Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting dial-up speeds while paying for broadband.

Options
  • 31-05-2022 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I'm being billed as a broadband customer by a national internet provider. I generally get speeds of under 1mbps download and around 0.1mbps upload. (Those aren't typos.)

I was told recently that below 1mbps you can't be charged for broadband. Can anybody point me to any legislation or anything that can back this up?

Weirdly, I can't get a straight answer from the internet provider. I can't get a straight answer from them either about the minimum speeds that should be specified in my contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

For sixty quid a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

I had a look through the CI site but didn't find a reference to a minimum acceptable 'broadband' speed.

It's possible that the person who told me that there is such a thing was misinformed. However, company's reluctance to give me anything approaching a straight answer makes me wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

why are you paying for a service you cannot get?

Mobile broadband @ €30 will probably be far better.

Take a few screenshots of speed tests over a few days, then simply cancel the service and cancel the payment. Send a letter to them with copy of screenshots and saying that the reason for cancelling was due to the non-service

I've thought of that. It would leave me with no internet at all, and no landline, both of which I need. I'm not expecting superfast speeds but I need it to work.

I live in an old stonebuilt cottage with very thick walls, down in a valley. It's beautiful but I have no mobile reception inside the house and very patchy reception outside unless I hike up the hill.

The thing is, the quality and reliability of my internet has deteriorated steadily over the last year and a half. It used to work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement