Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

As an outsider I can't get my head around the problem some people have with Shefflin managing Galway. Cork,Tipp, Limerick people wouldnt for one minute question a ayer from their county going off to manage another. Is it because Kilkenny is smaller than those counties and more insular and maybe feel its 'us against the world'? I honestly don't know.

I thought Eoin Cody was ok ,tried to work his way into the game. Could have passed a few times but didn't. Mike Butler was excellent. He's so small but so good. Lawlor was decent after a long lay off. TJ was excellent in the last 15mins. His pace is totally gone, there's nothing there . After that there were alot of competent performances. I think the shackles might come off Kilkenny now and they can play with more freedom. But im not sure if they are any better than last year ,it's hard to say

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Kk will be very happy with that considering their limitations up front. Tj was wonderful today but reliance on him to win puck outs and spank frees over won't win the all ireland vs limerick.

The ref added to what was an intense free taking competition. This suited kk all day long.

Galway were very poor and showed their frail mentality.

The handshake stuff was embarrassing. Shefflin was the bigger man. Cody doing his best to show his true colours. He might have plenty of Celtic crosses but his name is tarnished. A quick shake at the start of the game and the whole thing was put to bed. Petty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

I'll assume the first line is disagreeing with the comment. Kilkenny's starting forwards scored 0-3 from play. They essentially won the game on frees. Bad as Galway were, if they'd scored theirs they nearly have had a draw. Kilkenny will need 0-3 from at least three forwards in an All Ireland final where they'll be playing a team that'll score an absolute minimum of 30 points, and not half that like Galway. Doesn't look like Kilkenny have even one player who could reliably do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

More childish talk about the hand shake i suppose Ireland the land of gossip rumours. It has covered up Owens not doing anything about the stamping in the first half like the foul on Colin Fennelly in the 2015 all ireland it was also a clearly sending off offence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Great win Kilkenny and makes the route to Liam Mccarthy much easier(considering Limerick win today). But what a poor game of hurling - 3 points from play from starting Kilkenny forwards. Galway had no shows from Geroid Mcinerney, Joe Cooney, Cathal Mannion and Brian Concannon and Thomas Monaghan, Conor Cooney was more involved but must have hit 5/6 wides. There was a passage of play in the second half where Conor Brown went for a point and it dropped short from about 35 metres out then at the other end in the same passage of play Fahy went on a run and took a shot and hit 10 yards wide, really summarised standard of hurling. 22 points to 17 says it all on a good night but windy in Croke Park. When the game needed a match winner TJ was the man again.

I was in for the second half of the Joe McDonagh. It reminded me of why I loved the game again. Free flowing hurling, forwards being forwards, some of the goals and points outstanding. The modern day Liam Mccarthy teams play with 3 forwards and the rest are practically behind the ball or play the game in there own half, the Leinser Final last night was intriguing to watch but must very poor game for a neutral, and the standard left a lot to be desired.

Henry has a lot of work to do with that Galway team, they threw in the white flag after Cooney missed the free on the 21 under the Hogan Stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I wouldn't criticise Owens for not seeing the stamp, it was hard to pick up in real time without the benefit of replays, possibly the linesman should have alright.

Everybody else did James McGarry was booked over it.

There's no gossip. The handshake moment was live on television and we all saw what went on. That it doesn't suit your agenda doesn't change that. Reality still exists independently outside. Rumours are not needed when it's unfolding live on TV. It's the people claiming there's nothing in it are in fact the rumour spreaders.

Not they didn't Brendan Maher even said at half time he didn't see in real time but taught it was red looking at the replay that exactly what I taught.

Explain what you mean it does not suit my agenda i say other people have agenda to keep it going. They shook hands people on here must be into physology.

• Advertisement

Your agenda seems to be to gloss over the Cody-Shefflin thing. That's your agenda. You wouldn't be on your own. But last night showed it's an actual situation and anyone who claimed otherwise is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭kk.man

Thoughts this morning; Mikey Butler had a great game but Cody failing to make his way to Henry is just embarrassing. What message is that sending out to young people by icons and role models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭C__MC

Shocking form by Cody, that relationship is broken anyhow.

Cody has went and shook hands with opposing managers no problem over the years, he often went on a tour of croke park to find Sheedy, and always shook with Davy despite his antics. For him not to have a civil handshake with Henry, it is totally wrong. Seems real bad blood there.

Can't get my head around it, shefflin was the bigger man, he'll be diasapointed with Galway last night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SpudsandGuinness

Can't get my head around this handshake how people are so obsessed with it there two men wanting there teams to win it the Kilkenny way "stubbornness" is what drives Kilkenny to win . Not one a these men want to fold it looks that way. Anyway they shook hands what more do people want a big hug and a kiss that ain't going to happen they've too much respect for eachother to do that . Move on

People don't WANT anything in particular. What they do is up to them. But I never recall Brian Cody ignoring an opposition manager immediately after a game. I never recall an opposition manager deliberately staying rooted to his own area immediately after the final whistle. I never recall an opposition manager long after the Kilkenny manager has conspicuously shook hands with anyone he can get to then initiate a handshake and walk away shaking his head after what was said. Didn't strike me as a respectful exchange at all. Nor any indication that this is what drives Kilkenny on to win. I'm sure if it was that easy Cody would blank every manager.

But when something becomes a public spectacle people will comment on it. Especially when the interaction proves conclusively what many of the "move on, tis only the media making a thing out of it" people tried to deny after the last time.

Cody could have walked down the sideline at FT shook hands nipped the silly situation in the bud, instead he choose to walk around the pitch avoiding Henry like someone walking around a nightclub avoiding someone they recently broke up with, as I said on another thread when you factor in the personal grief Henry has recently been through I think its horrendous carry on from BC.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Lots of rubbish on here today and over analysis of a handshake. I do think Cody needs to retire but if we criticise him for lack of tactics against Wexford we have to give him some praise for his tactics today. Kilkenny mixed their ball well got their matchups fairly right. Also Adrian Mullen started wing forward and played there all game so his scores need to included for starting forwards. It's still not a great return but if you want to use stats to criticize at least use accurate ones. I think we will struggle to go further but at least the opportunity is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Loads of criticism after the wexford game about our use of the ball.Much cleverer last night and thought we used the bench really well. Galway tried to sit really deep and choke up full forward line but to many of them just let themselves down which isn't anything new.They just seem to be a group who if you let hurl can hurt any team .but not sure they have that real hunger that it takes to cope in real championship.

Ref gave out early yellow cards to Kilkenny players then seemed to readjust how he was going to ref game and starting letting dangerous tackles go without any card.Galway very lucky to finish without at least one red.

We will be difficult team to beat in a semifinal 3in a row completed.with what is possibly our weakest panel in years.is some testament to the spirit of that group of players and management.

Cody /shefflin thing is a side show of little interest to me .media need to move on lohan and davy wouldn't look at each other and it was talked about less

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

The same set of officials missed Paddy Deegan throwing the ball up and catching it again! As a neutral it was a shocking game of hurling. Before Kilkenny's late scores from play I think it was about 8 points from play to 6 or so. Poor and all Kilkenny, Galway were shocking, their touch was poor, the only real goal scoring chance they had Whelan's pass was very poor.

Cody's antics really showed him up as a bullying moron, against Shefflin of all people, his most loyal lieutenant for so long, does Cody believe that he owns the players that played under him?

One other thing with Cody being forever manager, must be massively frustrating for players that he doesn't rate, no other manager that might see a different use for what you have to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

1st off Thought Eoin Murphy was outstanding last night he has proved once again last night that he's the best shotstopper in the country, he was very measured with his puckouts aswell hopefully he can keep it that way when pressure will come on in the Semi Final...

Backline did all they could have been asked to do great to see Reid and Deegan's use of ball improve massively, Thought game bypassed Fogarty completely being honest but he worked hard as he always does while I'd say Kenny won't see anymore action around Midfield this year....A Mullen was very sharp and looks like getting back to somewhere near his best, Leahy coming in from the cold done well and that 45 mins or so he played will have done him world of Good....TJ very reliable last night didn't miss a beat with frees and won some hard ball when was needed....E Cody was being constantly fouled by whoever was marking him and didn't get enough fair treatment even though we had a higher free count.

We will need to improve massively month's time but they will have good time to work on thing's in training break won't do lads like TJ any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭robwen

A month gap to the semi seems more of a disadvantage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Mod Edit

Infraction issued

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

I've been a critic of Murphy over the past while he was very good last night, a good mixture between short and long(that's all we want, a bit of variety). Our fb line was very good, lawlor will get better after the runout and hopefully Walsh can get get out in front a bit more. The long range pts from Deegan were vital in keeping us ahead. In general, from 1-9 we were solid rather than spectacular. Definitely need to improve up front with our scoring returns. Workrate was good as always, just need a few of them firing more. TJ was awesome from those frees, absolutely brilliant and won the game for us. If a team like Limerick got those half goal chances, they would be buried.

The handshake.....Cody is letting himself and more importantly Kilkenny down by his actions(or lack of). Someone needs to have a quiet word in his ear. Who that someone is I honestly don't know but I'd like to wish him the very beat of luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ttowncat

I think Cody didn't do a thing wrong after the match. He walked onto the pitch at a 45 degree angle in somewhat the direction of Henry, and was glancing and peripheral vision of what stance Henry was taking. Who would go over to someone with a stance and a scowl like that? And Cody could well be the panto villain if he had of gone straight to Henry with people saying Cody rubbing it in/ can only be honourable when he wins.

I've never seen any manager take the stance Henry had last night. Rooted to the line, arms folded, without even going out onto the pitch to console his own Galway players.

I'd love to know, especially from anyone who could see the handshake live, was the reason Henry was shaking his head because of a photographer or journalist etc hounding him with a question that we couldn't see on tv? Or was it disappointment in Cody?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭kk.man

There is another element to the handshake, Cody speaks about virtues like honestly, respect, integrity etc regularly. He has spoken at business get togethers and other forums and then carries on like that.

I have massive respect for all he has achieved but extremely disappointed by this. There could be something the general public are not privy to either.

Davy can't get past 'dem boys' terminology. Apples and oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I watched the handshake thing back this morning. I honestly think cody should of just went over after it shook hands and moved on and there'd be nothing about it today. I do think Henry made a little more out of it by shaking the head and looking for more to be made of it. Barry hickey came over to cody and asked him did u shake hands and cody can clearly be heard saying its up to Henry to come to me.i tried uploading the video but it's too big to upload it said but anyone who goes back and watches it can clearly hear it.

I was dissapointed with galway and said leaving salthill Henry has a huge job on his hands. I thought think there's still a flakeyness in their team. The stamp was dirty he should be cited for it cause he knew what he was at. Richie was hit high twice in that sequence and cooney should of walked altho he done nothing during the match. Flynns one on lawlor was also a red if you're watching the other matches this year.I was delighted to see fogarty back he was a loss around the middle for his workrate.Hopefully padraig will be back the next day. Lads will know in training places are up for grabs and its a very open panel we had lads like fogarty,leahy and browne with nearly no time parachuted in the team. We've got to the semi final the last few years we need to kick on now to show progression.

I still worry about Tommy Walsh. It's hard to believe how far blanchfield had slipped down the ladder after a good league.Lawlor is really learning every trick of a full back and he used all his experience and whelan left the hand on the back and owens had no option but to give a free. It's a worry we scored so little from play but this was an arm wrestle and I'd prefer to win a bad one than lose a good one. We've scored fairly decent to date and got plenty of goals so I wouldn't be overly worried about that. Clare or wexford possibly in a semi final game is a winnable game for both teams but I wouldn't like to go up and get hammered in a final.

We definitely Improved from the last few days altho that wouldn't be hard. We'll be a tough nut for anyone in the semi final.Thank god we didn't revert to route one when the pressure came on so the trick now is to keep the head the next day when the pressure is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AllSquare

Whats the relationship between shefflin and brian cody if any? They mentioned on rte that Shefflin is eoin cody's uncle. Is eoin related to brian?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭amber69

Eoin Codys mother is Henry's sister. No relation to Brian AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

This is some game by any metric let alone in comparison to last night. Ref letting it flow a lot more but the skill level is phenomenal. Hegartys goal outrageous

• Advertisement

Advertisement