Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

Thanks - saw it in the last year- lovely soundtrack though

I’ve been watching Guy Harvey from the vaults on Sky Arts - I think this is a new series is it? I thought I saw the all of the previous series but certainly the one I watched the other night I hadn’t seen before - worth a watch - lots of The Tube and other great shows featured

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For them wot missed it the first time around - effectively it's tonight...

Fri 03 Jun 2022 01:15 BST

Sky Arts

David Byrne's American Utopia

01:15 (02:00:00) American singer-songwriter David Byrne and a group of international musicians perform songs from the popular Broadway musical American Utopia.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,536 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Sky Arts now…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I watched that ELO gig last night - good stuff, though there didn't seem to be anyone in the audience under 60. Bumper sales for the makers of Voltarol the next day I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BBC4 will be following TOTP tonight with a night on the joys easy listening... capped off by a repeat of the documentary "I Can Go For That: The Smooth World of Yacht Rock" presented by Katie Puckrik.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

They're not lumping the pop excellence of Hall & Oates in with that shyte, are they?

Ah heyor.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Well…it IS music…

Soul icon Diana Ross is due to headline the BBC’s Platinum Party At The Palace concert, her first UK performance for 15 years.

The former Supremes singer will be one of the main attractions for event.

The evening will feature a variety of acts, as well a stars from further afield.

“The evening will pivot around global themes that have been born, or evolved, during the breadth of Her Majesty’s reign due to extraordinary British and Commonwealth contributions including Fashion, Sport, the Environment, 70 Years of Pop Music and Musicals – the latter curated by legendary composer Andrew Lloyd Webber,” the BBC said.

• Queen + Adam Lambert will open the concert, 
    • Alicia Keys, 
    • Hans Zimmer, 
    • Ella Eyre, 
    • Craig David, 
    • Mabel, 
    • Elbow
    • George Ezra, 
    • Duran Duran, 
    • Andrea Bocelli, 
    • Mimi Webb, 
    • Jax Jones, 
    • Celeste, 
    • Nile Rodgers, 
    • Sigala
    • Diversity
    • Sam Ryder

There will also be a specially recorded performance from Sir Elton John.

You'll have to watch to find out...

Yes they are

Bonus... seeing as you asked me about Hall & Oates, here's a wonderful cover of Here Comes the Rain Again from Daryl Hall, first heard on RTE Gold's ABC to XTC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Think she was Snaps third or fourth frontwoman at that point.

Exterminate? I think I preferred the Daleks version...

And now we have Frank & Walters as we get to 1993 on TOTP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

And the Sultans Of Ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Oooh. A double neck guitar with no heads.

The Frank and Walters AND Sultans Of Ping on the same TappyPappy!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Dancing in the disco,

Bumper to bumper,

Where's me sweater,

Where's me sweater.

Where's me Jumper US version 😉

I'm asleep with "easy listening" overload on BBC4 this evening- a wonderful mix of music

New White Stripes documentary tonight on Sky Arts at 9pm.

https://www.sky.com/tv-guide/20220604/4101-1/130/Efdf-c8

Here’s hoping Duran Duran perform ‘Girls On Film’ at the Jubilee Concert, re-enacting the video too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

How dare Sam Ryder show his face again in public after failing to win Eurovision for us!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

• Advertisement

The music was so so but the lights and effects were something else especially the light effects up in the sky over the palace at the end!

That's brilliant. I didn't realise it was Dave Stewart on guitar until I read the comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

The release of Undone (the Sweater Song) and Where's Me Jumper in such a narrow timeframe and across such diverse locations is surely an example of the "multiple discovery hypothesis".

I feel a lengthy thesis submission could be done here. What global uncertainties were contributing to this concern for, and focus on, woolen products?

Perhaps DNA advances and Dolly the Sheep later in the 90's meant that we could all relax more and know that our jumpers were replaceable?

There was a piece in the Sunday (London) Times Culture magazine criticising the way the BBC have been running down BBC4, starving it of funds and new programmes as a precursor to killing the channel completely. It echoes may of the criticisms on this thread i.e. that the BBC4 audience are more likely to watch the channel than some of the audience the BBC seems enamoured with.

FLOPPITYTOPSCHE!!

Where’s their brother, Percy?

Tonight at 9pm on Sky Arts - the Pet Shop Boys 1987 film ‘It Couldn’t Happen Here’!

‘EPIC’, OR GTFO!!

• Advertisement

Good to see Pauline Calf in the video, though.

Advertisement