Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Written Examiners, 2022

• 06-05-2022 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Judging by the request for examiners again today, there seems to still be a shortage of examiners. I applied to examine two subjects, and I rang up today and was told I will be marking one of them. Last time I did it, the net income was about 48% and it was paid four months later, in November, if I recall. I wasn't doing it for the money, needless to say, but that SEC set-up still had a sting of contempt about it.

Now, it is online marking so how does that compare, and what is the money like after all the deductions? (I'm marking all LC HL papers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

The SEC have improved a lot with payments. As far as I know, they finish superintendents and then start examiners. I had mine in September.

Online is good - much faster but I miss the admin at the start and meeting people at conference. Everything you do is scruntized (which isn't a bad thing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Ah, that sounds much better. Is the "digital marking conference" done online? The trip to Athlone and staying overnight is a thing of the past? Do they post out the sample scripts to everybody before the "conference"? Also, when do they announce the dates of those conferences? The package I received yesterday doesn't state the payment for script in my subject either. When will that be given? And is the PRD/ASC deduction still applied to all payments? (That constituted a c. 10% deduction in the final payment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Yes, conference is online. I had three long days last year. Yes, you get samples and scheme sent to you before conference. Can't remember when they announced conferences. There should be a note stating price per script, if not, ring SEC. As for tax etc. I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭jrmb

Does anyone have access to the rates of pay for written examiners this year? I've gone through the SEC website and the documents the SEC sent to me. They say that the rate has been increased, but not what the specific rate is. I know it varies between subjects and levels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's not available anywhere from what I can see. Which is weird seeing as they were v upfront about rates for orals. I haven't applied for marking the written paper. Might be convinced if they'd say how much they're paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭jrmb

No, thanks for uploading but frustratingly, it isn't. I can see that there's an increase, but it doesn't say what it's an increase on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

What’s the subject and level? Someone might know.

the extra €150 per 25 scripts is a lovely bonus too.

I got an excel sheet from the dept with the rates. Just email and ask. €6 if one were to get JC Irish and €35 for higher LC. Either way I give up July so not worth the gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

€6 per script seems low! Would you fly through them with the changes to the exam?

• Advertisement

There are no changes to JC . No Covid changes anyway. Just the new course. I'd be recorrecting again and again as they try to make some sort of curve out of the new JC mess....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dorothyramey

Good that the conference is online. It's much more convenient

Post edited by dorothyramey on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What the fiddly faddle takes two days in a conference?

We haven't had a conference in years but we struggled to put in more than an hour and a half after lunch. JC common level subject.

When there’s 2 components. Or if the marking is going online there’s a second day for getting started at that . Beyond that, for a JC one paper subject, I can’t see what would take 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭pandoraj09

Our conference is 3 days online LCHL

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/EN-RE-59722618.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3J7qOCjNnHkJoD24nozvaMxx5tlqy8Qunhi9z8P0rXfumG312as2Bse7U

Just saw this on voice for teachers. Holy crap some of the conferences are very late. There’s no way the results will be out on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

I suspect the SEC are manufacturing the delay.... or else just not very adept at organising it properly. Don't get me wrong though, I found them very good during and after the exams with invigilation and marking... But before exams is just a mess.

There was another newspaper article on VFT about how the shortage of staff increased the need for teachers to correct their own students .

Many posts after it were from teachers who applied and never heard back. And teachers who hadn't applied but we're contacted. Every year they leave it to the last minute with appointments and then say they are at crisis.

Writing is on the wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sprioc Laethanta as late as 11 August does not bode at all well for LC results before the end of the month. Only after the LC results do they switch to processing the JC, so they could even be the end of September at that rate.

JC was October in 2019 to allow for speedy delivery of appeals. Some of the sprioclá’s are 14/15. People will be expecting results by then.

only thing I can think is maybe there’s less admin on the online marking.

• Advertisement

Lack of examiners plus allowing for the late second sitting people (though I suppose there would not be too many of them)?

Only found out recently there was not an automatic roll over of the old Advising and Chief Examiners in JC subjects that are at a Common Level for the first time, which may have resulted in a lot of people dropping out/not bothering.

Are they going to pay examiners faster? It took months for me to be paid the last time I did examining - and a full 48% of the payment was taken off me in a variety of taxes/PRD/USC, etc. They could work on that for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It possibly has an effect, but in reality with JC English, Maths (and I presume Irish) going to one paper, they only need half the number of examiners for the core subjects. I suspect it's more to do with examiners not marking for two years and they have enjoyed having July off and are managing without the money so haven't signed up again for 2022. Or some of them moved to LC and the main shortfall is now in JC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Has anyone actually heard back from the SEC? Haven't heard anything since I emailed back the confirmation in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

I didn't hear back since then either but a colleague had so I emailed them to confirm and got an email back confirming they'd received my confirmation.

SEC not coming across as efficient as they normally do this year. Take a look at the Superintendent thread. Must be something in the water in Athlone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Doing LC Higher level Geography for the first time.

Does anyone know roughly how many scripts i should expect to get and what is the rate per paper?

They must be especially desperate for examiners this year as the main story on The Irish Times today is:

'Appeal for teachers to take examiner roles as State exams begin' (https://www.irishtimes.com/)

Has anybody ever corrected two LC HL subjects in the one year?

I know they wouldn't let me do it for two JC subjects (both with quite small numbers) a while ago, but maybe if they are desperate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Numbersman

Hey hope this isn’t a stupid/waste of everyone’s time question.

i saw that the sec are really looking for examiners. I’ve just finished my level 8 degree in business and accounting (1:1) and wondering would they even bother having me? I see they’re needing across the board for JC and LC business. Not a teacher myself but have done some grinds. Would it be a waste of time / avoid being laughed by the SEC for looking into applying. Don’t have any summer work and thought it might help with giving grinds in the future, thanks.

Advertisement