Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It also has an advantage in the Netflix Magical Nonsense Rating Figures as the episodes are so bloody long 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Undoubtedly, I daresay backlogs across the globe for whittled down thanks to being stuck in the house. It's also one of the few "TV Events" remaining in the modern landscape. Certainly to this scale, barring smaller niche items like Bridgerton or the like.

I would give good money to see the raw viewing stats, especially around shows Netflix so unceremoniously axed out of nowhere.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,506 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Loved season four!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,506 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Swing as he lost nearly a year and a half of his childhood, he is more shy and innocent than the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 25,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya I get what they are going for but he is starting to remind me of Forrest Gump with the outfit and act.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah. Easy to forget Will lost time in the Upside Down, but that haircut is an affront to common follicular decency.

I'd suspect its some paranoid, silly producer worried the dumber in the audience won't know it's Will unless he still looks exactly the same. In a similar vein where Dustin still wears the same approximate clothes. Or something like Picard where his FRENCH ancestor is a Brit, cos how would people know it's Patrick Stewarts relative?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The thing about the B,C,D plots that bothers me, and it's not super spoilery but I'll try to put this next part behind spoilers, just in case

Eleven's was the only one that delivered within these 7 episodes, but the bigger problem is that I don't really see how the other ones will deliver at all? I get that the kids in Hawkins probably need some sort of adult back up, even if it's just to stand up to the town for them or whatever, but really the kids there have things pretty much as under control as things can be. So the Hopper/Joyce storyline seems to be entirely dependent on the viewer caring about that relationship (I don't), or Hopper's relationship with Eleven, and them being reunited seems to be the only potential pay off there. Or possibly, the monster in Russia, or how the Russians got it there, or how Hopper got there, might end up being relevant.

As for Will, Jonathan, and Mike.... I really don't see where that could possibly go that will make it seem worthwhile. To be fair, I think they had the least amount of time given to them, and were absent, but not missed, from episode 7 entirely, but I struggle to see how that storyline will pay off in any meaningful way. As I said, the kids in Hawkins are getting along fine without them, none of them contribute anything that the other kids haven't got between them. They think they're rescuing Eleven, but she doesn't need rescuing. They want to warn their friends, but they already know, and are dealing with it. The only potential thing that might come out of that storyline is Will being in love with Mike, which is fine, but it's not really connected to the main story the way the other plots are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Finished ep 7, will try keep this spoiler free as i dunno what the tags are...

Eleven and the russia arc bored the tits off me - well, eleven up to the last 20mins.

The california group is ok, but the hawkins crowd steal the show really, if it was just them it would be just as strong a series. That said, i guess you cant expect to be riveted for 10+ hrs, and ive still really enjoyed it. Roll on vol2 in July!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The only storyline point I can see to the Mike+ stuff is to show there's different factions within the US Gov.. the real reason seems to be that the writers have nothing for them so they are just trying to hide them away, which I actually don't mind that much since they are also the most boring characters in the show (which does come back on the writers though)

Agree with that. When I saw what the groupings were for this season, I knew the California one would be the one I cared least about, but when they split the California group even more, it got even less interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,879 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Eleven storyline over the last few episodes really dragged.

Enjoyed the rest of it though!

Lad that played Eddie was a great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How can they make us wait a month to finish this - it's sadistic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Really enjoyed all episodes. Know they were long but they didn’t feel it. Great pace to the show

The girl who plays Max is a brilliant actress

I never paid much attention to Max in the other seasons, but Sadie Sink is really great in the Fear Street film she was in too, so I was glad to see them give her a bit more to do this season.

Was thinking the same watching Sadie Sink this season. She can really portray a lot with little facial expressions and glances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

A brilliant end to season four part 1, but found the eleven/lab storyline very repetitive and boring over the previous episodes. It possibly was worth the pay off in the end however.

I've found some of the episodes a bit of a drag to be honest, the first few of the season I flew through as it was exciting to see them again, but 5 and 6 felt a bit long. Agree that the Hawkins storyline is by a mile the most interesting, the Russian and California story lines feel like not too much is happening. Hopefully a big payoff at the end and after watching episode 7 I feel the last two episodes will be great.

The Russian story is a bit boring and I also think they should have actually killed Hopper in s3. His "final" scene was a great sendoff.

I keep forgetting the California plot exists.

The Hawkins story is top notch as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

im six down , five and six dragged a lot , the bit with eleven in hospital is really dragging

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sadie Sink is excellent, and it helps that she has the strongest arc of any of the 'main' characters (at least to the point I'm up to). However, it also helps that only she and Gaten Matarazzo are the only ones of the 'main' gang who still convince as younger teenagers. A lot of the others now really look a fair few years older than their characters are meant to be - zero fault of their own (teenagers age quickly!) and pandemic delays definitely didn't help, but IMO this season would have benefitted from being set maybe two years after the last rather than just a few months later. But again some pandemic production leeway is definitely allowed here - more curious how they handle the final season. Surely has to be set in the main gang's graduation year at the very least, if not college?

I saw an interview with some of the kids promoting this season and Caleb McLaughlin said something about being 20 and I thought no, he's joking, but apparently not. But they were probably around the 17/18 mark when filming this season.

It's funny though because you constantly get 25+ year olds playing 17 year olds on American TV, Joe Keery is 30!! but it is getting harder and harder to buy these guys as 14/15. I kept thinking Will was going to be arrested for clearly being a grown man attending high school.

• Advertisement

Will season 5

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It’s not that big a deal for me. American TV has conditioned me to think all their high school kids look like they’re in their mid 30s

I think when you cast people in their 20s in the first place it's easier to deal with as they simply don't age as rapidly as people in their teens do, and you get a certain amount of audience buy-in from the start. Just look at Derry Girls.

Stranger Things - wisely! - went with young actors for their first season, but since the cast has naturally aged and the show hasn't kept pace with that it feels jarring. It'd likely be less jarring with shorter production cycles and/or longer narrative gaps between seasons.

It could be worse - it could be Dear Evan Hansen.

At least they have nominally tried to handwave the age with the move to high school; compare that with Ozark where Jonah, the young teenage son, turned into a young man in the space of a few in-show days lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Finished tonight, really enjoyed it and am gumming for the last 2 episodes. Agree that the whole Will et al arc feels like a massive waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Just realised that Mikes mother is Kelly Moltisanti from the Sopranos

A question for those who have finished all the eps. Hopefully it's behind spoiler tags.

Did Eleven create the upside down? I know they said earlier that she didn't, she only opened a gate, but the fact the upside down is stuck on the date Will disappeared, the date Eleven opened the gate, does that mean she did in fact create it? Or did it just take on the appearance of the real world that day, and that's why it's that date?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Evade

Indirectly, I think.

It seemed to me like Vecna created it after she beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

My take is it existed already and she opened a portal to it when killing 001, as above I don't think he created it as he was going thru hell when he entered it

• Advertisement

Episode 2 and, yeah, the story's stretched too thin across too many characters and locations. You could, IMO, cull about 3 or 4 characters, tighten aspects of the plot enough to still have a compelling tale. I can see clearly enough the intention is for everyone to eventually coalesce for the big finale(s), but .... ehh. When the runtime's that pronounced it got a little tedious TBH.

On the flip-side from superfluous characters though, Steve and Robin are absolutely the MVPs right now; their playful bickering and chemistry dominating the match ups, while Dustin and Max worked great as young foils, Steve's obvious jealousy over Eddie quite funny. I don't doubt Netflix will try another swing for a spin off and that team would be fine with me.

Advertisement