Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Its a start but it can be bettered. If you can add more panels then go for a 5kwh hybrid inverter

Quote 1

Too much, make sure the inverter is battery ready. To avoid additional costs if you get a battery at a later date.

Quote 2

Looks ok but you need more information on the inverter, is it battery ready.

Both are missing a hot water divertor and BER.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭steamdave

I've been interested in getting Solar PV installed and have recently come across your site.  Lots of very knowledgeable folk here, so will be picking your brains to sort the wheat from the chaff.

After reading most of the posts from Feb this year, it's time for me to ask for help before lightening my bank account. I started by contacting some of the companies listed on the SEAI 'approved installers' list, but there may be other installers who are approved but for some reason or other have not made it onto that list.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Cheers for the reply, for quote 1 BER is included and in both instances inverter is battery ready. Quote 2 does not include BER. We have thermodynamic hot water (essentially is always heating) so the Eddy doesnt make sense in our case. Both of us also work from home with steady loads the whole time so unlikely we will get a battery in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

1st off, unbelievably helpful thread. Thanks all.

I got the below quote:

12 x 410W JA Solar PV Panels - 4.92kW

1 x 5kW GivEnergy Hybrid Inverter

1 x 5.2kWh GivEnergy Battery Storage

€10k (after grant).

Based on the rule of thumb in the OP (€1k per kw etc) it seems about €2k too high, is that right? or are prices creeping up and up like everything else?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭steamdave

I live in West Cork, near Skibbereen.

Bungalow, 2 retired inhabitants.

No immersion heater, no EV and no likelihood of getting one.

Main roof faces SSE. Will probably need optimiser for 2,3 or 4 panels, depending on total number and layout of panels on roof.

I've had 3 quotes so far from Cork based companies listed on the SEAI approved installers list and waiting for a 4th from a local company.

1.          12 panels 4.8 kwp Hyundai

Huawei inverter

EU11000. Net EU8600. They do BER survey, apply for and take the grant.                         

2.          16 panels 5.52 kwp unnamed panels

Solis hybrid inverter

2.4kwh battery

EU12550. Net EU10150

BER survey and grant application up to me. 

3.          12 panels 4.3kwp SoliTec panels

Ergocell inverter

EU6970. Net EU5510

BER survey and grant application up to me.

What does the panel think?

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

I've agreed (at last) an installation subject to final survey...

Now that I've had more time to think about solar I am wondering should I go

1. 10 panels west facing roof and 10 panels on a south facing roof

2. 20 panels on 2 south facing roofs or

3. 10 on east (fair bit of shading so optimisers probably required) and 10 on west)

4. 8 east, 8 west and 8 south

I'm guessing that 4 might be the best in terms of spreading production evenly over the day followed by 1, although 2 would generate the most electricity

2 or 3 would be the simpler install and I'd guess the installer might look for extra cash if I went for option 1 or 4 (some panels would be on garage which is detached and about 15 ft from house.

Whilst there is someone at home all day usage is heaviest from 6pmish onwards hence I assume getting panels of west would help spread usage too

Planning to get a 5kWh battery too ( a 10kwh could make sense in our case given usage and TB e fact we have a night meter

Would appreciate any thoughts before the site survey..

We use lots of electricity and we have a night meter too and will be adding an EV to the mix soon.

Lastly I'd marginally prefer to go with the east west set up on the basis it would be using the garage only and I would not be interfering with the main roof of the house ( a few tiles blow off every couple of years in winter storms)

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

How do I find them online? What's their website?

Thanks

Also what's the name of the company in "Enniskillen"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 superemote

Hi folks, what's a ballpark quote for a BER rating

€300, but that depends where the ball park is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Mine was €230 a few weeks ago, check here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058191951/typical-ber-improvement-after-solar-pv-install#latest

it has a few other people who said cost and area their in after my post #42.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gan-Ainm

Hi folks,

I got my panels installed late April so was able to post install details and my first full months results for May (605 kWh) on www.pvstats.eu 😁

In the end I got the following for 10,572 minus 3k grant = 7,572:

• 4.7kWp using 12 x Jinko 390 watt N type in an ESE/SSW split
    • SOFAR 5kW HYD 5500-EP
    • 2.4 kW Dyness Lithium Ion cartridge battery
    • Eddie

Thanks to all of you who post and answer questions here - especially Maulbrook, DrPhilG, Bullit_Dodger and gomamochi1

Looking forward to see how they perform over the year and hopefully getting some half decent FIT rates!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

The more i read here, the more i am questioning if i am making the right decision.

