Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like Spain is going to supply Leopard battle tanks to Ukraine + training for them. Is this the first time heavy battle vehicles are supplied from an EU country? Depending how and where they're used - and how many Ukraine receive - you'd imagine this could be a big difference in key skirmishes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Sure. They violated the territorial integrity of another country. Was the US invasion of Iraq illegal? Same thing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,508 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Article 2 of the United Nations Charter, the Helsinki Final Act and the Budapest memorandum.

It's suspect it's a childish "gotcha" trick. I believe that memorandum wasn't "legally binding", so they'll start screeching that it wasn't "illegal", despite the annexation breaching UN charter, OSCE principles, the Ukrainian constitution, assurances in the international system and so on.

• Advertisement

"It doesn't really matter now"

It does for Ukrainians. The annexation, proxy invasion of the East and full invasion of the country were all actions of choice by Putin. He is 100% responsible. You keep attempting to "bury" and make excuses for this, which is of course pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SomewhereInTheMiddle

I tend to see everything with my own eyes. At least that way I can say something for sure.

1. Who could give a guarantee that EU/OSCE authorities would do that fairly? Do you know how OSCE authorities did their job in Donbas/Lugansk regions in 2014-2021 years? Seems they simply didn't document all these crimes made by the Ukrainian army these days, as we see - no Europeans are aware of that.

2. But we have 3 friend-families in Donbas and Lugansk regions, we were calling them all these 8 years. And all these 8 years they were hiding in basements from time to time because there was shooting. There was no normal life. There's a generation of kids who have grown up there in the last 8 years, and for whom it's "normal" to hide in basements. Did OSCE or EU gov tell you about this? Did you see video reports from these places? No EU news would tell you about this. All these 8 years EU people just heard on the news about how was it unfair to "annex" Crimea, and about separatists in the East of Ukraine. And only for that, most of Eastern Ukrainians are very happy about this Russian "military operation" (though this is not just an "operation", this is a huge war for sure) - because they finally got free.

3. I've been in Crimea for 2 weeks with my friends in 2014, the year when Crimea was "annexed". We were traveling and asked lots of local people by the way what they think about becoming a part of Russia. Around 30 people from different areas - starting from taxi drivers, to people working in local cafes, beaches, even just on the streets when we were walking around. Surprisingly ALL of them said they were happy. We couldn't find even one who would say anything against it. It sounded like a relief for them. We saw this old Crimea infrastructure - it was poor and mostly very old, as seems the Ukrainian gov didn't care about that region. I know, it's a private opinion, and it's only 30 people. But for us, it was pretty convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

I have not posted here for ages but I still smile to see so many posters who are so confident and bullish about how this war is going

there is so much propaganda from the western media and the western politicians it is impossible to follow what is going on

one day Russia are confined to small parts of the east , the next day they are outside kiev, the following day they are as finished as a military force and will lose the war soon, the next day they are a serious threat to Poland, Finland and other nations

the reality is we will wake up one day and there will be peace and we will then see who has won what. Until than everything is bullsh1t and propaganda from both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

Your post is, as the great Irish statesman, John Hume, described similar language, nothing other than "whataboutery".

"What about this, what about that?"

The salient point is that any votes taken in the illegally occupied areas of Ukraine by russian stooges, are null and void.

They are null and void because:

1. The votes were not free and fair, nor were they supervised by any reliable independent body.

2. The votes were taken in the immediate aftermath of military incursions and bloody fighting, essentially a coup-d'etat, in each case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't think so. EU/NATO countries that had Soviet weapons (incl. tanks, and even aircraft?) from when they were part of the Warsaw pact have been giving these to Ukraine (I think with agreements made that US, UK, Germany, France etc. will backfill their militaries with replacement NATO weapons) for quite a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh yeah forgot about previous schemes to give vehicles the Ukrainians would have been familiar with. Which made sense at the time; though given the older equipment that leads to a follow-up question ...

I don't know tanks: are the Leopards even any good as weaponry goes? Such that their presence would have Soviet commanders worried?

Where do you see "what about this or that"? I provided my own experience, while most of the forum residents are just re-telling what they heard from the media.

