Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing in guns from the US?

Options
  • 03-06-2022 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

Have a mate in the US who has a number of guns, couple of shotguns (pump) mostly rifles (selection of gauges), and several pistols (both ancient & modern). He also owns a number of semi automatic and assault rifles.

Before anyone starts pontificating about them, he’s a keen gun collector and some of his guns date back to the American revolution.

He shoots, and collects and invests in them. His collection is probably worth in excess of $250k due to the historical pieces

We were talking over the week and he was wondering should they move home, he’d like to bring some of them with him.

Now I know nothing about shooting or the laws here, but was of the opinion, the shotguns wouldn’t be allowed, nor the pistols, and vertically not the semi automatic or assault rifles, but he may have a chance with some of the rifles (not necessarily the high capacity magazines he has).

He thinks he may be allowed bring the majority of them with the correct licensing in place.

He’s fairly wealthy and was considering buying a farm (to live on, he’d hire someone to actually run it), or some considerable land which would allow him to shoot on his own land.

How would he stand?

(Points for answering “on his own two feet” or “on the shoulders of giants”)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

My best advice to your buddy,if he has all that stuff?? STAY IN THE USA!!! I don't mean this nastily either!!!This is THE most unfriendliest gun ownership country in the entire European Union!!

First off.

Until he has his residency settled[IE bought property] and lived here for over 30 days,he could start looking at bringing in his stuff. So first off he can forget;

Any centerfire pistols and revolvers. They are gone unless you had a license here before Nov 2006. That also applies to any black powder pistols too,if they are modern replicas. Heck! He might as well just leave the BP stuff over there,as BP and stuff like pydroex is classified as explosives here,and practically unobtainable to hold and keep here,unless he wants to have another heap of requirements building a powder magazine to store it.

Semi-auto rifles and "assault rifles" If they are genuine "assault rifles" IE with the select-fire capability they are prohibited items under EU law,so unliscenseable here. If they are modern sporting rifles with semi-auto only capability, it's possible,but they also look like they are being legislated against in the near future.

Semi-auto shotguns and pumps are pretty much ok,if they hold 3 shots, and haven't any dangerous stocks,like folding,detachable,prominent pistol grips ,or just pistol gripped over 3 shots you need a restricted license .22 rifles of any type are pretty fine too if he doesn't mind a 10 round mag capacity,in his rifle and 5 shots in his .22 pistol.

Every, single,gun will need an individual license @80 euros per 3 years. There is NO collectors license, and I would NEVER recommend anyone take a nations historical guns out of their country. He will also have to justify to his local Superintendent or chief superintendent,why he needs these guns,join a gun club and by the sound of that collection, because of his sheer quantity,build a custom walk-in safe with a mandatory alarm.

That's IF he can convince the local chief or super to license that amount of firearms.Even though there is no theoretical upper limit of how many guns you can own here, they start getting antsy once it goers over five guns per household. Generally speaking, that is...

He is also going to be on first name terms with whatever courier company he gets to ship these to Ireland,or whichever FFL dealer that can ship outside CONUS charges him for this shipment.

In short, for whatever insane reason he wants to move back to this island for,he will be down a lot of his collection and spending a lot of money to keep the remainder here.

This is just the truth...Ireland is no country for serious gun owners or collectors.

IF however, he wants to shoot and keep pretty much everything bar his semi-auto rifles, and that can be fudged somewhat if he has a pistol version of an AR15 etc. Then NORTHERN Ireland is the place to go. Their gun laws are diametrically opposed to ours here in the republic.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭JP22

+1.

I think Grizz has covered the a to z on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭BSA International

You have to resident here for 6 months before you can get a firearms certificate (except for a visitors one) iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Grizzly, that’s the most comprehensive reply I could have hoped for.

I’m going to pass on that information to him.

I think it’s going to be something he has a dream of doing rather than being able to do. His collection is quite extensive. There’s no way he could bring them all back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement