Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I agree with social housing. But I don’t agree with handing it out to welfare lifers. The whole system needs radical transformation but it’s so imbedded and multi generational now that we are far too gone

Let’s agree to disagree. My own very recent directly comparable experience would lead me to advise anyone renting that they’d be better off in London. But you’ve a different experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I definitely find London cheaper for food for similar items when I'm there. Things like meat and milk are the exception, but for most of what I'd eat, London prices are slightly cheaper, and there's more choice when it comes to where you shop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

The UK announcing a raft of new measures to help with inflation over there. Surely our lot will be under pressure to follow suit. £200 more for energy bills for them. £650 for low income households.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The think the issues facing many Britons is worse...the energy bills in the UK seem to be significantly higher than ours in...

Happy to be corrected on this, but I know a few living in England and their energy bills & Council Taxes are crippling compared to what we face here in Ireland, also our welfare is more generous than the universal credit on offer in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Id be interested to know as well. I'd be pretty surprised if mainland UK customers were paying more than us for energy.

The people I know, it's more a higher percentage of their earnings... going to Energy & Council Taxes...

Now UK is massive compared to Ireland and very variable between regions

Well no, they're measures to "help" cover up the issue while making it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

It's baffling. We were due a recession, Covid came, temptation was to paper over the cracks, understandable. Inflation was a side effect that was seen coming (only by nuts like me who think massively increasing the money supply while supplies for many good and services still is nowhere near recovered) but surely once the war and energy prices came in they'd realise that they were just spending themselves into a much, much bigger catastrophe. Especially with the Brits, they should (but aren't it would seem) be at least somewhat insulated compared to Europe for energy prices and Sterling has done fairly well against the Euro so there's still plenty of suppressed inflation for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Their energy bills are worse, a few people I know over there are paying almost double now for their energy bills than this time last year and it's looking like energy prices will rise again. Scary times for people on low and fixed incomes, for most people really.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

There's nothing left for our government to give Irish people. Even the emergency Covid payment money was used on Ukrainian refugees. Housing Minister has told County Councils to spend spend spend on finding places for them to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Ireland is particularly liable to have higher inflation than the rest of the Eurozone. We are a high cost country with lots of FDI and financial money coming in. And as I said in an earlier post it might just suit the Irish government in terms of inflating away debt.

If the ECB is more in tackling recession mode rather than tackling inflation mode then we could see a monetary policy that more suits central Europe than it suits a booming economy on the periphery.

Remind you of anything?

Yes, the early 00's when our property market bubbled. Lagarde seems very reluctant to go aggressive with interest rates and now appears more concerned with recession in continental Europe.

Where does this leave Ireland?

We may see inflation remaining high in Ireland and questions will arise about our competitiveness. But booming high tech cities generally do drive higher cost of living prices, i.e. San Francisco etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

Inflation for the month ending May has risen from 7.4% in March/April to 8.1%

Quite a jump

Will we see double digits by the end of summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

labour party today looking for summer bonus payment for non-workers and €15 euro per week rise for social welfare recipients

when will those in employment who pay for this largesse get pay increase themselves to mitigate again surging inflation.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

CPI may eventually get there yes.

But inflation is already at double digits. It's baked in. When they created the extra euros, they devalued the incumbent currency and hence it's just a matter of that largesse expressing itsllelf.at the other end of the system.

Don't mind the CPlie.

Christ I got a €20 a week raise last week, but after tax is it's only about €14...while I am paying nearly €2 a litre for petrol to get to work...it's fare frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 18,057 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Every single day you wake up poorer, that's the reality of it now.

Shanghai is reopening now that will push up freight demand again and prices, the shipping companies are making outrageous profits while consumer goods imported will rise again on top of the increase in fuel prices. It is going to get so much worse until it peaks and reverses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Ah the Labour Love Island Bonus

Labour are as irrelevant as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Every cafe, restaurant and bar is crying out for staff. It's time that jobseekers are actually made seek out a job. Why would we increase the weekly payment to non-workers.

• Advertisement

Because **** you. That's basically their logic.

Like if you're getting rent paid or social housing that's the guts of a full minimum wage job on its own. Rents going up by a couple of hundred a month? Sure widening the tax bands to save workers 500 a year will cover it? We all know it won't but that'll be the height of their ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some non EU country's will be hit worst, country's that depend on tourism, that import food and that rely on importing oil gas tourism has not recovered in many country's , may people will switch to buying Tesco aldi products . We had high inflation before but if you are under the age of 30 you won't remember it, gen z grew up with zero inflation so its probably a shock to them

The main increase for gen z was house prices and high rents

When the cost of food bread goes up in country's like India Iran and

African country's t causes political unrest

One day later, oh look https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0603/1302821-housing-assistance-payment/ 35% increase in HAP discretionary cap (because a huge proportion already get more than the headline maximum). That'll calm inflation right down and brings rents right down. 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The workers party is now the non workers party.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Tortilla wraps in Lidl have gone from 79c ->99c, a 25% increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I'm H A P P Y.

I'm H A PP Y.

I know I am.

I'm sure I am.

I'm HAP P Y

If you stay in fiat currencies, you wake up poorer.

Venezuela, Lebanon, Turkey, you stuff right now when you get paid.

At the height of the Weimar inflation, workers were paid twice daily.

Buy what you need for the next 12-24 months upfront. Alternatively, sell your counterfeit confetti to a willing victim and be paid with real money;- gold or silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Mark Blyth (economic historian and political scientist at Brown) holds that the link between the inflation we're currently experiencing and the pandemic income supports in the US / Europe is negligable. In the case of the US, the Federal cheques were issued and spent 9-12 months before the current bout of inflation took hold, and if there was a smoking gun that the supports were the cause of inflation, it would have been immediately obvious then. There may be marginal second order effects on prices, but they were and are overstated. Countries that had next to no income replacement supports are experiencing the inflation as well.

He holds (and I'd be confident this is the case as well), that unprecedented shocks to the supply chain are for the most part responsible. Top-tier commodities from oil, gas and agricultural inputs from Russia all contstrained in a flash, and one of the world's largest workshops in the greater Shanghai area locked down for months on end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

‘Costs are off the absolute charts’, say Cork hoteliers

cork hotelier attempts to justify the nose bleed hotel room prices being charged...

Advertisement