Or you really did see what happened in Ukraine these days? Have you ever been to Ukraine at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Sorry I don't know anything about weapons either, so you'll have to look to someone else to answer that - all I know is it was/is Germany's main tank, kind of like the UKs Challenger tank. As a non expert I'd guess how they'd compare to those old Soviet tanks might depend on how new they are, exactly what "model" etc. I haven't read about what you are referring to I'm afraid (Spain intending to send tanks).

With all due respect to you, you have engaged in "whataboutery" in relation to the question posed about the referendum in Crimea:

"Was the Crimean referendum independently monitored and assessed?"

You attempted to deflect from this by disparaging the OSCE and the EU.

Will you now address the point above?

I'm not trying to disparage anything or anyone. I'm telling you stories from me and my friends, the people whom I personally know. If you saw what I wrote: if OSCE and EU gov made fair judgments, why then in EU is nobody aware of what is really happened in Ukraine during all these 8 years, what my East Ukrainian friends were experiencing? If it wasn't told in western media or by OSCE, then how can we trust those representatives?

Also, why do think there were no independent supervisors? Are you sure at all? Who told you about that?

If you believe the votes were not free and unfair, then why did so many people across the Crimea say to me and my friends they're happy to become a part of Russia? I don't want to come up with answers, just telling you my questions.

I strongly believe: that you can't find the truth just by what the media says to you. Even monitoring media from both sides, I'm coming to a conclusion - both sides are lying. So I'm not inclined to support any side of the situation. As I said, I tend to have my own experience, to avoid being a "couch military expert".

And finally, and again: have you ever been to Ukraine? Did you see those people?

So, do you concede that the Crimean "referendum" was not independently monitored, to ensure a free and fair vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,534 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

On point No.3, how many people in Crimea would be okay with Russia invading the whole of Ukraine, bombing Kyiv, destroying Mariupol and killing 20k civilians there, Bucha, Irpin, Hostomel etc? People in Crimea will have to live for decades with the undoubted fallout of the Putin regime behaving in such a destructive fashion.

You speak as if Russia invading a country of 44m people is a perfectly normal and reasonable response to people in Crimea wishing to live under Putin.

Crimea was annexed by Putin. It and Sevastopol port were prizes that were always going to belong to Russia, one or another, Putin openly admitted this. Fringe separatists in Donbas were armed and supported by Russia to ferment a war in Eastern Ukraine. Polls at the time showed people in Donbas didn't support joining Russia. Doesn't matter, Putin needed a war in the country so that Ukraine couldn't join NATO. If Ukraine joined NATO, it would mean he couldn't invade it.

Also, you aren't fooling anyone.

No, I don't concede. In my opinion, everything was good and even better than could be.

And here's why.

1. There WAS A LOT of independent monitoring, from different countries, including journalists. More, there were a lot of those who BOYCOTED this monitoring. Some countries simply DIDN'T WANT to know the truth.

Just look for journalist reports like this (use Google Translate to read please): https://krylov.livejournal.com/3244969.html

2. Because of such things as "boycotted monitoring" I can say - it's obviously there's no such thing as "independent monitoring". Only journalists at best, but not gov representatives. Because what country's representatives can you imagine as "independent representatives"? US? UK? Germany? Australia? India? China?

If we're considering any powerful gov representative, then they simply can't be independent - obviously, any of them has its own interest. If we're considering smaller countries, they obviously depend on the opinion of bigger ones. So what can we treat as "independent monitoring"?

Sorry for my bad humor, but in that case, I can imagine only "Extraterrestrial monitoring".

Also, just for a second, pay attention: where did you hear this word combination "independently monitored"? I bet - in media, where else. They've told you, you have to use these words in such discussions like this. Well, it may work to some extent, but if you would think about the people (not governmental business and formalities), then you'd agree with me - there's no such thing. The only opinion that is important here - is the opinion of the people who live in that place.

I can also speculate why did Russian gov used militaries, why they didn't let western representatives take part in that etc. But if you have such questions - just put them on your head. E.g., imagine if someone would decide to lead a referendum in Northern Ireland to get merged with the Republic of Ireland, and say, Russia had an interest in that. Would you let the Russian government representatives come to "independently monitor" this voting?..

3. We can talk about international formalities (which AFAIK were broken many times by many countries such as US, UK, EU, Russia, ...), but truly I'm not an expert in that at all (neither you do - I bet). Thank God!

