreeing to disagree’ I don’t think a show of ‘power’ is a thing - if a man rapes a man, his sexuality is not straight, imo.

Male on male rape is rarely about sexuality. It's about an expression of power. If you look at the limited research on the topic, quite often it's engineered by a female partner, with both enjoying the power they exercise over the victim. Even when you consider prison rapes, usually it's less about sexual pleasure (as they have access to gay men willing for the sex) and more about reinforcing/exercising power/authority to the general population, which is why new inmates often face the risk more than those who have been there a while.

Male on female rape is different though. The exercise of power and destruction of another's state is part of it, but sexual pleasure plays a greater role. And the research/stats tends to show that it's still not about sexual orientation, with gay men (or gender fluid) raping women in a variety of circumstances. It still comes back to the exercise of power over another person.. and possibly the perverse desire to destroy another persons state of mind/peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It appears Amber was successful in destroying JDs name/reputation/career. His win in court has done very little to change the mind of left wing media and is still portraying Amber as a victim.

The left wing media was never going to change their minds over Depp.. they never back down or apologise for anything. It's like expecting hard-core feminists to accept that women could be the aggressor. Not going to happen. The party line is that women are victims, and even when the woman was the instigator, the male drove her to it. A million and one excuses or justifications will be made.

JDs name/reputation/career is still pretty solid with the people that matter. Oh, he'll have issues with Disney, but there's other names on the block, including a lot of independently financed productions which would probably appeal to him more anyway. He's made the money.. now he can relax, and enjoy himself being selective in what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It is such an awkwardly written apology clearly crafted by his record company/management. A picture with JD now seems to be worse then being caught dropping an n-bomb and /or dressing like Hitler.

I’m aware of the power angle. Whatever it is it’s not (male on male rape) done by straight people. We’ve a plethora of names to describe sexuality, so come up with another one that includes this type of person. It isn’t straight.

I wanted to pick up on what another poster said, the rest of which I agreed with. I’m not interested in debating on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's not like making an apology makes any difference to the types that would demand one in the first place. It just makes them feel even more important than the pond life they actually are.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭dbas

Disgraceful to feel like you have to apologise for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Probably told by his managers to be seen to be neutral as to not alienate anyone ..

Advertisement