Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

And slurry is variable too. Slurry from animals not fed meal is only glorified water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Definitely, poor grass going into the tank will only lead to poor grass going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That is still no reason to feed ration even if it was completely true. Yes slurry with ration in it is better than stuff without it. However it's expensive fertlizer with ration at 400/ton.

The quality of the grass will decides the quality of the slurry. If the grass has been fertlized and cut early the slurry will reflect this. If the grass was growing a.long time and cut in late June the slurry will reflect this as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ground poor in K, will produce silage poor in K and then slurry poor in K.

Ending back with things not oK.

Moral of the story, if you only soil test one block for everything, make it the silage ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭StevenToast

How will you claim this 1000 euro?

How do you prove how much ground you cut for silage?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Just aswell that i didnt listen to met eireann earlier in the week and cut for hay.....some rain here today....

The only time to trust met eireann is if there is High Pressure over the country for a week....

The farming forecast last Sunday on rte was the most inaccurate I have ever seen. Put off cutting as a result. Could be waiting a long while now, will end up with poor silage and plenty of it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Always said it …u look 2/3 days ahead when planning silage not a week as things can and do change …at this stage real quality Is gone from silage …looking at v low 70s at best and mostly 70’and under ….some heap of feed gathered around country in last week

Met Eireann should not forecast weather past 3 days....

Shysters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Good loser

It depends. The P and K should come through fully. Dilution affects the fractional readings. the IFJ had a report of an experiment there some weeks ago where the N content of some slurry was only 2%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Agree completely on met eireann,this is going on now a good number of years,pessimistic & then the colour weather warnings for a drop of rain or a gust of wind,personally go by BBC ni & bbc news before 11 o'clock at night for a clearer picture, complete with no drama.

Joanna & siobhan have had a muddling influence with competition for cool Queens between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d say you’re even being too generous at that. Unless silage ground was grazed right up to the middle of April then there’s not a hope it’ll be anywhere near 70’s now. Mid 60’s would be more like it I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭morphy87

Do many people here use Silasave and if so how do you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Cut here 9th/10th of May and would of went a week sooner as it was starting to lose quality rapidly, anything been gathered up now is suckler cow maintenance quality stuff at best..

The year where quality 1st cuts where going to be vital in keeping meal usage down for next winter has gone out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jim Simmental

cut here 27/05/2022 - should make good enough stuff

just wondering how much daily weight gain would you get from SI x CH weanlings (Bulls and heifers) going into the shed in November at say 350 kg just on the end of May silage with no meal ?

would 0.5 kg be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

You'd be needing 70% plus dmd silage, over 11.5 for me and circa 12 plus % pr with a high fmpl intake, grass was 10-15 days ahead of itself maturity wise this year with the growth in April/May I couldn't see your silage testing like above unless it was grazed tight up to early April and was a very clean sward

Maybe not 0.5 but you will be near enough to it. Just two proviso's, first that it's a PRG not an old grass sward and that you feed minerals and vitamins on top of the silage. I also feed salt and limestone flour.

Some lads are going to be cutting the 20th of April the way things are going. The real question is will it pay to feed ration at 400-450/ ton and will you see that return in them at the end of May after they are out 8-10 weeks as a two year old

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Thanks, I’d say they will still need at least 1kg per head per day to keep them driving on

Fixed up with my bale man. 14/ bale to cut, take, bale and wrap. All in the bales are coming in at under 35/ bale. Second cut will cost a bit more per because of smaller crop and use them of 18--6-12 to provide some of the nutrients along with protected urea.

Slurry was well watered down ( up to 40% water added). 2.5k( in reality 1500 gallons) gallons per acre. 1.5 bags of 18-6-12/acre. That will give about 42-43 units of N. Dribble bar used for slurry.

I will need 15 units of N with that so 1/3 of a bag of protected urea per acre(46%N protected urea).

By the way there is no mystical land charge in that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

€35/bale sounds right.

I've never seen a forecast as bad. I would have cut everything last weekend had I known. Now there's a backlog of people needing silage made and the fields are getting stemmy.

• Advertisement

I have over the year decided on a time frame whereby au get decent we quality and quantity. That means being will to cut in the middle of the Fourth week in May on so that at the latest you cut by early June.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The weather was a bit mental today. There was a good wind out and there was a chill to it. I spent a few hours turning grass on the Dexta and was fecking cold even with a coat and hat on. Strange to be out turning grass with that many layers on me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Wouldn’t agree

tested slurry off dry cows fed haylage off a natural meadow

it was 6/5/27. Grand I thought

**** forecast wrong again. Ya'd think 24/36 hours out they'd be somewhat accurate. Even up till last night no rain forecast until this evening. And it horsing rain here now for the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I find the most accurate way to get the forecast from the met Éireann app is to look at the predicted rainfall on the map. Their “detailed forecast” could be predicting no rain at all for your area but when you look at the upcoming rainfall on the map you could see that there is rain predicted to be falling all around you so you’d know you’re likely to her some then.

Bur in saying that they’ve been very badly wrong a lot of the time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Wunderground did not work for me last Wednesday - got an unexpected downpour. I have downloaded the BBC app since

SayMyName had a very accurate one - the name I've since lost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Current situation is very hard to forecast exactly. There has been a number of small low pressure in a trough. Trying to pin down the exact position is tricky as a move of 20miles could out you in the dry or a downpour.

Looking at the radar is the key for a 3-4 HR window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭morphy87

light rain here at the moment and forecast for the day, was thinking of cutting tomorrow dinner time and picking up tomorrow night, what do ye reckon you that be a sufficient wilt? Would tedding be any help?

Advertisement