Front roof is West Facing, back is East facing. Ive ordered, on the advice of installer:

16x 370w JA panels Monocrystalline = 5.9kwp system

Inverter Solis 6kw hrbrid

1x Pure drive 5kwh battery

1x Eddi water diverter

Im going air 2 water heating. The company who we all know are very busy to really give me any info. Ive asked them where are they going to install, and instead of googling it they just told me they let me know on the day. With my roof direction, am i shelling out for little return? Anything I should change? Add more panels while they are there?

Any advice at all for the wise ones would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If it's the company who everyone knows, then just give them a call and ask for more info. Yes they're busy, but it's not unreasonable to confirm details like that in advance.

Give them a call and speak to the guy with the same initials as the company name (if its who I think...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Phil's answered the logictics question (above), but for the panels.....the answer that most people offer is "max out the roof with available panels". In general, it's good advice. HOWEVER, despite that, you can actually over subscribe the solar installation.

If you are a single person living alone not using much electricity, then putting in 7-8Kwp in panels is "questionable" as you probably are generating waaay more than you actually need. That said, if your a normal family and planning on an getting an EV (or already have one), then that 5.9Kwp system your getting is a fairly good start at meeting your requirements.

Panels are about €200-250 each extra "on the day", but they are about €400-500 each to install after the fact as you have to get the lads out to your house and onto your roof <again>. If I was you I'd ask them to bring 4 extra panels along and if they can fit them on the roof, go for it. Very (very) few people have ever said "Ohh, i have too many panels".....but many including myself wish they had went a few more from the get go.

I don't know what our national average is, but the average in Germany is 8Kwp for houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Ginger83

If you increase panels do you stick with a 6kw inverter or ask for a bigger one or is that a silly question?

• Advertisement

6kwh inverter is the maximum you can go on a single phase domestic supply. You can put 8mwh to 9 kwh of panels on that size inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thanks i didn't realise there is a limit. I presume that this is a safety thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Although if you added 2 extra @ €1k, anyone Hazzard a guestimate of payback ? You'll increase gains in the poor months, but it's a percentage increase of a poor starting point. Then from March to September, you're only likely to export more.

Part of me feels that that €1k is better spent on battery, where more export destined power is saved and more power can be load shifted in winter.

Perfectly reasonable argument championc, but without more details as to the number of people in the house, the consumption profile, do they have an EV it's hard to say if panels are better than a battery or vice versa. My sort of default thinking is that batteries etc are nearly down at the DIY level (if needed) but the roof stuff tends to be an area which (most) people tend to leave to the professionals. Hence why I think panels, which drive the whole shebang, are the way to go....assuming you can consume it.

In my own case since I'm basically 95-100% self consumption (even in the high of summer) having done the math adding two panels will generate €160/year for me (extra 521 units at €0.31 / unit), so payback in 6-7 years. But of course you'd have to compare that to battery savings.....

I think the main takeaway is that you should max as much as you can in the initial install. Coming back later does cost more overall. (I know 1st hand)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

"assuming you can consume it." is absolutely what it's all about. So if you had a 5kW battery would you still be self consuming 95 - 100% ?

Was that directed to me mate? I've an 8.2Kwhr battery, and a pretty unusual consumption profile....with a mining rig or two, so I wouldn't be a good comparison to compare with. If I had lower size battery, it's just that I'd be exporting more (and importing more) . It's hard to call basically between panels/battery. I should clarify though what I mentioned earlier though, that's irrespective of what you do with panels/battery, try to do as much as you can as a part of the initial setup. It's cheaper that way.

Sure, often the wallet can't initially do everything you might want, but if you have some flexibility it pays off to as much as you can.

A open question for all.

My electrical bill for 21 was roughly under 1.2k eur. I heat the water tank with oil so say 300eur for that (possibly not even that much). If I was to spend 10k in solar panels (and possible battery) and guessing that I could save 50% of the above amounts it sounds like I would be looking at 20 years payback (excluding inflation and price increases). Best scenario would be 15 years.

Am I missing something in my calculations? Are people's bills much higher than mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The way I see it, it's outlay for the future.

Electric and oil prices are only going up, locking in payback at 10 years at today's prices will realistically mean payback at much shorter than that.

Add in an ev if you drive, and depending on how you do the calcs, the payback could be 4 or 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

"Electric and oil prices are only going up".

"When you buy commodities, you're shorting human ingenuity".

Don't pay any price for solar in the expectation that price rises will rescue a poor return.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

My bills are more like 5-6k euro P/A and have jumped significantly with the replacement of my old meter with smart meter (topic for another thread). This does include a separate small office building with the house and a bunch of computers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement