Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whos fault is it

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So the mirror guy was paid to install the mirror, the sparks was paid to losen and tighten sockets. For me the mirror guy should have done the whole job, he clearly was the expert. Why didn't they organise a sparky or do it? Clearly an expensive mistake but ultimately the sparks did their job to what they deemed the correct level, if the mirror couldn't take it it could be argued that there was a flaw in the mirror,the sparks will argue that they followed guidelines for installing sockets and instructions of "don't tighten too much" we're useless as he had to tighten to the correct level.

Unfortunately I see this of a case of noone taking responsibility and it'll all come back on the homeowner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd guess because the glazer knew that there was a major risk of cracking

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

I’d say you have lose connections now after your glass man took them off and put back on ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭newhouse87

i know he over tightened 1 socket as all the others were slightly movable with some hand pressure, where it cracked, it couldn't budge using my hand. Obviously there is a risk of a mirror cracking if too much of any force applied hence why the glazer said it 3 times to not over tighten. There was no tighten to correct level as only 1 was bet onto the glass, so either 1 was tightened to correct level and 5 weren't or 1 was over tightened and 5 to correct level, either way spark caused the crack, spark is owed money and hes not getting it so havent lost out much. No loose connections, all working fine today.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Mirror man could have said to spark just engage screws in lugs and I'll tighten them for you

Saying don't overtighten leaves a bit of wriggle room for the spark in the dispute.If he did tighten them down after being told not to though he's an idiot

Who pays .Tradesman probably gives a discount if it's a straight fukkup. If this turns out to be a grey area dispute payment falls back on others

Bottom line from the sparks viewpoint the mirror man could have taken responsibility for the tightening procedure himself so is partly to blame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Have you a picture of the setup. I'm a bit confused trying to picture it in my head.

Is it a mirror with multiple holes cut out, behind each is a backbox, and the socket faceplate is then screwed on with the faceplate back flush against the mirror, how is the mirror attached to the wall? is the mirror just a sheet of glass mounted to wall or is there a solid backing/mounting on it of any sort?

solid backing on mirror, we had to screw off faceplates of sockets and fit mirror over them, then screw faceplates back on, spark screwed them too flush, where it broke, when we removed the socket faceplate to put on new mirror a bit of mirror was buried into the back of it, Mirror man presumed spark wouldn't tighten as much as he has worked with loads sparks before and once warned they dont over tighten he said, it was jiust the1 he over tightened. Mirror is stuck to wall using mirror mastic.

Yeah if he offered me half the money i would have been happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭blackbox

If the other sockets were slightly moveable by hand pressure, then they weren't tightened properly.

If this is what the mirror required, either it was defective or not installed properly.

If an electrician left my sockets loose enough to move I would think he was not complying with regulations.

most sockets move slightly with hand pressure, depending on of course how strong a person is. He had the socket buried onto the mirror, also the screws he used were bit short and we got longer ones and it fit perfect then. I think the fact that some mirror was bet into the back of the socket shows it was over tightened because with the other 5 sockets this did not happen.

• Advertisement

Just doing bit of reading, spark should have used glass switch plates instead, surely the spark should have heard of these and not expect me to think of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If the mirror person is selling a mirror that has holes cut out for sockets they should be specifying what sockets can be used with it, if not actually directly supplying them.

A standard socket against the glass seems wrong I would have thought maybe a rubber washer/o-ring would be required betwee socket and glass.

Electrician may have overtightened but they can't leave a socket so it is moveable, a socket should no be moveable by hand force when installed correctly.

So should spark not have said something to me about sockets so, some people are completely absolving the sparks idiocy from the situation, sockets all on fine now and are movable with a good bit of hand pressure, put it this way a kid couldn't budge them. For the umpteenth time, the spark had 5 sitting perfect, it cracked at 1 socket, he over tightened one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thread closed at the OP's request

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement