Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two motorcyclists killed today on M50

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

Ban motorbikes from the M50?

Shockingly biased comment, especially when initial reports from the accident are that two bikes touched wheels. A horrible mistake to make, but a mistake nonetheless.

No dangerous riding, no undertaking, no manoeuvring without signaling etc.

Ban motorbikes from the M50.

How about getting getting more garda bikes on the motorways with helmet cams catching people committing offences and hammer them for it.

So many offences happening on the roads going unpenalised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

So we flood the m50 with Gardai to catch motorbikes because they can’t obey the law?

They don’t pay towards the M50 and at this stage are a danger to themselves and everyone else on the road but especially the M50. Ban them off it, I know it won’t happen but it should

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

Dick comment considering it was an innocent mistake that seems to be the cause in this case, but hey.

For all the bikes I be seen acting the idiot on the M50, I’ll raise you a factor of 100 cars doing the same, not blaming one or the other but people are stupid and tragedies will happen regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

There have been a number of crashes on the M50 this week, (like every week). Only 1 of which involved a motorbike.

2 cars ended up in a field near Ballymun yesterday after loosing control on the M50. Go put yourself in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

You’re coming across as revelling in this accident. Either that or trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

Where did I say the garda would be catching bikers?

You clearly have an anti biker agenda here and you lack the sensitivity required to participate in a discussion like this.

The worst road users are car owners by far. Wrong lanes, no signalling, tail gating, too fast, not using mirrors, holding cups of coffee while changing lanes without looking or indicating.

It's frightening how unaware of their surroundings that some car owners are, but hey let's blame bikers and dance on two mens graves while we're at it.

You're a disgrace

Who is dancing on anyone graves

The discussion is about motorbikes in general and not about two bikerS who tragically lost their lives

As usual on boards it flying off the handle.

I say bikes are bad on the roads and you fire back it’s car users, so can I now claim you are dancing on the graves of people who died on roads in cars? Not that I would in the first place but that seems to be your logic

As far as I am concerned the M50 is too busy to have bikers flying in and out between traffic at speeds well past the speed limit without crash’s that end up fatal. Either drive on teh road and stick to a lane and pass like every other road vehicle or stay off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

There is 1'000 times the number of crazy car drivers than there are bike riders. Bikes tend to suffer more as they are not as protected as car drivers. I lost track of the number of cars and jeeps that drive right up to my back bumper and hurtle over bad roads like rally drivers. Most bikers I know [I am one of them] tend to be respectful and careful. The odd bad apple does not mean the whole bag is rotten. A better network of bike schools and advanced bike rider courses would greatly help bikers keep their skills up, as it stands things are only just satisfactory.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

'Ban motorbikes off the M50' ffs heard it all now. I'd much perfer they ban all the electronic distractions in modern cars. There is a horrible attitude by a sizeable portion in this country, which has become more prevalent with social media towards 2 wheeled road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

In all my years driving on the M50, I've only ever felt nervous from the erratic driving by car owners.

The ones weaving from lane to lane, overtaking & undertaking to get somewhere a few minutes quicker. On a wet day, I like to leave a reasonable gap between the car in front only to see drivers use it as an opportunity to swerve in front of me.

That said, I never have or would hate a child of mine to drive a motorbike because of the high risk of a fatality in a motor accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

How about we ban all the drivers with only one person in a car? That's why it's so busy. There should be a dedicated lane for buses to do an orbital route of the city, and for motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

By all accounts they collided with each other which caused the accident, very careless riding in a pair that really shouldn't happen ....and given their ages unlikely novice riders

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a very sad loss of life.

The M50 though is a very dangerous road for any motorist. The lane discipline for example is shocking.

I liken the M50 to a war. Driving standards are so poor

Can you give me an example of something that was an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Some kind of mechanical failure. But even then if you never serviced your vehicle or ignored weird noises it wowouldn't be an accident.

Accidents are very rare and it's a word that let's poor driving or negligence off the hook.

Let's take this "accident". Before some details came out I said one of possibly four people make a mistake and we will never hear the real cause of this and bikers will carry on as usual and car drivers will carry on like usual. Looking at the last few comments I was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Have always felt my danger levels increased considerably when driving with other bikers in a group compared to just driving solo.

