Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fair enough, maybe not reported in detail by the media throughout the years. But there was enough talk outside of mainstream media to paint the picture I think.

I've certainly had him down as a "bit of a gambler" for years. And I mean that in an Irish sense... I.e a chronic/compulsive gambler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Must've had a few glasses of red before making that call!

Interesting background to his "realtionship" with Shipnuck and obviously mutual beef that they've held onto for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

DJ and Gmac got dropped by RBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It will be interesting to see who the team leaders will be for the LIV. Apparently they will be getting a percentage of the franchise rights. Obviously they tried to get Jack Nicklaus involved but he wasn't interested.

Norman was mentioning Crickets IPL as a potential structure. IPL teams have "mentors". Basically high profile ex pro's that just sit on the bench and don't do anything.

Gary Player is an absolute lock to be involved. Not even Phil Mickelson would take that bet.

Im surprised Darren Clarke isn't involved. Maybe he will as a team mentor?

I am also interested in seeing who from golf punditry will be involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Isn't the idea of team golf like this absolutely naff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dublin49

golf is an awful spectator sport at the best of times, 90% of the field are regularly also rans and add little or no entertainment value.In conventional tournaments John Rahm may be having a bad day but he is still John Rahm and there is some novelty factor in that .That won't apply to the current LIV field so they are obviously trying to imitate the Ryder cup cameraderie to paper over the lack lustre nature of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

I think it's probably the most interesting part of LIV, there's far too many strokeplay events on the PGA tour. Nice to mix it up, I couldn't care less who wins the Honda, John Deere, Bryon Nelson, American Express and all of the fall series events. LIV could actually force the tours hand to do a reshuffle of the schedule which I would welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dublin49

I think if you follow Rory,Shane or now Seamus or whoever you are very much interested in the tourneys you listed.

The change I would like to see is being let watch all the shots for a player of your choice,all the holes are covered by cameras so shudn't be too difficult.

I would be interested enough to watch the last few holes on Sunday, even when Seamus was going well at the Amex this year I didn't watch any of it. Only tuned in from 15 onwards when Shane was in the lead at the Honda, they were just dull fields on dull golf courses.

I just don't think they have the budget to show all shots from every player, I've only seen in done for the masters and the players last year, where budgets don't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

Anyone heading over? Howdiido were offering free tickets during the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tickets were pricey enough surprised with all the money they have that they didn't just let people in for free. That should be there goal, try getting 20k people in every day and try get the golf on a fta channel, I know it's free on youtube but if they could get the likes of the BBC or channel four behind them and a few more in the states then it will be huge for them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

Have the tours officially released the players to play in this event and will OWGR points be awarded? Not that those matter if the players get suspended from their current tours.

If the players are stopped from competing in other events, then they will start to tumble down official rankings and then it will be like the darts or boxing with parallel jurisdictions but we’ll not see all the top players together in any tournaments again.

It’s funny to note that the most high profile players who have jumped for this have been in very poor form this year (DJ, Oosty, Westy and Garcia) and all have already fallen down the rankings. Have they already checked out mentally?

It's looking much more like the darts scenario (two very separate entities with no crossover, one way more popular than the other) rather than the boxing one (where there can be some crossover/players playing on LIV look set to miss out on Majors/Ryder Cups).

It's more than just poor form that has those guys you mention jumping to LIV. They're all in the twilight of their career and they haven't as much to lose/far more to gain in terms of money from LIV at this stage. With the exception of DJ, who has reportedly been given well in excess of 100 million, so he's basically covered all his potential future career earnings on the PGA Tour in one swoop from LIV.

It'll be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We don't have to wait to see what happens, DJ and McDowell have already been dropped by sponsor RBC due to their ties to the RBC Heritage event no doubt.

"As a result of the decisions made by professional golfers Dustin Johnson and Graeme McDowell to play the LIV Golf Invitational Series opener, RBC is terminating its sponsorship agreement with both players," the company said in a statement. "We wish them well in their future endeavors."

The PGA have already stated the players will be subject to disciplinary action but for that we will have to wait until after they tee it up and it being the US lawyers lawyers lawyers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭dmn22

"It's looking much more like the darts scenario (two very separate entities with no crossover, one way more popular than the other)"

Yeah it immediately reminded me a bit of UFC v Bellator where UFC (PGA) has mass-appeal and maybe only the die-hard fans pay attention to anything going on in Bellator (LIV).

Can't say I am too surprised by DJ jumping ship, although I am very disappointed. He is and always was an air-head, pity as he's one of my favourite players when on form. That being said, I love my golf and have zero interest in watching any of these players compete against each other. A bunch of greedy has-beens for the most part.

I was listening to newstalk during the week and they made a very interesting observation (gag at his expense) that DJ is the ideal spokesman/frontman for LIV... Because he rarely has anything to say in general and people won't be asking him/expecting him to answer any hard hitting questions.

I highly doubt DJ is bothered by any of this, he's too laid back and fair dues to him, there's enough work stress in the world today. Rumours abound on $125m deal done with him, sure that's front loading all his future PGA winnings

The nightmare scenario is for it to end up like the BDO and the PDC.

I'd hate for DJ not to be playing the majors as he's undoubtedly one of the world's best players (currently in a blip of sorts) and the majors would be poorer without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Shank Williams

Will be bliss never to have to watch a Sergio hissy fit ever in a major again - kudos to the saud

• Advertisement

I'm afraid you'll still be seeing him every year at Augusta. Probably still the others too until his OWGR drops off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Only at the par 3 coverage or maybe teeing off on day 1. I don't see him competing at Augusta again.

Why not? I highly doubt Augusta will ban him, Phil, Schwartzel and DJ from playing, just can't see it happening.

Edit: Ah I see what you mean by competing now, haven't had my morning coffee yet.. 🤕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

Westwood giving away 100 free tickets. I presume they’ll probably give away more than that to get people in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Kevin Na resigns from pga tour over it, did mention he'd face disciplinary action if not. Think people will only care about DJ if he's not on pga tour, nobody really bothered about the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

That’ll speed up pace of play on pga tour so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Has any player come out and said that Saudi already sponsor tournaments and no one has a problem with players playing them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In fairness he’s a reasonably high enough profile player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

Na was never a very enjoyable player to watch although he was often in contention at weekends. He could do very well on this tour.

The only player apart from DJ on the list that I would miss is Gooch. He is a very good player and looked to be on the rise. Maybe Canter as well from the European tour. The vast majority are has-beens or never-weres.

Advertisement