So I prefer to talk about people. This is what it's all about, right? People's lives, their families, work, business, etc. That's what is important. Isn't it?

So then, if we're talking about people - ask people. Democracy? Here it is. Not only referendum, but I asked them personally. I heard all these speculations on western radio and TV about "unfair" and "not free" votes. But I have talked to people who live in Crimea - what do I need else? I also asked them if they were forced to go to vote. If someone showed them a gun to go for a vote. Nope! They were running to vote because they really wanted that, and because finally at least they were asked.

Ask them yourself.

So my conclusion - everything was free and fair. I.M.H.O.

Did I answer your questions?

And would you finally answer mine, please?

Have you talked to Ukrainian people? Have you ever been to Ukraine? Do you have at least friends, relatives there?

Post edited by SomewhereInTheMiddle on

I see.

Again, with respect, every one of your talking points amounts to no more than

"Dúirt bean liom, go dúirt bean leí" as we say in Ireland.

• Advertisement

With respect?.. You haven't answered a single my question and tried to devalue my arguments by hiding behind citations and sayings. :)

Well, it's up to you. Rely on gov media, and don't verify all that media says to you.

God bless you.

Sorry if my comment sounded like that. It was related to the question about the "annexation" of Crimea.

And I'm not saying that this war is "normal". This is TOTALLY NOT NORMAL.

This is totally not normal as any other war, like in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, ... - in any country actually. And I'd be happy if we'd seen flags of those countries in European/American streets/football stadiums and other places too when these invasions happened.

But this didn't happen.

And now, when the war happens closer to Europe - what happened? Now it's scary! Like our people more important than Syrian or Afghan :(

Sorry for this negative note, but there's a lot of hypocrisy. Especially in media.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

You have provided absolutely nothing verifiable at all.

I could just as well say "well, I've been to Ukraine and Crimea twice a day since 1990 and 90% of my friends are not happy Russia invaded".

There you go, refuted.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

What do you mean by "verifiable"? I'm a live person, with real people's feedback. Of course, you don't know who am I. But do you know who are media to whom people tend to believe?

Do you want me to provide you with video records? I didn't do any back in 2014 (I simply couldn't assume it would be useful like now! We had a vacation in Crimea).

But just see how many people are in the queue for Russian passports right now, in Melitopol, Luganskaya region, in the "occupied" part of Ukraine:

https://youtu.be/OK-6QicwAY8

(turn on translations in subtitles: Gear -> Subtitles -> Translate -> English).

So could we still say that all the Ukrainians are not happy to be merged with Russia? I can't. It doesn't mean, they're happy with war, no! But they're not heard by their government too!

P.S. I'm not saying it's good or bad. I'm not inclined to any side of that process, and I hate this "Russian operation" in the sense that people are dying! I simply have friends and relatives there, that's why it's important for me.

Wow, reading this thread you wouldn't think the largest war on European soil since World War 2 is occurring.

Anyway, back to reality, when Russia isn't blockading Ukrainian grain or stealing Ukrainian grain and selling it, they are simply destroying it. This isn't just a war of colonisation, but one fuelled by a desire to destroy Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Yes they WERE invited. By the Crimeans. They refused stating that the semi autonomous region had no authority to invite them and that they had to be invited by Kiev. Kiev extended no such invitation. Why? What were they afraid of? That the vote might be judged fair and square? Surely if it it was suspected ahead of time that it was going to be a farce then prudence would have demanded the presence of the OSCE to substantiate this. Otherwise absent international observers it's very easy to claim impropriety and not have to provide proof.

Do you concede that it's possible to have a free and fair vote in the absence of the OSCE? The OSCE weren't blocked. The y weren't invited by Kiev. That right there tells me that Kiev had something to hide.

It is certainly impossible to any have free and fair vote wherever the current russian regime are in control. They are liars through and through. You can be certain everything they say is a lie.

The largest war since WW2? Did the Balkans War never happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

You might be a live person, you could be genuine, but you could also be a teenager in his bedroom in Tallaght being "edgy" on the internet or someone being paid to spread Russian propaganda from a desk in Glavset. I don't know and I won't tell which of these options I consider most likely, though I have a very definite preference.

The same could be said about me. So anything you say, like everyone you asked in Crimea was happy with Russian annexation, simply can't be verified. And on that particular point I call bullsh*t in any case.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

Advertisement