Their age wouldn't necessarily indicate anything as certainly we can have middle-aged first time bikers or even bikers returning to biking after having had a motorbike in their youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

You are using a thread about two deaths on the M50 to push some sort of bizare anti motorbike agenda, By the sounds of it id say you need to be banned of the M50 if you really do drive that it is. your attitude is terrible.

If you think you need 5 mirrors to spot a motorbike coming from behind is suggest going back to take some driving lessons.

Not sure what you mean by weaving in and out of traffic as if that exclusive to bikes only. I see all sorts of vehicles do this on the road.

If you mean filtering then it sounds like you might of had a run in before cutting across someone who was filtering, probably explains your bizare 5 mirror comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Can you explain how an inanimate motorcycle is "lethal"?

I would have thought hitting a wall at 100k could be lethal, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Was behind a car last week on road to Tralee from limerick, I was like 2-3 car lengths behind on a nice wide national road, another lad on a bike overtakes me close enough that if I'd stretched my leg or moved slightly to avoid something on the road we'd have hit. He overtakes into the space between me and the other car and then instantly exists off the road.

Can't stand people doing that (bikes or car), either you're a **** and it's a power thing or you're so inpatient and unaware of your surroundings that you don't know your exists next.

In the car today in the lashing rain a bike with a passenger cut in right at a tight small roundabout, if I didn't brake he'd been hitting my car or divide.

Does the 1.5m rule for cyclist apply.

Post edited by Varik on

• I absolutely hate the M50. It has too many entry/exit points too closely spaced together and is quite bendy, all especially on the southern half of it. I avoid it at all costs, have known too many people affected by mishaps on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nothing weird about it at all. Emergency services moved on from 'accident' terminology decades ago. They talk about RTCs not RTAs.

There are formal guidelines for journalists on reporting, which emphasise not using 'accident' terminology.

Unless you know ALL the details of any particular incident, you can't say it was accidental. In situations like there where there are no details of any investigation, 'accident' is at best inaccurate.

There are also questions about how far we stretch the term 'accident'. If an incident was caused by excessive speed, was that 'accidental'? The driver or rider doesn't accidentally put their foot on the pedal or twist the throttle. They are deliberate actions. The driver or rider doesn't accidentally check their phone while driving. Very few road crashes are entirely accidental and unavoidable. The vast majority are down to the behaviour of one or other of the participants - speeding, mobile phone use, drink/drug driving, fatigue driving, no seat belts.

Accident terminology was created by PR companies working for car manufacturers in the 1930s and 1940s, to spin press reports of road deaths and persuade people that these are sad, unavoidable tragedies. The PR folks did a great job.

What do you mean by 'don't pay'?

I've seen a few incidents of dangerous riding by motorcyclists, speeding and zipping between lanes on the M50 over the years.

On EVERY single M50 journey, I see dangerous driving, speeding, cutting between lanes, using mobile phones for calls, texting, video chats.

Cycling and motorcycling I've never been hit by a bike. Over the years 3 times I was hit by cars, two of those drivers were on the phone, one going out live on Instagram at the time of impact, I was stationary at a red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Anytime there is a motorcycle death on the roads it brings out the trolls / anti bike brigade in their droves. They have their agenda. I've been sucked in before. They need their few minutes to rant and spew.

Fúck them and the horse they rode in on. They'll be gone from the bike forum next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

M50 is free for motorbikes, I think that’s what he’s getting at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

Very thorough reply, but I'm happy to assume it was an accident. I don't care what terminology emergency services use, two men have passed, and I don't think arguing over technicalities helps in any way.

I do realise this type of thing is what you live for, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

The ratio of cars to motorcycles in 2014 was 52:1 so in fairness you are bound to see more bad driving by car drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

The sooner they install average speed cameras on the M50 the better.

Whilst some see them as money generators the facts speak for themselves.

Here in NI they have been on the A2 for years.

You rarely hear of a crash on the A2 these days whereas previously it was a very regular occurrence causing untold delays for thousands of motorists.

It may not have prevented Fridays accident as that was a freak accident, but it would make the road a lot safer with a lot less crashes.

As someone that drives a lot, I generally find bikers some of the most mannerly on the road.

Advertisement