Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

thats been there from the start tbh. he can be exciting in attack at times and that can entice people into thinking hes a good option at 10, but his game management has always been poor enough. a fly-half in the ian madigan mould - a fantastic player but an average/poor 10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Carberry is awful! I hope Ben Healy gets a chance to tour. He could not be as poor as Carberry,no matter how hard he tries!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Madigan was a much better 10 than Carbery ever will be, and he gets **** on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I predict Ireland will sneak one win vs NZ and get spanked in the other 2....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Are we just really poor in Ireland at developing 10s?

Ross Byrne, Carbery, Hanrahan were all big prospects coming out of 20s, but none of them have kicked on to become international standard 10s. Is the problem with the system and how they are being coached/developed?

I think our best chance of finding another test quality 10 before next year is unearthing another Mack Hansen from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

In Ringrose and Hume we've two 13's bang in form. Shame we can't play both of them.

On the subject of centres I actually think Aki should be left at home this summer. Thought he was very poor against Leinster in both legs of the Champions Cup. He's usually good for Ireland so maybe it's a case of needing a rest.

Would like to see Frawley brought as 10/12 cover. He could play either position against the Maori and would be the ideal bench cover for the tests.

Shame we can't play both of them.

I do find it odd that Ringrose has never even been tried on the wing for Ireland. Like, not even for a game. Especially when you consider how much Farrell values ball-players all across the backline. You look at the success France have had with Penaud (who was a 13 the whole way up) being moved to the wing and now being one of the top wingers in the world, and he'd have been a similar enough 13 to Ringrose. Fickou as well on occasion has done brilliantly on the wing. Eddie Jones has had great success using Joseph and Daly on the wing (both of whom started off as 13s). Even Tuilagi has been used there.

I know we have many excellent wingers. But Hume just keeps knocking on the door and it won't be long until he's putting serious pressure on for that 13 shirt. If he isn't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I want to see Baloucoune play against NZ. He’s not a promising prospect any more. It’s time to see what he can do at another level. We already know the limitations of the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

We have an issue at 10 alright, I think Munster need to bite the bullet next season and give Healy or Flannery the shirt, Joey is not the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

100%, he's fast becoming my favourite Irish player to watch, and his defence tonight put him up a notch.

Had to travel, has to start in my opinion.

Healy for me can be a class operator. He must sit on the sidelines and think to himself," how is this guy starting".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

100%. There's plenty of talent in the province. However when it came to crunch games JvG was only ever interested in the same underperforming players. The less said about his "tactics" the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

We are truly fecked with Carbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not sure what Healy has shown to get this level of praise, other than just not being Carbery. Gets better the less he plays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yep. He got almost the entire second half last night and showed absolutely nothing (as part of a poor team performance, of course).

I don't see any way he's going to NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm going to try dig out a post I made months ago on this but we're absolutely screwed at 10. And I've been saying that since before Carbery's form totally fell off a cliff. It's hard to countenance himself and Murray are going to be playing test matches against NZ in NZ in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Presume you mean Healy or Crowley - Flannery is going to Ulster next season.

I'd imagine Ross Byrne is really kicking himself after sh*tting the bed last week. Had he not, I reckon he'd be getting another chance this summer. I think that was the last nail in the coffin in terms of his Ireland career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

If we can beat NZL in NZL that will be more history for this group of players and will give them more confidence for the RWC. Going out to win in SA & Oz wasn't what screwed Schmidt, it was the lack of adaptability when the going got tough in 2019 which would have happened regardless of who we sent to SA or Oz those years.

• Advertisement

I think Ireland do need to push the boat out a bit in some cases one being the wing position. You know if France were in our shoes they would be backing Baloucoune because they can see the potential benefit with giving him starts whereas in contrast Ireland we seem to worry about his weaknesses.

The big issue for VG is he rarely ever over achieved with Munster, he would most of the time what you would expect him to do and no more, you'd never see him do what Ulster did in Toulouse for instance.

The biggest positive of this season is its now over and hopefully Munster can now move forward hopefully.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You don't think Ireland were "pushing the boat out" with the success of mack hansen?

Balouocoune coming onto the wing is the next stage in the evolution of Ireland's backline IMO. We have lots of good ball players, but no out-and-out strike runners who will genuinely frighten defences. That's not to say Baloucoune isn't a good footballer, because he absolutely is. We saw his vision and awareness to link up after making a break to set up to Moore's first try yesterday. He's got a great offload game too. And he's a phenomenal defender as he's shown throughout this season in big games.

He's a test quality player. It's just whether Farrell wants to use him. If it were me, I'm starting Lowe and Baloucoune, no questions.

So, who do we pull out of the lamp? Which out half, other than Sexton is decent? Do we stay with Carberry? Bring in Burns and Carty?

None of them are good enough. They are all ok! Ross Byrne will probably get another bite of the apple, imo. He's not the answer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Baloucoune gets the same opportunity as everyone else. He'll be in the squad for NZ, same as he was in the squad for the 6N, then it's up to him to press his case.

The idea that he's not being picked because Farrell is conservative is blown to pieces by the fact that Hansen was picked ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

When he gets the ball, against a team like Munster anyway, it’s time to pay attention - a try may be in the offing. If he’d had that break instead of McIlroy they’d have given up chasing him. As you say, he’s coming on in defence too. His tackle on Carberry was excellent and he seems to be showing decent positional sense these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

What do mean "coming on in defence"? He's been a first-rate defender since his first Ulster cap.

It's just lazy analysis

*winger scores loads of tries and is incredible in attack. "ah but his defence isn't up to it"

*hooker has huge impact in open play "ah but his throwing isn't good enough"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jordan Larmour must now be a shoo in for the tour, provided he doesn't pick up an injury. He was playing well before his injury back in February and since returning he has been the best player on the pitch in his last two starts.

His footwork and step is as good as ever, but he's back to hitting the line at speed and bursting through small gaps in defence. He wasn't doing that often enough last season.

Advertisement