Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Compare and contrast 😁

I'm embarrassed by the sums of money I earn': Former BBC presenter Dan Walker - who had a salary of £295,000 at the Corporation - reveals he's uncomfortable about being 'paid a lot to do a job I love'

• Dan Walker's salary saw him become one of the top 20 earners at the BBC
    • The former BBC Breakfast host said he comes from a humble background where his parents had 'no money' and his clothes were 'hand-me-downs'
    • Walker said he feels 'uncomfortable' about how much money he gets paid in job

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Joe is embarrassed too, embarrassed by how little he earns compared to D’Arcy and Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

A little digeen at fateen early on in the morning g on radio always good

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Am I alone in thinking Duffy has just lost interest, Counting down the clock so to speak ,basically has just turned into a moaning blithering idiot , entirely focused on his own , quite warped agenda's.

Whilst we always knew he was fond of giving friends of Joe and the show regular, Leg ups, so to speak, he was once subtle, now he's utterly shameless. The unhinged monologues have also increased, inexplicable rants about items no one gives a toss about, apart from him.

The quality of research has gone to the dog's, more and more outlandish fairy tales being aired and those on speed dial appearing on the show more and more regularly, talking utter shyte, we could almost time , Anne from Cannes next call.

I'm just amazed there appears to be Zero editorial control and this over paid buffoon permitted to bully and make all sorts of assertions and no one reigning him in. Its not controversial, what he's up to, its just deeply embarrassing and disturbing at times. Kind like a Jeremy Kyle wannabe. More and more , Childish digs, snide comments, he's clearly monitoring social media and becoming more and more bitter.

I wouldn't mind so much if there was occasional gold moments from equally unhinged Cawlurs, but even Gold moments are increasingly rare.

It just all feels like a slow, painful death , perhaps that's what Joe wants it to be.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

Move the dial, tune in to Lyric, and go for a brisk walk. It'll do you a power of good. Simples.

• Advertisement

Simples is right, your contributions generally 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Move to Lyric and listen to Marty Whelan or George Hamilton rabbiting on rather than just letting the music flow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

As long as they're not living in your head you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Expunge

Smaller big egos over on Lyric, sadly, also dictating the content.

Three boring days of Bloom already this week. Talking to garden designers at length is every bit as tedious as the sewing/stitching fellas we had on Liveline.

Why can't RTE just let their various radio services stay within their lanes instead of all this pointless overlapping?

It's a mystery to me.

• Advertisement

I hope Andriy is coping being holed up in Dublin. Maybe we should all chip in and get him a villa for a few weeks on the French Riviera or somewhere else nice on the med? Nothing cheap or tacky now, something befitting a man of his needs and comforts with a pool, a tennis court, and a Lamborghini in the driveway, and access to a yacht.

Has he not moved to Wickla or wexford 🤔 some poor sod fell for the sop story and let him in, must be a pain getting to the airport to catch flights to Miami. I think he let slip he got a job with Simon Community, wether he's "Managing" donations, I can't say 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I've no doubt Joe's mentor, Gay, had the self-awareness to realise in his later years that it was time to hang up his hat and just do the very odd gig here and there to put cash in the piggy bank, without embarrassing himself; in order to recoup the money he lost in the crash, he still had sufficient stamina to go at it for a day at a time.

Joe's totally unaware of that fine line.

The difference being, I doubt very much if JD is going to be in much demand post-RTE.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Just checked in on the Queens lovely jubbly, jesus wept the UK channels in over drive with vomit enducing sentimentality 🤢

Couldn't agree more 😉 I reckon he made an attempt to move to an even handier gig at newstalk and they laughed at his demands.

• Zero activity going on at RTÉ in Bloom today. Broadcast wurkers too lazy to stretch themselves to do anything entertaining during a key summer bank holiday weekend.

Are you there 🤔 Gosh Montrosia pulled out all the stops on that stand 😂, likes like it was a prop left over from the last Eurovision they broadcast. Surely Claire Byrne's crew could have slapped something up.

• At least Hair Byrne has some class of comical imagination, she might have done better. They have a Bord Bia tent from where they occasionally broadcast. The one I took the shaky videos in a couple of years before.

Saw a rumour that Hair might be presenting the Late Late Show. She’d be better than Tubridy, he is like Duffy, shockingly disinterested in it, except for the Toy Show. At least, whatever I’ve thinks of her, Hair doesn’t come across as totally fake, and that comes across when you are in the studio, she always warmly thanks the audience for “having come out late on a cold Monday night into this studio and helping us get this program out”.

I've seen chat about Hair Byrne doing the late late 😳 perish the thought, it's needs to be shut down permanently 😉

• I must look back at the podcast segment titles and do an analysis of what goes to fill the show.

The two broad divisions would fall into

1. Apparent caller driven content

2. Obviously Joe driven content.

• Advertisement

The late Late is easy. The same cohort of Irish Celebrities, Luvvies, Comedians all a dull as dish water , over and over and over again 😁

Live Line, Whatever Joe's having so to speak 😏

• Well Tubridy HAS to be taken out of the equation, he is an absolute p1$$ poor interviewer, fakeness oozes out of every pore, he has brought it to where it is. I imagine they will leave him with the Toy Show, maybe some children-focused program where he visits bookstores, schools, libraries, playgrounds, child rehab centres around the country, dropping into curiosity shops, museums, places where you can bring your kids, venturing to Iceland and places where the local kids speak fluent English. He could do a Tubs Will Tailor It type program.

O I agree he's just appalling, but as is the play book of Montrosia, they seem terrified to upset their contractors when in reality no one else would have them and certainly not pay out a fraction of the salaries they earn.

Always fascinated me who negotiates contracts on behalf of RTE. If I'm talent hunting the first question I ask myself, what's this going to cost, who else would pay these outrageous salary demand, I wouldn't be long in finding out and saying no. RTE seem to negotiate on the premice, talent will go to competitor's 🙄, Newstalk 🤔, Today FM🤔, god forbid Virgin Media 🤔, anyone who's jumped ship has not earned a fraction of what they've earned at RTE.

Newstalk actually made Joseph an even bigger offer than he’s on at RTe believe it or not before they poached Pat Kenny so to speak. Joe turned it down citing “loyalty to RTÉ” whilst obviously no doubt negotiating a new contract.

Newstalk had a lucky escape. It’s taken Pat the guts of a decade to gain a decent level of listenership and attract a respectable level of ad spend. Duffy on the other hand frightens advertisers away - Newstalk would have ditched him after the first contract review. Luckily for Joe revenue doesn’t matter in RTÉ.

O, I didn't realise dat, I thought talks (dat didn't happen) were more recent.

My word Newstalk had a lucky escape, could you imagine Duffy actually doing a current affairs / News show / Talk radio, it would be a train wreck and Bankrupt newstalk with lawsuits.

I can just imagine him being interviewed for a Job, Go wan, Go wan, amazing, Incredabibble, Wow,, I can bring me Celebs, Luvvies over Louis and friends on board, advertising revenue, so to speak 😉 But of course we know friends of Joe and the Show don't pay for advertising 😁

It wouldn’t fit either with Newstalk’s desire to attract more affluent listeners so to speak - not exactly Joe’s peeple and dat……except of course those who listen for comedy value (FunnyFryday excepted of course of course).

• Newstalk were seriously stupid not to have done their research re advertising revenue.

They were seriously stupid to even talk to Duffy 😁

I'm guessing it was at a Time they had a bottomless pit of money , with DOB at the helm and foolishly thought big names was the way to go to grow the station 🤔

• Advertisement

• Business & marketing is all about psychology & Joe’s subject, sociology, it’s got wrong so many times.

Advertisement