Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Larmour has put in an outrageous performance in this game. He's straight back into the first XV, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

Go on Frawley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

Larmour motm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Great result. Larmour was fantastic today. I expected more from Glasgow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The traffic on this thread shows the sort of game the was. Glasgow were truly awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Friday night semi final. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Glasgow tried copying La Rochelles tactics. They flooded the channel of the second receiver and made the tip on or linking pass much harder to make. We didn't look as fluid in attack at times.

The difference is their forwards couldn't keep ours from getting over the gainline as frequently as La Rochelles. So even if they stopped us from linking wide, we could reload, get over the gainline with a tight carry, and then try linking again when Glasgow are retreating.

I imagine the Bulls will try and emulate that tactic next weekend. They might have better success as their forwards are better than Glasgow's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

We are such flat track bullies

Yeah because Leicester and Toulouse are weak opposition. And losing in the 79th minute of the European final is such a massive defeat.

Honestly your posts read increasingly as trolling these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

yeah utter nonsense. Dosnt matter who you beat or how you win there is always some gobshite trying to piss on your parade. Honestly wonder why they even bother posting if they are not trolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

That thought did go through my head. It's my impression that this Leinster team are way more likely to put 50, 60, 70 points on mid-level opposition than Leinster sides under previous coaches. They don't even have to be particularly weak teams for it to happen. It's just their defences aren't quite cohesive and aggressive enough, and they don't put enough pressure on Leinster's ball at the breakdown. This Leinster team can absolutely annihilate that sort of opposition. I bet the number of times 50 points or more have been scored has gone way up since Lancaster came onboard.

It would be great if they could keep that and also get better at beating the Saracens and La Rochelles of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's exactly what you want after a tough defeat. Poor opposition but ruthlessly dispatched. And personally I much prefer the RDS for a live match

Once again Larmour was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. I know he was only just back but really looks like we missed a trick not including him last week.

Craig Evens seemed to be disagreeing with him, but eventually the ref's view won out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I can understand why he wasn't included but yeah in hindsight it looks like a pretty significant mistake. Could have sparked something from nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Porter concedes a penalty at the scrum and you post this. Porter wins a penalty against the head and you have nothing to say. Leinster put last weeks disappointment behind them with an emphatic win and all you can say is that Leinster are flat track bullies. And then you wonder why I was saying you’re really negative! Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Will Leinster be close to full strenght next week? Furlong left early and I think Kelleher won't make the sf?

Leinsters end of the year awards ceremony in tonight. Great to see Frawley get the fans player if the year award. It's well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Leinster put last weeks disappointment behind them

We'll have put last weeks disappointment behind us when we win a Heineken Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

There it is. The misery. Heaven forbid you give any credit where it’s due. But you sure as hell won’t miss an opportunity to stick the boot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Number of times scoring over 50 points in a game by season:

Smith: 2010/2011: 0 in 33 games, 2011/2012: 3 in 33 games, 2012/2013: 1 in 33 games, overall 4 in 99 games, or 1 in every 24.75 games

O'Connor: 2013/2014: 1 in 31 games, 2014/2015: 1 in 30 games, overall 2 in 61 games, or 1 in every 30.5 games

Cullen: 2015/2016: 2 in 30 games, overall 1 in every 15 games

Lancaster: 2016/2017: 4 in 31 games, 2017/2018: 3 in 32 games, 2018/2019: 5 in 32 games, 2019/2020: 6 in 25 games, 2020/2021: 4 in 26 games, 2021/2022: 6 in 28 games so far, overall 28 in 174 games, or 1 in every 6.21 games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Anyone got a clip of Frawley chasing back? Official highlights don't have it and I missed the game earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Leinster were wonderful to watch. Larmour a delight to behold in full flight.

Glasgow were dreadful. They should hang their heads in shame after that. Conceding not far off 80 points is beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Absolutely and it was the first thing I thought after the match, the argument fir not throwing him in was that he wasn't long back from injury and he's prone to a few mistakes, on both counts that makes no sense as even I his first game back you could see glimpses that he was back to his best and as for mistakes well the back three in the rochelle game all made mistakes on the day, in a tight game though you don't leave out the one player who can conjure something from nothing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads having a few pints after the game last night c/o the annual awards ball.

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/2206025/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The argument for not throwing him in, as u call it, was also that the back three were playing very well, had shown no weakness, and had looked very threatening scoring tries for fun.

Saying the back three ended up making mistakes is not justificatiin for his selection. Just the same as using as evidence a game where were comfortable in is not proof that he would have made no mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I guess the biggest issue was Lowes fitness. He clearly wasn’t up to speed and didn’t have his usual impact. It was a gamble that didn’t pay off.

The Bulls will be a challenge. It will be tougher than the opening game. The Sharks v Bulls was a great arm wrestle. Leinster had an easy enough time, it's a pity really. I'd have liked to see a tougher match this week.

Larmour is insane atm! Scary good.

Jenkins will be a good signing, imo. He looked good from what I saw of him. But, will he hamper the development of the young Leinster locks?

Leinster played quite well yesterday. Doris put in a huge shift as did Ryan and McCarthy. They just bowled through their Glasgow counterparts. Also our back three made a lot of ground. Larmour was excellent in his line running and stepping and JOB also put in some very good grubbers behind the defence to keep them retreating.

But I think there are a few areas that can definitely be improved upon. Byrne and Frawley had a few mix ups in their interplay and a couple of passes went to ground and stifled our attacks. I don't think those two have played together much as a 10/12 combo which could be the reason for the miscommunication.

Also, Leinster started very slowly yet again. They make a habit of conceding the first score before they really get settled into their structures. Don't think we can afford to do that in the Semi Final, or the Final if we make it that far.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Advertisement

I'm surprised that HB didn't get on earlier? That match was busted wide open very early and RB played 68 minutes! I think HB should have played 40.

Advertisement