Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

But if you let him go really quickly when he falls then it’s fine........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Much like Horgan in the hurling, it looks like McManus is finished at the top level. His only notable contribution all day was that interception deep in his own half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Sounded like a thriller on C103, god bless Paudie Palmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Clare miss a penalty with 8 minutes left, anyone's match yet, but not a ton of quality on show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Meath beaten by Clare. Hopefully the GAA hurrys up with the multi million annual package to improve football in the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

monaghan one at end was no penalty. would of been very harsh. didn't see mayo one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I wonder how Colm o Rourke will blame Dublin and money on a terrible result for Meath no excuse for a good footballing county like Meath to be so poor for so long .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Throwing money at a county at is not run correctly based on the resources it already has is not the answer. No way should Clare be beating Meath. Management structures should be looked at first and foremost. The ‘Eastern Strategy’ could be money wasted on Meath IMO.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Stop trying to deflect from the blatent financial doping and unfair home advantage Dublin get. It's a fact.

Let's throw €19m at Meath football and let them play 99% of their games in Navan. Sounds silly doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Hard to have much sympathy for Monaghan. From what I saw of the second half, they showed no ambition whatsoever to eat into that 3 point lead and were happy to let Mayo have the ball all day. They only showed a bit of urgency in last 5 mins and I was glad to see the sort of football they played not getting rewarded.

I could understand being that cautious v kerry or dublin, but jaysis this is bleeding mayo, take em on.

Probably seen the end of mcmanus i imagine. Player of a generation. As accurate of his right boot as anyone I have ever seen. Probably the end of the good Monaghan team too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

So Meath lose to Clare and it’s Dublin fault lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What has Meath losing to Clare got to with Dublin? When Meath lost to Longford and Westmeath was that Dublin’s fault as well? I know you are angry after yet another embarrassing poor Meath result.

But take a step back and look at how Meath is run? Are they achieving or underachieving?

Is McEntee making the best use of what he has available?

I think the level Meath are at is way below where the should be constantly talking about Dublin is deflecting from their own problems they should be much better regardlessof how Dublin are doing.

The problem is many Meath supporters can’t face the fact that their manager and County Board are not only just underperforming, they are unperforming consistently against counties with -

1) much smaller populations, 2) much less football tradition, and 3) much less resources.

Meath should not be used in the same sentence as Dublin. As Meath have to stop their slide to a de facto div3 team or div2 strugglers.

The level Meath are at they should be asking why the consistency of poor results. Clare, Westmeath, Longford!?All in recent years.

Yet we have Meath fans thinking they should be the same level as Dublin! It is dreamland stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I think so, but he's 35-ish now, and has been playing inter county at the top level for years. I think he's done at the high standards he him self set , but he's still such a high quality player he , if he wants, still has a place on the county team. More importantly, we need a manager to make use of the minor and u20 teams that did so well a couple of years. Banty did great in 07 ish but time to widen the pool

As a very small county we need to maximise this bunch of players.

As

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Watched the penalty decision.atvtge end of the Mayo) Monoghan match. Would have been a soft penalty. Of the Monoghan players had played on instead of going down looking for a penalty height have got a goal. Mayo players put his hands on him but did not pull him down.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Adios Banty and Andy mc entee..... Next bluffer step forward Mr kieran mc geeney.... Ye can share the taxi with Tony mcentee tomorrow evening if Leitrim beat sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Hopefully Clare can win Round 2 and draw Derry, it would provide a great chance to reach the semi for Derry. The last QF in 2007 they played Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

100% accurate

even on the local radio at half time tonight the clare commentators were asking the question of the meath county board and what are they doing up there re player development ect , too much blame is placed on the manager , if i am honest there is not too many meath players that would improve the clare footballers at the moment

for a county that produced some of the finest footballers in the country on a regular basis they are no where near the level of the 90s or early 00s now , and for as long as they keep blaming dublin its only going to get worse for them , what money did tyrone get last year to win an all ireland 🤔

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Depending on the draw, could end up with Derry/Galway in the final.

Potentially could be something like

Derry v Roscommon

Galway v Kildare

Let's hope the Dubs and Kerry get 2 of Tyrone/Donegal/Mayo.

Would be great championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

McEntee is a spoofer. Hope this thread is not derailed now with the usual 'Meath are better than you think' posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,251 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not sure if serious but just in case……Galway and Derry are on same side of draw so would meet in semi finals

Andy no doubt will be lambasting the officials like he does after every defeat . Meath will be a lot better off with him gone he has not improved them at all .

Sorry, meant one of Derry/Galway in the final, not the actual final pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,280 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They both still have a lot to prove.

I'd not be surprised if either of them lost to Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal or Armagh of they meet.

That's why I'd be hoping it'd be something like Roscommon v Derry and Galway v Kildare in 1/4s.

I don't fancy Tyrone at all this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Clare beat Meath in a qualifier and posters discussing the game are accused of "deflecting" because they're talking about Clare and Meath, instead of Dublin....

Disappointing for us today, but not a complete shock. We knew Meath were only mild favourites and Clare have gotten closer to us each year, they were bound to beat us someday.

There was a lot of promise attached to McEntee's arrival, as if he was going to punish Meath into being good, but I'm struggling to think of too many highlights from the last 6 years. Our best league performance in years in 2019 and a handy championship draw got us to Div 1. and the AI QF Group stage, but we came last in both without even winning a game. Kildare imploding in the 2nd half in Leinster in 2020 might be another good memory.

As mentioned before, blaming Dublin is an easy out for Meath fans because if we get a tanking off Dublin, that gets the headlines and people won't talk about our dismal qualifier record or the way we struggle against teams much weaker on paper. Blame Dublin all you like but they probably only comprise about 1 in 10 games Meath play in most years, and we don't impress in the other 9 either.

Hard to predict what happens next for Meath. Some seem to put a lot of hope on the fact we won the AI Minor last year, but you can't base much weight on a good performance by one year's minors. We're struggling to even convert minor success to U20 level, with the U20 teams of 2021 and 2022 being full of Leinster and AI minor winners yet still falling well short. Even then, Offaly and Kildare have won recent AIs at U20 grade and you'd be hard pressed to find any Meath person thinking that'll lead them to senior glory....

• Advertisement

to be fair it was started by some loon shortly after the game blaming Dublin money nonsonse

the county board have to be held massively accounted for this , i feel sorry for the genuine meath football people especially in ennis tonight

most looked desponded near the end of the game and i cant blame them , eamon obrien was the last manager to make meath,... meath .

since then the county has not been anywhere close to where ya should be , blaming andy isnt the answer either , that only lets the players off on a free lunch , tonight for our last point our corner back intercepted a ball in the left half back position and kicked an uncontested point in the right corner forward position.

the word fight is missing from the meath dressing room at the moment , its embedded into clare people from the hurling , ye need to re-embed it into the meath football mentality

Advertisement